PDA

View Full Version : Historical dress

lara_myklund
04-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Is it just me, or would anyone else, love to dress in a victorian bustle dress?
I know it that for many, it probably wasn't a particularly nice time to live, but I think my ultimate fantasy would be to be a victorian wife, st at home doing needlework, dressed in a corset all day, and having someone fumbling up my nightdress at night.
:rolleyes:

simpsonfan
04-25-2004, 10:45 PM
actually
i would love to wear one too
like what the girl first wore in pirates of the carribean.

Robyn_P
05-07-2004, 11:56 AM
I too would love to dress in these period pieces. Some of them are so femenine and extravigant. Have you ever priced any of these ? Some corsets alone are very exspensive. Maybe a costume store would rent the the dress ? I may have to look into it.

lara_myklund
05-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I too would love to dress in these period pieces. Some of them are so femenine and extravigant. Have you ever priced any of these ? Some corsets alone are very exspensive. Maybe a costume store would rent the the dress ? I may have to look into it.

Found a store - Lara Corsets (no relation unforuantly):
http://laracorsets.com/photo_gallery-Gowns.htm
Waaaaaaaaay beyond my price range. :(

I'm placing my bets on re-incarnation, and coming back as an well-off 19th Century woman. :rolleyes:

Robyn_P
05-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Here is an excellent example of what I would love to wear.

Robyn :p

lara_myklund
05-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Just had a look on ebay - there are much cheaper gowns on there.

Robyn_P
05-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Isn't Ebay great !! I have made more purchase from Ebay than I have in stores. (not only CD items) It is amazing on the price differences. I have added many new Heels to my collection thanks to Ebay. Once you know your sizes it is the easiest and cheapest way to add to your collection. Just watch the shipping charges as some sellers take advantage. :p

joanne53
05-13-2004, 02:47 AM
OK - not historical as old, but historical as modern times !

I really would like to wear the sort of outfits (along with the authentic lingerie) which were all the fashion in the mid/late 1950's and into the sixties.
The styles made immortal by Marilyn Monroe, Maria Callas, Sophia Loren etc.

Now THAT'S what I call fashion!

:cool: Joanne.

Julie
05-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Here's a bit of history you may not know. Most of today's men's clothes were designed to aid men in battle. For instance, all shirt buttons used to have buttons on the left and button holes on the right. Well, swordsmen would remove their shirts during a fight so it would be less cumbersome. Since most were right handed they found it difficult to unbotton the shirts (while fighting) with the buttons on the left. The end result was buttons were put on the right enabling them to unbotton the shirts with only their left hand while sword fighting. Eventually all men's shirts were made this way but women's didn't change since there was no need.

Pants were created for obvious reasons. If you remember that scene from Braveheart where the Scotsmen turned to the English and mooned them then faced them and lifted their kilts to flash them. Imagine how happy the warriors were once that part of their anatomy was no longer exposed in battle! Enter pants.