PDA

View Full Version : UK or USA ??

charllote34
10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi all

As a UK bassed cross dresser i am asking our sisters in the us and the uk ( or anywhere else ) where would you live as a cross dresser ? I ask this because from reading posts on here , the good people of america seem more tollerant of x dressers than they do here . For instance like when your out shopping etc... what do you think ?
UK or USA and why

Kieron Andrew
10-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi all

As a UK bassed cross dresser i am asking our sisters in the us and the uk ( or anywhere else ) where would you live as a cross dresser ? I ask this because from reading posts on here , the good people of america seem more tolerant of x dressers than they do here . For instance like when your out shopping etc... what do you think ?
UK or USA and why

as a UK boy i have to say i think UK is more tollerant, many states are tollerant in the US but many are not!

charllote34
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks Kieron as a Uk girl i think its harder because a girl buying boy clothes is no big deal , the other way round people do stare i do notice but dont care !!:happy:

Kieron Andrew
10-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks Kieron as a Uk girl i think its harder because a girl buying boy clothes is no big deal , the other way round people do stare i do notice but dont care !!:happy:

i dont think this is necessarily true, ive been shopping with MANY mtfs and have never got anyone stare or batt an eyelid, i guess it all depends how confident, and how you come across to the SA, if you are nervous and shifty they will pick up on vibes, if you are confident they wont even probably notice you are there, look at how many guys buy for their gf's or wives these days

MJ
10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
this is hard to say as i don't give a crap !!, what you see is what you get , that said every were i have gone in Canada i have been treated very well i don't see people's reaction if any , but i have never been to the USA as Marissa yet !!! so i can't say ... and i have not been home to pagham ,west Sussex UK .. as mj .. so i don't know how i would be treated

i think it's your attitude that counts for me i am a woman as long as i pass ** in my head ** then i pass in the real world , and i don't think i would have any trouble in most European country's

but there again mj may be in for a shock lol

nikki_t
10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I've lived in both countries for several years. It all depends on where you are. Some places in the UK are socially liberal and some aren't. Exact same in the US. Swings and roundabouts.

Nikki :-)

Emily Ann Brown
10-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I have never tried to dress in the UK so I have no comparison to answer from, but I would be me wherever I am. There are some places in US I would definitely be taking a big risk to be me. Have dressed in a few of them.

Emily Ann

jaina
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I've only spent a year in the UK, but I'd have to say the US and UK are about the same in regards to acceptance.

Sandra
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Well we've had no problems here in the UK either buying clothes or going out, you've just got to be confident.

charllote34
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I have never tried to dress in the UK so I have no comparison to answer from, but I would be me wherever I am. There are some places in US I would definitely be taking a big risk to be me. Have dressed in a few of them.

Emily Ann

Like you attitude Emily and think its like that here more or less

Carla4Guage
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
They have high school exchange student programs, maybe we could get the UN to sponsor a TV exchange program, then we could really find out. LOL
:D

Daintre
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't see how you can find out if one country is more liberal than another. You have to take into account if you live in a major urban center, or a small village, how the population of an area mesh together, education and so much more. In any country you will find people who are tolerant and those who are not.

janet1234
10-02-2007, 02:12 PM
if there is any crossdressing in Saudi Arabia.

eleventhdr
10-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I would go as far away as possible and still try to find one of those islands and stake a claim you know something like gilligans island and there i would stay and dress or undress as i do see fit to do oh well!

Suzy Ann!

Tamara Croft
10-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks Kieron as a Uk girl i think its harder because a girl buying boy clothes is no big deal , the other way round people do stare i do notice but dont care !!:happy:You know why people stare? They are having a look what kind of fashion you're into, I do it all the time, look at what other women/men are purchasing, doesn't mean I'm checking them out to see if they have bits under their skirts or binded chests.. I think you need to quit worrying, people really don't care what you're buying nor do they care who's out buying it...

charllote34
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks Tamara yes think you make a very decent point there , its interesting reading through the posts at how other girls( and guys) go on shopping around the globe .

Billijo49504
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I've never been to any other country as a CD'er, but from what I've read, Australia has the must understanding people. Maybe some one from there could disagree, but from the people I've met online from there, they have the attitude of so what....BJ

Darlene Dippy
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I had expected the responses to reflect a more accepting attitude in the states. On reflection I actually had no real reasons for thinking that, grass is always greener on the other side I guess!

Like so many things in life what seems to matter the is a positive, open and tolerant approach whether 'on stage' or 'in the audience'!

Darlene

Helena292
10-02-2007, 02:38 PM
As I'm a GG I can't offer a sensible answer to your question - all I will say is that I'm glad my SO is on the UK side of the pond because if he wasn't the chances of us being together are a hell of a lot of billion to one!

nikki_t
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I had expected the responses to reflect a more accepting attitude in the states. On reflection I actually had no real reasons for thinking that, grass is always greener on the other side I guess!

