PDA

View Full Version : Flying enfemme

MonikaW
09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone,

Sorry in advance for the long post. This past Saturday I did something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. I flew enfemme from San Diego to Washington, DC. I know there have been threads on this in the past, and a lot of folks would wonder what would happen if they did it. In short, nothing happens. I’ll tell you about my complete trip.

I was very nervous of course and debated whether I should do it or not. I was visiting San Diego and getting ready to go home. The night before I packed and laid out my outfit for the trip. In the morning, I quickly showered, dressed, and did my hair and makeup. I had been out the evening before, so my nails were already done. I should note that I am comfortable going out as a woman and generally pass without incident. Also, I earlier this year I began laser hair removal for my beard. As a result, my face is rather smooth now. It’s definitely an advantage because I don’t need to use a heavy beard cover and my makeup lasts much longer with fewer touch-ups. For the record, I wore an orange tiered skirt, white tank-top, green cardigan, and open toed wedge shoes.

After dressing, I loaded up the car and checked out of the hotel. I arrived at the airport and parked the rental car close to the terminal. Since I had a couple of suitcases, I wanted to first check them in before returning the rental car. Also, I figured if there would be any problems, I could still get back to the car and somehow change. I arrived at the ticket counter to check in, and handed the woman my male ID. She checked me in without batting an eye. So far so good. But now my bag and all my male stuff was checked in, so if I were to have a problem with security I would potentially be stuck.

I returned the rental car and took the shuttle back to the terminal. Everything was going smooth though the biggest challenge was still to come – TSA. Fortunately, there was a very short line for security which helped keep me calm. I went right up to the TSA gentleman and presented him with my boarding card and male ID. He did a quick double-take when he looked at the ID and then me. He looked at me for a couple of seconds, and then he just waved me through. No problems whatsoever. All he did was to check that I was in fact the person in the ID. While his expression showed that he was a little surprised by my appearance, he clearly didn’t care once he was satisfied that I was who I claimed to be. All he did was take a good look at the picture and me which is what they do whenever I fly.

Once I was inside the gate area, I had time to kill. I ate, went to the ladies room, and then boarded my flight to Phoenix (the first leg). No problems at all. In Phoenix, I trudged across the airport to make my connection. I stopped in the ladies room again to check on my appearance and touch up my makeup. I then boarded my flight home. By the way, I had a couple of heavy carry on bags as I was traveling for work. It was nice to have men help me with them – chivalry is not dead.

On the flight home, I chatted with the woman sitting next to me. I don’t think she ever read me. If she did, she certainly never betrayed her knowledge. Once in DC, her husband removed my bag from the overhead bin, and a gentleman again helped me remove my luggage from the carousel. I then hopped into a taxi and arrived home.

It was a long day, and but I had done it. It was a fabulous experience without any problems. It’s something I’ll definitely do again. So for you girls who may be worried, all I can say is be yourself and not to worry. Just go for it if that is what you want to do it.

Michelle (Oz)
09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Great to hear of your experience Monika. I've flown quite a number of times now and it remains a great experience and, pardon the pun, a great high. Unlike you I don't pass to an observant person but like you I have not had any difficulty although I have seen a number of people that I know which gets the pulse racing.

I'll bet it won't be long before you are taking off again.

Michelle (Oz)

Michaella
09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Thank you for telling us about this. I don't have any plans to fly en femme, but there's the possibility of using Amtrak, and these days photo id and security check in are necessary for that, so this gives me encouragement that it may be possible.

Alice B
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Very good story. Since I'm from San Diego and fly a lot I know what TSA is like here. I would never have the guts to do what you did, so I give you two thumbs up.:happy:

Deidra Cowen
09-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Thats totally kewl babe! Way to go. Don't think I could pull it off nor want to try flying enfemme...but I admire you chicks that do it. :thumbsup:

Veronica Fallon
09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
I sure admire your bravery Monika!!
I don't think I could ever muster that much courage- something about feeling "trapped" in a confined place while dressed. I'm still in the baby-step stage though with coming out, so maybe eventually... who knows?
I do know that "dedicated-dressers" like you, make it easier & safer for all the rest of us who may follow. Thank you & I'm glad you enjoyed your experience!! :D

747 Hugz for you, :bighug::bighug:(etc; etc; etc.)

Veronica

Shadeauxmarie
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I would be worried about presenting my drivers license to get my ticket. I mean, they don't HAVE to let you on the plane.

joann07
09-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Thats so cool. Thank you for sharing.
I'm flying to Chicago next week and I'm thinking about doing it for the first time.
We'll see.

Hugs!

uknowhoo
09-26-2007, 02:55 PM
You girls rock! Thanks so much for posting. While most of us aren't going to be following you into the TG friendly skies anytime soo, it's still very encouraging and empowering to read of such positive experiences. :thumbsup: Thanx for posting. xoxo

trannie T
09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
You rock girl! Wonder if TSA has a formal policy regarding crossdressed passengers.

joann07
09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
You rock girl! Wonder if TSA has a formal policy regarding crossdressed passengers.

I was wondering about that so I went to the TSA website and found this information:

"Quite simply, our policy statement assures travelers they will be treated in a fair, lawful and nondiscriminatory manner. It also emphasizes we have no tolerance for harassment in the treatment of the public we serve. Finally, it outlines out how we ensure an environment free of discrimination through program, policy, and operational reviews."

"Our Office of Civil Rights and Liberties ensures all employees and the public are treated in a fair and lawful manner without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, parental status or genetic information."

One thing I'm not sure about is whether "sexual orientation" covers crossdressers and transgendered people. However, I don't think they'll discriminate or treat anyone any differently regardless.

