PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale

jjjjohanne
09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Today, I went to a yard sale. It was put on by two ladies in their 50s. I gathered my nerve after looking at various items and visited the clothing rack. All of the clothes were women's. Most were size 14-16. My shoulders make me an 18, but my hips fit into 12 to 14. I found a lined black skirt I was interested in. It was 12 petite.

I asked the ladies what is the distinction between petite and misses in a skirt. One said, no one here is a petite! They went back and forth discussing and disagreeing on what petite meant. Lady A said it had to do with the length of the skirt. Now, I know that isn't right! They asked me if I lived far away (I later realized so I could take it home for "her" to try on.) In the middle of the discussion, lady A asked me who it was for. I put on a bashful look and pointed to myself. She asked again to be sure I understood her. They were surprised by my answer, but they didn't struggle with it beyond that.

Still not decided on how a petite skirt is different than a misses, Lady B suggested I should try it on. Then they pondered where they would have me try it on. They were looking around the garage. I said that wouldn't be necessary.

Finally, the other decided petite had to do with the room the skirt gave for hips and backside. We all concluded that the skirt would be too small for me. I replaced the skirt and shopped around some more.

I bought a few things and after paying, I left. That was it. At that I was inspired and drove around looking for other yard sales to shop. None of them had adult clothes. I finally returned home, skirtless. That was fun and inspirational!

Joe

paulaN
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Way to go. It's kinda fun outing yourself to people you don't know isn't it.

Robertacd
09-29-2007, 06:18 PM
I asked the ladies what is the distinction between petite and misses in a skirt. One said, no one here is a petite! They went back and forth discussing and disagreeing on what petite meant. Lady A said it had to do with the length of the skirt. Now, I know that isn't right!

I do believe it has something to do with the length. I think since most petites would be short waisted, then the a petite skirt would be shorter from the waist to the hips and maybe less of a difference in waist/hip ratio.

But aren't yard sales fun, I stopped by a huge one and all the clothes were 25 cents each. I loaded up a big sack. One item was a gorgeous lacy ruffly blouse, they pady taking th money commented on how lovely it was then said "But I don't think it's your color", I said well I think it is. ;p

trannie T
09-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Yard sales are fun, I've never found any clothes I like but I keep looking.

docrobbysherry
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't have the time or energy for garage sales, but I love Goodwill! I know the measurements of; my shoulders, waist, hips, and chest. I try to buy sexy, stretchy materials. So, even a small will fit. However, for many items, I'll pull out my 36" tape and find out quickly whether or not it might fit. Of course, by not trying it on, I still risk not liking the WAY it fits or looks. But at those prices, who cares?

Angie G
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Petite is small & dainty in the Dictionary I have :hugs:
Angie

erickka
09-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Petite is a shorter length. Caeck out Roaman's, Woman Within, etc.catalogs , which offer petites, and chech out skirt/inseam length in "women's" , "tall" , '" petite" Only a couple of inches, but it must make a difference in fit.

KatieZ
09-30-2007, 06:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

Petite has to do with the height of the person.

Miss Petite 5'2"–5'3" tall, average bust, shorter back
Junior Petite 5'1" tall, average bust, shorter back

Wendy me
09-30-2007, 06:50 AM
i am 5' 6" in Junior's Petite jeans i wear a size 9/10 ...just right .............

Joy Carter
09-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Petite is small & dainty in the Dictionary I have :hugs:
Angie

I'm married to a petite gal. This description is correct.

jjjjohanne
09-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I find it fascinating that people here are more interested in clarifying what "petite" is (and I thank you for the clarification) rather than marveling at how some woman was willing to allow a CD in drab try on, at her house, a skirt that her sister is trying to sell. I was really taken aback by that. I kinda wish I hadn't shot down the idea so quickly. However, I didn't want to make an awkward situation for them or me.

Joe

Robertacd
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I find it fascinating that people here are more interested in clarifying what "petite" is (and I thank you for the clarification) rather than marveling at how some woman was willing to allow a CD in drab try on, at her house,

My fault, after a decade on the internet I can hijack a thread without even trying.:p

JoAnnDallas
10-01-2007, 08:22 AM
My wife and I love Garage Sales. The last one we went to, I got a Palm Pilot IIIC with charging/Hot Sync stand for $25.00. The Palm IIIC was the first color Palm. It works great and now my son wants it, so I'm giving it to him, sense I already have a Palm Treo 680.
As for the difference between Petite and Misses. All of my dresses are Misses size, but my wife wears Petite in the same size and I can wear her Petite Skirts just fine. The differece is the length. If you look in most catalogs you will see that a Misses skirt length is usually around 27" from waist and a petite is usually around 25". So if you like your skirt a little shorter, get a Petite. My next skirt will be a Petite as I like the shorter length.