PDA

View Full Version : Using the wrong term

Brenda's Friend
09-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I was with my family at the beach surfing. My wife an daughter were sharing a wet suit. So, they had to take it off quite often. I told them that I had friends (not me) who wore pantihose when they scuba dived. My wife and daughter both laughed at me.:haha::haha: They said no one calls them pantihose, they are either tights or nylons.

Katelyn
09-26-2007, 12:54 AM
That's funny. They probably just figured "typical Guy".

Patricia Danielle
09-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Don't knock it! If ya ever go diving in cold water ya most likley want to slide on the panty hose. I speak from experince thanks to the navy.. I did the frog man thing for a while..Patricia..

Ann D Bluebird
09-26-2007, 04:05 AM
:happy::cheer:

They said no one calls them pantihose, they are either tights or nylons.

I have been training my mind to call them pantihose just to fit in with the lingo in these parts (when in Rome and all that...) but over here they are sold as "tights" anyway! :tongueout So I'll start retraining my head back again then shall I?? :heehee:

Jude

Alice B
09-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Wore them for diving many times and long before I was a dresser or even thought about it. In the days before nylon 2 suits, wearing hose made life a great deal easier when getting dressed for a dive. I still do if I know that I will have to dress and undress several times.

insearchofme
09-26-2007, 05:15 AM
I too wear them when I dive. Try taking off a wet wet suit, it is so much easier with pantyhose on.

Sophster GG
09-26-2007, 06:14 AM
I just call them tights, but Deena my partner calls them pantyhose.. I thought that was an American term for them?:p

JeanneF
09-26-2007, 06:17 AM
Most of the GGs I know refer to them as nylons.

uknowhoo
09-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Mostly I hear them referred to as pantyhose, though I occasionally hear "nylons" as well. I think of tights as more what little girls wear (opaque). Perhaps it's a regional thing like soda vs. pop.

Wenda
09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Maybe pantyhose has beome archaic?? That is what ia call them. Besides male divers wearing them, some very macho hunters wear them for warmth.
I think of 'tights' as being less see-through, something gymnasts would wear?:straightface:

krisinpink
09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
In the case of tights, this has, IMHO, always referred to 1) little girls leggings, or 2) opaque adult leggings like those worn generally by dancers, and more recently, back in mainstream womens fashions.

'Nylons' and 'Pantyhose' I feel mean the same thing except that 'Pantyhose' can't be thigh-highs [my favorite] and that the term 'Pantyhose' is an older expression...no less accurate, it just seems that in the last 20 yrs the term 'nylons' has become more commonly used.

:2c:

Darlene-VA
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
All of the gg's I have known calls them nylons

Marcie Sexton
09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Still another one is my 19 year old son calling blush "rouge"...got that from his mawmaw...

Brianna Lovely
09-26-2007, 05:25 PM
A little help from Jane Mansfield, please?
Funny how things change, by common word usage, but here's my .02 anyway.

Stockings = nylons that require a garter-belt to keep them up.
Pantyhose = panty & hose combination made of nylon material.
Tights = heavy/opaque panty & hose combination, may be made of heavey nylon, often worn to keep warm.
Theigh Highs = stockings made of nylon, with an elastic band at the top, to keep them from falling down. (yeah, right)

SandyR
09-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Saved my legs from freezing several time when snow skiing, better then thermal underware, and so much nicer looking on my leggss.......LOL

SandyR

angelfire
09-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Mostly I hear them referred to as pantyhose, though I occasionally hear "nylons" as well. I think of tights as more what little girls wear (opaque). Perhaps it's a regional thing like soda vs. pop.

I always thought the same thing.

crunchysoda
09-26-2007, 06:57 PM

That's what Im thinkin'. I grew up in TX and my mother always called them "pantyhose."

I also think of "tights" as something for little girls or if youre in ballet class, or a woman who wears solid colored tights.

go figure. Then again I dont wear pantyhose, nylons, tights ect. :happy:

Jocelyn Quivers
09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I've always heard them reffered to as pantyhose or hose.

Brenda's Friend
09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
It must be a regional thing. Like in the US we wear panties and in the UK they wear knickers.

And yes, my wife said typical guy.

BF