PDA

View Full Version : Television drama featuring a crossdresser

Ruth
05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I just finished watching a TV show (this is in the UK) where one of the threads of the plot featured a married couple with a CD husband.
The show is basically about a lawyer in a small country town who deals with interesting problems each week. This week the wife comes to him and says she wants a separation: on questioning she reluctantly says husband has taken to wearing dresses and she just can't tolerate it.
It was pleasing to see that the lawyer tried to mediate and gave out all the talk about if you love each other can't you find a way to accommodate this, etc.
What I found unrealistic was the husband's account of how he came to be a CDer though. They had been married 14 years and things were getting a little dull in the bedroom so he tried wearing lingerie as a way of "spicing up the marriage". But, once bitten, instantly smitten, and after that he just had to wear dresses around the house all day. No previous experience necessary.
Also the onscreen depiction was of a CDer from the neck down. He had regular guy hair and no make-up, but wore a series of beautiful designer frocks and suits.
The conclusion was a happy one though - the wife relents, and he's even wearing panties under his suit in the final scene (so he says...)
All in all, not too bad a depiction of the CD predicament.

renee99
05-20-2007, 08:14 PM
And what was the name of it? Maybe it turns up on Bittorrent or YouTube...

marie354
05-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Has this or will it be on BBC America? I'd love to see it.
:hugs:

Mitch23
05-21-2007, 03:02 AM
You got in their first, Ruth - thanks for saving my digits! I thought it was very good and my unsympathetic wife watched the whole thing! It was called Kingdom by the way. The lawyer had some interesting comments to make such as saying to the wife that it would be considered ok if she wore a rugby shirt, and although acting for her that nothing in his lifestyle represented 'unreasonable behaviour'

carolinewalker_2000
05-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Unlikely to be shown on BBC America Marie, as it was shown on one of our commercial channels here in the UK.

Dixie
05-21-2007, 05:36 AM
That's cool!
Mitch, how did your wife react, i.e. positive, negative, indifferent??

TVStevie
05-21-2007, 08:50 AM
It's available to download on alt.binaries.tv along with the previous four episodes - if you don't have access to newsgroups, I recommend an Easynews account, $10 to download 20gb and you're free to cancel at any time.

Stephen Fry is one of the greatest comedic minds that his country has ever produced, and his autobiography, "Moab is my washpot" is fascinating. For Americans who are unfamiliar with him, he's quintessentially English; I half-suspect that he wears a bowler hat to bed. :)

Mitch23
05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
That's cool!
Mitch, how did your wife react, i.e. positive, negative, indifferent??
Thanks for asking it was kind of an interesting reaction neither positive nor negative but certainly not indifferent. she didnt like the look of the crossdressing but of course he was not using makeup or a wig and was not concerned with look but the comfort and feel of womens clothes. it was put across in such a positive way ie when wife is challenged about whether she wants life without him, and the fact they are getting on better since he started dressing because they are not destructively argueing like they used to - sort of mirror of our circumstances. it was probably more uncomfortable for me to watch than her. i know that i need to let it digest before i start discussing it with her or that she will discuss it with me. i think its another step along a long journey but the timing was awesome!

Kimberly
05-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Kingdom.......

They can't do a Norfolk accent between them to save their lives!! (I should know, I come from Norfolk!)

ElleCD
05-21-2007, 04:56 PM
I saw the show as well. I thought "someone is trying to get some positive messages across here". The concept that the guy was out and about in a dress but no wig or make up would seem ridiculous to a crossdresser but I guess that the show's makers felt that this was as palatable as they could risk for their mainstream audience. I had mixed feelings about it in the end but I was glad someone was obviously on our side and prepared to say so.

Elle

Sonia_cd
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Where does one audition for these parts???? anyone???? sigh....!!! :sad:

Sonia

Kate Simmons
05-21-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering why they always tend to make these shows so morose. They need to put in some scenes to show the humor of the thing. For instance, have the guy go to a pub dressed and passing pretty well and some half drunk bloke tries to pick him up and won't take "no" for an answer and then show how he proceeds to get out of that "pickle":eek:. Now that's real life. I won't say it's based on personal experience--will leave that one to your imagination.:p

sandcastle
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I saw this episode of Kingdom, thought it was ok.

My enjoyment was reduced by trying not to appear too interested in case my SO asked me what I thought of CD-ing, and I would probably give the game away with a really stupid smile on my face.

Also there was a TS (played by a GG) in an episode of 'My Family' about a fortnight ago. The script seemed to handle it quite well. Robert Lynsey and Zoe Wanamaker spot on as usual.

Sandra.

Deanna2
05-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Over the past couple of years I have been intrigued with what seems to be an increasing incidence of CD occurrences on TV shows - sitcom or so-called drama. It may be only a minor character in a minor scene, but they are there. I can't recall a specific example right now.