PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a old familiar place for the first time.

Mary Morgan
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm going through a strange time in my life, a time I am really enjoying and confused by. I recently became a Grandma, well a grandparent. My wife and I have found this occassion to be the basis for re-visiting some places we have not been to since my children were young. Last week we went to a Toys R Us store to shop for the new grand baby. I was suddenly aware of the wonderful toys, etc, that are available for little girls, and became somewhat melancholy over the fact that I had not had the chance to grow up as a girl, to experience all of these feelings, to be Cinderella for Halloween. I had absolutely no interest in seeing all the boy toys or in wishing they had these boy things when I was a youngster. It follows my experience when shopping for clothes these days. I can spend all day shopping with my wife for women's clothing and don't care to spend five minutes shopping for drab.

I suppose I should talk to my analyst about this but I don't have one. I like being like this. Maybe if Rod Serling were still around, he could explain it.

uknowhoo
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Congratulations grandma :hugs:

Veronica Fallon
09-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I know whatcha mean Louise, & it doesn't seem the least bit strange to me. I have a sort of unofficial step-daughter who's a teenager now & usually too busy for me. But while growing up she spent many weekends with me, which I tried to make very fun for her. I often took her shopping for cute, girly clothes, toys, & games. While shopping, dressing her up, & playing with her toys together, I experienced a sort of "vicarious flashback" of myself being in her shoes & enjoying the privilege of being a young girl. She thought I was just being a good father-figure & didn't know I had a lil' extra incentive, tee, hee. It was a precious time for both of us.

BTW, I saw Rod Serling last weekend at a drag show....
He was wearing the cuuuuutest lil' peach sequined dress with matching pumps..... :heehee:

Peace, Luv, & Barbie Dolls

Veronica

Ashley1
09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the "Grandma Club", Louise!:hugs:

:love:
Ashley

dancinginthedark
09-26-2007, 09:52 AM
This little girl now buys herself those things I yearned for but my parents didn't get. Nope I'm not a CD or TS, but there are lots of reasons for not having the ideal childhood, there's no reason not to have a bit of it now. Sure I get teased and the occasion a smart alec remark, but you know I don't care. And neither do my friends. :winking:

I read Veronica's post. She got the added bonus prize. Cool beans on you btw V and you too Louise on the new grandbaby.

dancin

The mind calculates and the spirit yearns but the heart wants what the heart wants. Mine wanted a teddy bear and tea set. The china one with little roses on it. :bs:

Daintre
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Congratulations Gramma, how wonderful it must be to be a grandparent. I find myself revisiting places and stores that I frequented when I had a small child, it amazes me how many memories can flood back.