These are the links where I found them:

TSA Civil Rights (http://www.tsa.gov/research/civilrights/index.shtm)
Civil Rights and Liberties (http://www.tsa.gov/research/civilrights/civilrights_travelers.shtm)

Bridal Britney
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow, great story and very impressive. I wish I had the b___s to do that.

Patricia Danielle
09-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I don't fly anymore thanks to the military. It's not a natural act to jump out of a perfectly good air plane! Never seen the commercial airlines give ya a parachute. Might be kind of fun in a dress to try jumping out of a plane..Patricia,

faltenrock
09-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Very nice story Minika and very brave - you'll have my respect.

I haven't been on an airplane enfemme yet - don't know if I ever will though. But I do kind of feel what's it was like for you. Things I always wanted to do is a train ride. So far, I've done that about four times. Last time was in July, there is a threat about it in the pic gallery, sitting in the train. That was the longest train ride, about an hour one way. It sure feels different than just going by car. There is no security and private space, such like a car. You can't change your cloths - you're trapped enfemme. Everything went very well, there has never been a really bad incident.
Last year, I took a ride that I've been doing twice before. I was wearing a black pleated mini skirt, a grey jacket, black stockings and 3" high heels.

While leaving the train, there was group of older boys, about 16 - 18 years old. The've read me easily and said some words and made fun of me. One guy wanted to take my picture prior to leaving the train. I was just able to react and put my handbag in front of my face. I just didn't want to end up with my outfit in the internet. I don't think he got the pic.

It would be interesting, what some of you have been doing while enfemme.
I've been to the movies a few times, to restaurants, coffee shops, department stores and very many other stores for the last 12 years.

Sally24
09-27-2007, 05:03 AM
Thanks for all the info Monika! It sounds like a great trip. I think I would like to try it sometime but we'll have to see if I'm up for it. Thanks for blazing the trail for the rest of us!

Gisele
09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Bravo and well done girl!

JoAnnDallas
09-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I know one sister that was uncompy going thru TSA dressed, so she packed her outer wear and wig in the carry on. Then found a handicap bathroom and changed in it. After that flew the rest of the way dressed.

JennMW
09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
I’ve flown three round trips (all inside US) in the last year en femme. Used my legal (male) name and drivers license.

At each TSA checkpoint, I presented my ticket and id. No problems at all.

In fact on my way home the last time, the TSA agent told me that the color of my blouse looked great on me and thanked me for having “Organ Donor” marked on my license.

I was dressed to blend in with casual skirt, flats and blouse. I was wearing my forms and daytime makeup. I’m fortunate in that I wear my own shoulder length hair so my picture (no makeup) looks like me. I don’t know what difference a wig would make.

Carried my travel touchup makeup in the quart bag in my purse and wore minimum jewelry.

Even rented a car on one trip!

Jennifer

TxKimberly
09-27-2007, 12:58 PM
WAY COOL! I've fly a lot and have always wanted to do that but don't have the courage and can't afford to take the risk. Since I travel for my job, I can't take the chance of not being allowed to board the plane. Couldn't you see the look on my managers face when I try to explain why I missed my flight and wont be at the customers to do their repair? LOL

Congrats - that must have taken a HUGE amount of courage!
Kim

Kim_Bitzflick
09-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for all the great information. I have thought about flying en femme. I don't fly often, but I think it would be enjoyable. Maybe someday..........

stefcd1
09-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Wow! that is great, way to go.

I will have to spend a lot more time out in public as a woman before I could get the courage to fly as one. Would love to do that someday.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Stephenie S
09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I will be flying to NYC at the end of October. Since I am now 24/7, I will be flying "en femme". I will let you all know how it goes.

In general, I hate flying. I resent the intrusion into my private life that security makes nicessary, I hate the dependance on a machine to keep me UP in the air, and I hate the uncomfortable situation modern planes place us in. Thank goodness it's a short flight.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Suzy Harrison
09-29-2007, 06:36 AM
That's a wonderful story

I wish I was as brave as you. It must have felt so exciting and scary at the same time. Maybe one day I'll get there too - it'll be a while though.

I guess in many ways once you're on the flight you're okay - compared to a train where you don't know who's walking around. But the security at check in on flights can be intense, so to get around that takes some doing - not to mention guts!

You're number one in my book ! :happy:

Darla Claire
09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi Monika, what a great experience! Thanx for sharing. I wonder though what voice (F or M) you used as you went through all the hoops?

Darla

Lisa Renee
09-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I have always wanted to fly enfemme, but was always worried about getting thru security. Not to mention my forms might get me in trouble, as they are silicon gel and i'm pretty sure more than 3 oz. But at least know I know its possible to do. Thanks a lot for your post.

Girly Sara
09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Well done, hun! You're a brave girly! xxx

MonikaW
10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to your posts; I've been very busy with work. Thank you all for your kind words.

Hi Monika, what a great experience! Thanx for sharing. I wonder though what voice (F or M) you used as you went through all the hoops?

Darla
I used my best attempt at a femme voice. It's not great but I seem to do well with it. Usually it doesn't cause any problems.

I did have to fly for a quick business trip this week. Unfortunately, I was not able to dress for that. I kept thinking about my previous flight while on the plane. I can't hardly wait to travel as Monika again. It really is the only way to go. :D

highheelqueen
10-07-2007, 01:30 PM
in this day and age i won't if they catch on your really male it'll be a long day for sure plus you may get added to the no fly list

Ashleigh
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Since there is no way I could pass at 6'4" and 275, nor would I even try, the only flying I have done while in lace was in my own airplane. Kudos to those who can and have done so! Fortunate are you.
Ashleigh :doll: