PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite decade for women's clothing

kylie
05-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Hi Girls,

I recently saw an old black-and-white film in which the women looked stunning, not least due to the clothes they were wearing.

Tight pencil skirts (is that the correct name?). stockings with the line up the back, highish heels and walking in such a wonderfully feminine way - swinging their hips etc. I have an enduring image (which I think is real and not just imagined ) of women in such films slowly putting on suspenders etc.

Anyway, it did make me think that the 1950's (although not born then) are my favourite decade for womens clothing. As I think through the fashions from other decades since then, several came to mind but none really possessed the same degree of feimininity, sex appeal and grace.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and perhaps some good films to try and watch.

Lani
05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi Kylie

My favourite is the fifties. I love the dresses of that period, so girly and feminine together with the nylon slips, suspenders and stockings - wow.

Love Lani xxx

Jenny
05-24-2004, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I have to say that my favorite style of girl's clothes is the current style which is quite a bit like the styles in the 60's. I love tight hiphugger style jeans and really short miniskirts and tight short shorts. I think the tops are real cute too. I guess I just don't have much experience with older styles of dressing up, like from the 50's. I don't like disco dressing like from the 70's and 80's too much either. I think I am either a jockette dresser or a hippie girl born in the wrong era. :D

Jenny

berkstv
05-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I'm with Jenny on this one, there's no time like the present. Having said that I've noticed Fifties style skirts and tops are in the shops at the moment, so maybe that's the best thing about current fashions, practically anything goes.
My absolute least favourite decade for fashions would have to be the 80s though. Why have they made a comeback???

eleventhdr
05-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Hmmm Have to think on this one there were a lot of great eras for womens clothing!.

Georgina Milnes
05-24-2004, 01:25 PM
l must agree l love the fifties fashions,the are my favorites too ,l just love tight fitting clothes,and women look so feminine in them ,oh how l wish!

windycissy
05-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Another plus about the 50's is that well-dressed women always wore gloves in public. For the occasional dresser, that would solve a huge problem!

melissacd
05-24-2004, 04:46 PM
In terms of recent history I think that I like the forties and fifties because the styles were much more feminine then than they tend to be now.

I also have a great love of the clothing worn in the 1600's through mid 1800's. They really knew how to dress then.

MichelleH
05-24-2004, 04:47 PM
I think earlier decades may have had more elegant styles, but I like the 90s to the present myself. Actually, for me its not only the clothes--I think makeup techniques have really come a long way in the last 15 years.

Michelle

Gabrielle
05-24-2004, 06:31 PM
I think this this decade to be the best.

There is so much more choice now then before. And when Julie's dream of having that line of clothes for us. Who knows?

kylie
05-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Just by coincidence I saw a little bit of an old film on BBC2 at lunchtime today. I think the main female star was Joan Fontaine (going by the credits) and she was always dressed immaculately. In one particular scene she was wearing gloves which someone mentioned earlier

Somewhat ironically i feel, the film was entitled "The Bigamist" - two wives for him, two ways of dressing for us.

joanne53
05-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Films to watch? There are so many, but I'll try and list a few (mainly 50's & 60's).
All About Eve
The Apartment
Dressed to Kill (not 50's or 60's )
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
High Society
Holiday Inn
How to marry a millionaire
Monkey Business
Some like it hot
White Christmas

All of these are in my collection and feature (to some extent) fashion & clothing. Try to watch Monkey Business - young Marilyn Monroe (stunning!) with Cary Grant (being Cary Grant!) and Ginger Rogers (in one of the early scenes we get a stunning view of the things that made her famous - georgeous pair of legs!)

:) Joanne

Marti2004
05-26-2004, 07:47 PM
I love the present day clothes!! The feel of the fabrics over stockings and a garter, the feel of the blouse over the teddy, the bounce of the hair on my shoulders..........AAHHHHHHHH! Just wish I could stay smooth all year!!!!!

:) Marti :)

Danielle1960
05-27-2004, 02:57 PM
I think I like the 40's best. I really have favorites from all the decades but the 40's was really nice. The shiney dress, silk stocking :) the 50 with the shorter dresses and the 60 with the hippie fashion. Today I think women (or at least most) haven't been taught how to dress well. Of course they look nice but the air of sofistication they used to have flew out the window.

Danielle

DaanaTS
09-13-2004, 12:34 PM
*Raises Hand* *Giggles* Count me in for the '50's
Take Care
Daana

jessicadiane
09-13-2004, 12:45 PM
My favorite decade would have to be late eighties to early ninties.Women dressed so elegant going to work then

Amelie
09-13-2004, 02:06 PM
My favorite decade for clothing would be the decade I had the most fun dressed, and that would be the late 70's to the early 90,s Basically the 80's with a little over-lap. It started when Sid Vicious died and ended when Curt Cobain died.
Amelie

nuffsaid
09-13-2004, 06:23 PM
I'll have say that the sixties styles were the best. I would like to be able to wear a casmere sweater and a hoopskirt sporting a bow with my ponytail.

Second best would be the 80's look. When I was smaller I always wanted to dress like either Cindy Lauper or Madonna. I loved the outfits especially the laced gloves. I lived with my parents then so I really couldn't go for it.

Lawren
09-15-2004, 06:13 PM
I've always been somewhat entranced by ladies of the 40's. The simple elegance of their outfits never ceases to grab my attention when watching films of the era. I also love their hair styles.

CindyT
09-15-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm with Jenny on this one, I like the hip hugger jeans, mini-skirts, and halter tops like the styles of the 70's that seem to be coming back!

Ava Mouse
09-15-2004, 06:26 PM
I like the movie star portraits of the 40's, long flowing shiny gowns with lace, etc. The 50's had some of that, as well as the 60's. I like watching old Twilight Zone episodes, they had some cute outfits in there... Especially Julie Newmar! :D

I like some of the 80's prom dresses, lots of deep vivid colors...

The 90's and recently have been dissappointing with the hip hugger/t shirt stuff, but I see some cute 80's skirts returning...

Rebecca Jeanne
09-16-2004, 04:40 AM
I'm also a fan of the 50's and classic wear, some of which can still be found. One of my favorite outfits is a lace blouse, navy sweater vest, and pleated Pendleton skirt.

A great movie for 50 styles is Mona Lisa Smiles.

MistyCD
09-16-2004, 04:55 AM
I would have to say the present, as miniskirts, high heeled sandals and pantyhose are in fashon.

Elinor
09-16-2004, 05:01 AM
Full Skirts with many Petticoats it must be the 50s, bring them back. Style real style in the 50s.

samanthajay
09-19-2004, 03:09 AM
My favorite decade for clothing would be the decade I had the most fun dressed, and that would be the late 70's to the early 90,s Basically the 80's with a little over-lap. It started when Sid Vicious died and ended when Curt Cobain died.
Amelie

i have to agree with ya amelie. the girls back then were totally hot and im leaning toward either hair band style or the punk and newwave style cindy loper is queen