PDA

View Full Version : How do you figure out your women's clothes size?

carson
06-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Help! I'm wasting so much time with returns/exchanges!

I'm new to buying women's clothes for myself and I'm only doing it online because I haven't built up the courage yet to walk up to a sales person and say "Hi, could you help me find a skirt that's my size?" :eek: So far, I've bought a couple blouses and been successful on the first try. And I lucked out with a great little black leather mini skirt...ooh, ah. ;) But, I've had horrible luck at other stores getting my size right. For the record, I'm 6'3", weight 195lbs. and am 43-36-39. But here's an example of the problems I've run into: I ordered a couple similar skirts from GAP. According to their size chart, a 351/2 waist is a size 18 and a 371/2 waist is a size 20. Their sizing instructions said to leave a finger between you and the tape. So I ordered the 20. Well, the skirts were too big. So I called customer service and they said I should have sized down to an 18. Well, the 18's arrived and they were too big. So I exchanged them for 16's and THEY are too big! Hey, I wouldn't mind having a cute little figure, but this is getting ridiculous! What's a girl to do? Is it this particular store/manufacturer? Am I doing something wrong here girls? :confused: HELP!

Besides, fractlgrrl is flaunting a beautiful silk georgette dress from Chadwick's in her profile pic and if I can't have it, in the right size, I'm going to scream! :drool:

Carson

cd_donna2005
06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
sorry I can't help but have had the same thing as you success one time then not another. I haven't seen anything where if your a Mans XXX your a womens XXX ..? Has anyone? Each clothes maker seems to be a bit different.
from what i found out.

kymmieLorain
06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
What I have learned is that the womans size take you normal male waist size and subtract 20 you should have your womans size. Then you can go from there.

example: I wear 38 - 20 = womans sizw 18.

But am hoping to get into a 16 or even a 14

Kymmie

carson
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Ok, well, thanks for touching base donna. At least it's good to know I'm not the only one that's confused! And kymmie, thanks for your note. The votes aren't all in yet, but that's the most logical formula I've heard (and comes closest to what I've experienced to be true so far.)

Carson

MissChrissy
06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Ok, well, thanks for touching base donna. At least it's good to know I'm not the only one that's confused! And kymmie, thanks for your note. The votes aren't all in yet, but that's the most logical formula I've heard (and comes closest to what I've experienced to be true so far.)

Carson
Did you really call GAP customer service and ask what adjustments you should make to take into account the fact that you're not a GG? If so, I'm in awe.

Old Navy, by the way, has a nice return policy and cheap shipping ($5 flat rate). And if you return for exchange, they'll spring for the return shipping. I just ordered some stuff from them (coming tomorrow, first ever non-underthings clothes). I have no idea if any of it will fit. I wish I'd ordered the things I wanted in several sizes. Oh well, next order.

carson
06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Well MissChrissy,

Don't be too starstruck yet. Yes, I called GAP customer service (twice) and talked to them about their sizes and size chart and that the skirt was for someone with a 36 waist....I actually wrote a thread about this last week. I had every intention of just letting them know it was for me. What safer environment could I ask for? But the conversation started out vague enough and the gal kept saying things like, "So, what size waist does SHE have?" (Assuming, I guess that it was for my wife.) So I ended up chickening out and playing it safe. BUT, weedhopper! If you are ordering online and you have a significant other within, oh, 5,000 miles of your domicile, PAY ATTENTION!! You need to find/read my thread entitled "My wife was going to find out sooner or later.." I'll just leave it at that. :)

Carson

Maria2004
06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Well MissChrissy,

...I actually wrote a thread about this last week.
Carson

Which I replied to, and apparently was of no help :) According to my trusty, dusty sizing chart which works perfectly for me, at 35 1/2 inches your an 18, so I submit you might be measuring in the wrong place, too low most likely. The "natural waist" on a female is a couple of inches higher. And pull that measuring tape "Tight" not loose, forget about the finger thing, as tight as you can think you can stand it for extended periods of time. Bye:wave:

Maria

mmandy31
06-29-2005, 09:01 PM
I find that sizes are never the same depends wear you buy.
i buy a size 18 from one store and it fits good buy from some where else and it might be to big or too small.
some clothes i wear are a 16 and some are a 18 depends where they come from.

umbrellagirl GG
06-29-2005, 09:35 PM
hmm - I've never heard that subtract 20 thing and not entirely sure I would trust it. Perhaps it works better at the upper size ranges?

I'm a genetic girl, and only replying in this thread because at various points in my life I've worked retail (I really love it, too bad it doesn't pay well) and I hope that I can be of some help here.

At 6'3" I think that you'll find the best clothes by looking into "talls" - normal fashionable clothing (the Limited, Gap, Eddie Bauer etc...) is cut from a fit model, and then just scaled up or down proportionally. Depending on the store, a fit model could be anywhere from like 5'7" to 5'8' - thus a woman who is very HWP who is about the same heighth as a fit model will score big in that store.

It's also just important to remember that almost all clothing is bulk cut. Mis-sized stuff lands on the floor all the time. I've seen women come in and pull out the size 8 jeans and go through all 3 pairs carefully (or however many or on the floor) to determine which is the longest (or which is the shortest) of the 3 pairs - since there can be as much as inch difference between them. I do this myself since I am just slightly tall for a girl (just under 5'9"). So the farther you are from the fit model, the more of a challenge shopping can be.

Tall sizes are often designed for a woman 5'9" and taller and petites for a woman under 5'4" - my personal opinion is that Eddie Bauer makes the most reliable sizes. Just a personal bias though. My best girlfriend at work (also a GG) is 6 foot even and swears by EB too. You're a thin girl Carson - over 6 foot and not 200 pounds - and that picture of you in your profile looks great! I would guess you're a 14 tall and a large to extra-large in blouses - possible xxl in some styles. talls will give you a couple more inches in the sleeves and in the insem length (or several more inches in the length of pants and in the rise of the pants! Caution, when the rise is increased the fit of the pants changes dramatically!).

I wish we could go shopping together! It would be very fun! I'd put slightly more emphasis on your hip size than waist size since so money styles now are not at the waist.

Well, I don't know if that was any help or not. If you're in Seattle and you want to take a trip to downtown for some shopping I'm game. there's a shop in Westlake Center called tall girl (http://www.tallgirlshop.com/index.php) that I've thought it would be fun to check out, even though I'm technically not tall enough to be a tall girl! ;)

emmicd
06-30-2005, 12:05 AM
I think you might want to consider shopping directly for your favorite skirts and who says you need to ask a sales clerk. Just find your level of comfort when shopping in the women's department.

Maybe if you need a pair of slacks you may buy men's or women's for that matter and when shopping for a skirt keep it tucked under the pants and try them on in the men's dressing room. You may have better luck that way in finding your size.

If you're a cross dresser you will have to get over the shyness in shopping in the womens department. Just act normal and realize you're tring to find something you really want. That should be your motivation. No one really pays attention.

Just my suggestion.

Good Luck. Hope you find your size.

Emmi

emmicd
06-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Carson,

I would also suggest that you go shopping with the cute GG, Umbrella girl. Sounds like she would like to help you find your skirt in the right size. She's cool. If I'm ever in Seattle I'd like to have your advice too.

You're cool! Umbrellagirl.

Thanks for being understanding to us cross dressing girls.

Emmi