PDA

View Full Version : Choosing the right wig...

Kimmy
06-03-2004, 06:07 AM
Hello again everyone. I've been trying to find the right wig for me for a while... I found a nice one, but I'm still not completely happy with it. I recently bought a new one but despite the photos and my hopes, it doesn't look good on me at all.

So my question is, does anyone know how to choose a good wig with out being there physically to try on every kind? I think there should be a guide on what face shapes work well with what styles of wigs... I really don't want to keep buying wigs as shots in the dark as to what will look good on me. I have the old cd called "Cosmopoliton" (not spelled right) but it was supposed to let you do make up, hair, etc... but it's only the demo and it's not really a great program... I could do that easier with photoshop now.

Anyway, thanks for any responses in advance.. I'm leaving on a trip and won't be able to respond until like Monday. Sorry if this seems incomplete or a broken chain of thought, but I've been writing, packing, writing, packing... bai bai for now!

Julie
06-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Kimmy,

That's a tough one! My personal experience is limited but the first time I went to a place in Chicago with my wife (for support). I loved the wig but it was too small. It took me a long time to realize that because I loved the look so much. Just recently I ordered two online. One I am wearing in the avatar, the other I think needs some styling. The one in the avatar is made by Revlon and is excellent quality for a synthetic.

Of course the best way to go is human hair and have it custom fitted for you. One question, since you're looking into modeling is there any chance you can grow your hair out?

I was out with the girls one evening and was talking to a GG at a bar. We were discussing who looked real and she pointed out one CDer that to me couldn't pass. I asked her why and she said because her hair is real. That surprised me as I never even considered how obvious many wigs are.

https://home.comcast.net/~julimarie/Julie_sig.gif

Kimmy
06-07-2004, 06:49 PM
There's no chance my hair will do any good, it's thin and looks like crap when it's long, very btittle bangs so they don't get long enough to even be useable. I don't know what to do about it either, all the salons I've asked gave me a dumbfounded look as to what I should do to fix it. Maybe someone here knows? I'm not rich... so I can't do anything drastic.

Wigs have a shine to them normal hair doesn't... so it can be obvious in certain kinds of lighting conditions. I had a picture once I tried to use to pass and people were all over it telling me I was wearing a wig... that hurt

Cher
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Dear Kimmie:
It's been my experience that to get a realistic wig that fits right and is good for your head/face shape, you have to go to a wig shop...I went into one with a GG and the salesgirl eventually selected one that was perfect...its still my favorite...the sales people don't care one whit about your gender, they're only interested in the sale...they're determined to get one that'll make you happy, perhaps hoping you'll come back in for another (it worked on me)...also, human hair wigs are the most realistic...TTFN - R

Tamara C.
06-07-2004, 08:20 PM
I am new to the board, but have been dressing for several years, I have accumulated lots of clothing thru the yrs but have never owned a wig. I am planning to go tomorrow to find one but am a little nervous about it. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!

~Tammy~
06-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Well as far as nerves go, the best thing to remember is the people who sell wigs, sell them to about 3 different types of people. People with little or no hair, people who fancy a change, and you've guessed it ... crossdressers.

I recently went to a very friendly little shop, walked in, told the female assistant what I wanted and she was very kind and helpful. You have to think of it like a doctor. It might be new to us, but they've seen it all before.

If it wasnt for us they would loose alot of sales so they are there to help.
I've yet to buy a wig were they wasnt helpful and although I felt bit silly, I was soon at ease.

Tamara C.
06-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks Tammy, I have already gotten my nerve up and I will purchase one tomorrow!!