PDA

View Full Version : Oprah's Friday Show

Erica Lauren James
09-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that on friday's show (Sept. 28)

Oprah is having various guests sharing their stories on growing up transgendered.

Have a great day All!!

Kiera

Marcie Sexton
09-25-2007, 01:16 PM
I'll wait and watch before I judge her show, for the most part I detest her...

kassandra richard
09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Have to agree with you on that Marcie. That said, she had an earlier show on the same topic (two years ago I think) and it was fairly well done. It may have been part of the catalyst that brought my CDing on so strong. Nothing she did before or since has endeared her to me though.

Kassandra

crunchysoda
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Sounds interesting, I will definitely do my best to watch. There are some things that I dont agree w/her about, but overall I think she does far more good than harm.

Shes done other shows w/TG people as guests before that Ive seen.

Anyway thanks!!

Carin's Wife GG
09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
why do some of you not like Oprah?

Louise.

Dayna
09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I am rather indifferent to Oprah but my wife likes her...

If the show is going to be intelligent I would love to tell my wife to watch--O's opinion means a lot to her. On the other hand, a negative show might just reinforce some of the 'concerns' my wife has about my dressing...

MJ
09-25-2007, 02:51 PM
well i hope the show projects us in a good light ... we shall see

Sharon
09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
She had a great show on last week about the intersexed, so I am looking forward to another good program about transsexuals. I am certain she will present us in a good light, and have excellent TS representatives to tell their stories.

SherylynJade
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I personally don't care for Oprah, but I might check this episode out. Last time I watched a full episode was back when she had the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the show back in the late 80's

DianaGomez
09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
If the show is going to be intelligent I would love to tell my wife to watch--O's opinion means a lot to her. On the other hand, a negative show might just reinforce some of the 'concerns' my wife has about my dressing...
Then dont tell her yet. Watch the show and tape it. If any good, show it to her, if not, it never happened!

Michelle04240
09-25-2007, 04:34 PM
Thabks for the tip. I'll be sure to watch.

crunchysoda
09-25-2007, 05:04 PM
If anything I think she is pro-understanding. It's been awhile since I saw the TG show and my perspective would probably be different now that I know about my BF, but I think overall it was a fair representation.

I thought it was enlightening, I mean for some people this may be the only exposure they get. It's not like the Maury Povish show or even the Sally Jessie Rafael show (I use to watch this and Donahue!!!)

I personally like Oprah overall, so maybe Im biased, oh well.

Unfortunately, I remembered Ill be driving my son to drop him off w/my dad so Ill probably miss it. :(

Fab Karen
09-25-2007, 05:24 PM
why do some of you not like Oprah?

Louise.
Well there seem to be two Oprah's: The one that uses her fame & money to help others, and has good shows on for example transgendered people, and then there is the other Oprah, who for example does a show on "the best of everything" and she says things like,"you have to get this" ( ignoring that most of her viewers can't afford most of that stuff ). And she has a fan-base that reminds one of the Ellen Jamesians.* Oh yeah, and she helped Dr. Phil get famous & get his own show ( a whole other topic ).

*( see: "the World According to Garp" )

SusanMarie
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Oprah's influence seems to extend beyond the superficial value and real content of her programs.

Sharon
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Isn't this thread about Friday's program and not about Oprah herself?

Please keep replies relevant, or at least mention the topic a little bit, and if you need to rant one way or the other about Oprah herself, then feel free to do so in another thread in the Lounge.

janet1234
09-25-2007, 06:29 PM
is Oprah's show???

joann07
09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I remember a long time ago (about 10 or more years ago), she had a segment about a husband and wife and the husband was a crossdresser. I couldn't remember all the details of the show, since it was eons ago, but I remember it was the couple's anniversary. At the end of her show, they both left her studio in a limo wearing wedding dresses and going to their anniversary wedding.
I don't know if anyone remembers that particular show.

crunchysoda
09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
is Oprah's show???

"Check your local listings" :heehee:

You could probably check her web site too!

I am in Mountain time zone and it comes on at 4pm here.

My dad will be picking my boy up later on Friday so Ill get to watch it!!
woohoo!!

charlie-50
09-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Ill half to remember to set the dvr she is on at 4pm here...i work to 5...charlie....:D

Carol A
09-26-2007, 07:40 AM
I remember very well one of her shows last year where she had a post op on and the women really put Oprah down when she was ask way have your penis cut off. The women ask Oprah if she would like having a penis between her legs all day. I tell you I never laugh so hard in my life. I will watch again and see. :hugs:

Chrissy8888
09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I will be recording this show. I am not an Oprah fan by any means. However she has done some show about topics along this line. Last year about this time she did a show about late in life homosexuality. It was a very well presented show and was done from a open minded standpoint. The people are there were not bashed nor were they praised. The show just covered what their lives were like now and how they feel being in their positions.

jennifer easton
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh yeal, just saw the trailer for Oprahs friday show!!,got to see it!!

Darlene-VA
09-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Will have to tape it to check it out later that evening

Erica Lauren James
09-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Good Morning Ladies,
Just a reminder to set those pvr or tivo's for this afternoons show.

Kiera

AmandaM
09-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I'll watch it, but I prefer Tyra Banks.

MsJanessa
09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
The problem I have with Oprah is that she features groups of people with significant problems but often in a rather superficial way---sort of like an electronic freak show--for the sake of increasing ratings---it must work for her because she is very successful.

Dita_B
09-28-2007, 11:46 AM
YES! MsJanessa, I second that...

She knows how to commercialize her shows and presents topics that catch the interest... That is good for the ratings and good ratings are good for the advertising rates... There is a reason for the fact that she is a billionaire...

So her shows are there to catch your attention and seen the responses here and all those who are not posting here, she achieved her goal... again.

I will be one of the few NOT watching her shows as I see television as the ultimate mind control method. To line up so many people in the same mindset all creating reality, is a very dangerous thing in my opinion...

But that is a different topic all by itself...

Love to you all, :love:Dita.

jjjjohanne
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
I was thinking about the posts about this Oprah episode and I remembered watching an episode about 20 years ago when she had about 5 CDs on the show. That was when her show was more like the shock shows, but when they were much more tame than today. I remember one of the CDs stand up and say, "I wore dark for you today Oprah," and she pulled up her skirt to show her leg in dark hose. The next day in middle school, I remember the cute girl in front of me talking to another girl about the episode. I remember her saying, "they were pretty!"

janet1234
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
it, it was handled with some compassion, not confrontationally, for shock value, it was OK.