PDA

View Full Version : Blouse or Shirt

Lee
05-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Hello Ladies,I love wearing skirts and would like to wear a blouse with them.(because they sound more girlie) Can anyone tell what the difference is between a blouse and a shirt.

I am starting to feel more relaxed when shopping in the women dep.with women walking around me.I just wonder around like they do and look at everything.I bought a purse because it was marked down.Does anyone else carry a purse?

I love my new life ! :p

Germaine
05-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Well I would say the difference in a shirt and a blouse is buttons...if the item has buttons all the way down the front it is a blouse...if it only has a few buttons then it is a shirt...and I think material has something to do with it also...but maybe it is like lunch and supper just a matter of what you call it...

Julie
05-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Good question but I'd say a blouse is something more feminine. A shirt can be either masculine or feminine only the cut would decide that.

When shopping I am very into feel. I check every garment out by feel and if I don't like it I don't buy it. As for a purse, I only carry one one when en femme.

http://illinoismatmen.com/images/emoticons/Julie_sig.gif

Lee
05-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Thank you laidies for the feed back .

eleventhdr
05-16-2004, 12:41 AM
i will attemp this once more i had it almost done when my entry was deleted. Anyway the blouse was a part of history dating way back to the days of kights when all clothing both male and female was bottenened from lef to right which ahd to do with combat situations this being th case that it was much easier for one when clothing did botton this way as an easy way for or before combat to greet one another with weapon in hand and extending ones hand in thi manner made it this way you do see. So It was not until just very recently that females took over dressing also as well in skirts and dresses before that it was both male and female type clothing and so bottening and blouses and skirts dreesses were zipped and bottened from the left. And then also the military had the pratice of blousing ones coat or shirt in the pants this is called blousing and the coats were called bloses as well. So yes I do vote for making all of this a come back fro both males and females it does take getting used to but once you do it is much nicer. thsi was taken over by females in jsut the last 150 years or so before that both males and female wore skirts and dresses it was not all that uncommen at all. check your clothing history and you will find out. More later Jay Suzy Ann!.

Bernadina
09-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I was browsing through the blouses in a thrift store one day when a lady came up to me and told me I was looking in the wrong place. The men's shirts were over there.

And then she proceeded to tell me that my mistake was not knowing that the buttons on ladies bouses are on the opposite side than on men' shirts.

As far as ladies blouses vs shirts are concerned, I think that the shirts are just masculine looking blouses.

Jen_TGCD
09-04-2004, 09:59 PM
According to my handy-dandy, downloaded American Heritage Talking Dictionary...

blouse (blous, blouz)n. 1. A woman's or child's loosely fitting shirt that extends to the waist or slightly below. 2. A loosely fitting garment resembling a long shirt, worn especially by European workmen. 3. The service coat or tunic worn by the members of some branches of the U.S. armed forces.

shirt (shurt)n. 1. A garment for the upper part of the body, typically having a collar, sleeves, and a front opening.

---Jen---------

Glenda
09-05-2004, 06:26 AM
In addition to blouses buttoning from the opposite side from men's shirts, the cut is also different. (Lucky) women have a larger chest (bust) area and a higher, thinner waist and are more rounded in the hips. Blouses are designed to fit this body profile. That's why you'll see darts and such in women's blouses and dresses. And the fabrics and colors are much better than most men's shirts.

Amber_Chgo
09-05-2004, 06:30 AM
A "blouse" is all in the way it makes you feel. So feminine.

Amber

Priss
09-05-2004, 09:03 AM
You know... I've never heard a woman refer to a shirt, unless it was a man's garment. Excepting a T-shirt of course... I generally hear the terms 'blouse' and 'top' used for women's upper garments. Tops are generally more of a casual item, while blouses tend to be more girlie... or frilly. :)