Like so many things in life what seems to matter the is a positive, open and tolerant approach whether 'on stage' or 'in the audience'!

Darlene

Yeah I found that Brits and Americans are very similar in attitudes. You get some who are liberal and you get some who are conservative. This differs depending on the location in each respective country. Big cities tend to be more liberal. Out in the sticks and it can get dangerous to CD.

Ann D Bluebird
10-02-2007, 02:59 PM
You know why people stare? They are having a look what kind of fashion you're into, I do it all the time, look at what other women/men are purchasing.... I think you need to quit worrying, people really don't care what you're buying nor do they care who's out buying it...

Here's a story to illustrate this perhaps?? Today I was shopping (externally in drab, its true, but underdressed and wearing a touch of black mascara..upper lashes only...) There were some reduced items at a ridiculously low price, and I had picked up two items downstairs, then headed upstairs to find some lingerie. Items purchased, with no-one batting so much as an eye-lid, I went down the escalator and was stopped by an older lady (GG!!) who wanted to know where I had picked one of the items I got on the ground floor! That was maybe ten minutes before!!! If she thought I was in anyway odd she showed no sign. :D

Jude

Lisa Golightly
10-02-2007, 03:34 PM
I like the UK embarassed 'stiff upper lip, I don't like to impose, please let me apologise' approach. I was in boy mode picking up a prescription for my mother and was referred to as Mr... but then to cover all bases they asked if it was Mr and not Mrs and proceeded to apologise for presuming that I was either a man or a woman. You have to smile at such things and to me they are a uniquely British thing.

Emily Ann Brown
10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought I was done, but like the comedian Ron White says..."I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability!" Get the tomatoes and rocks ready.....

I have travelled in the UK and enjoyed it's hospitality. . This is just my own personal opinion and doesn't reflect the views and opinions of Tamara and company. England's older generation as a rule is very "proper" and wants a "proper" society. If it takes looking the other way and pretending we don't exist to maintain decorum then they will do it. The United State's older generation (mine) on the other hand feels that they have a guaranteed right under the constitution to speak whatever is on their mind and show their ignorance on any subject (like I just did). Thank heavens our younger generation has a smaller stick up their bums.

Our citizens out in the boonies ( regardless of country) will never accept us, something to do with all the poking and prodding those little green aliens do on them for scientific purposes.

I am done now....commence the stoning !

Emily Ann

Fab Karen
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Our citizens out in the boonies ( regardless of country) will never accept us, something to do with all the poking and prodding those little green aliens do on them for scientific purposes.

I am done now....commence the stoning !

Emily Ann
They don't understand alternative sexuality so to get lucky out there they just dress up as aliens. "I done got probed by an alien again last night.":D

loki_uk
10-02-2007, 04:17 PM
if there is any crossdressing in Saudi Arabia.

Well there is in Londonistan, they just don't call them skirts so I presume it's the same over there ;)

Emily Ann Brown
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily Ann

jennifer41356
10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Hiroshima Japan, a beautiful city friendly people and a more understanding people, they respect once space..tokyo would be fun too, theyre are maybe 20-30 t-girl bars there,,,they are really fun to visit:D

jaina
10-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Hiroshima Japan, a beautiful city friendly people and a more understanding people, they respect once space..tokyo would be fun too, theyre are maybe 20-30 t-girl bars there,,,they are really fun to visit:D

Definatly.
I loved my few months in Japan and Tailand. The whole orient actually has a much more healthy attitude towards it.
UG, the day to day language barrier though :(

Rachel Morley
10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I've lived in both countries for several years. It all depends on where you are. Some places in the UK are socially liberal and some aren't. Exact same in the US. Swings and roundabouts.
As a person who has lived in the UK for most of my life but now lives in the US and has done so for the last 5 years, I have to agree with Nikki here. My answer is "it depends". From personal experience, I've found Midtown Sacramento, San Francisco, New York, and Las Vegas very accommodating - no problems at all for me when en femme in these cities (I heard Atlanta was good too but I've never been yet). However, en femme in some small town in the mid west?? Err ... maybe not so friendly. :strugglin:

I like the UK embarassed 'stiff upper lip, I don't like to impose, please let me apologise' approach. I was in boy mode picking up a prescription for my mother and was referred to as Mr... but then to cover all bases they asked if it was Mr and not Mrs and proceeded to apologise for presuming that I was either a man or a woman. You have to smile at such things and to me they are a uniquely British thing.
I agree Lisa! The UK is wonderful in this regard. British nervousness about saying something wrong and always wanting to be polite goes a long way.

charllote34
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks for everyones contribution . I think the outcome is basically its the same everywhere you go. And yes i live in what you would call the " sticks" so probably speaking with a little bit of negativity , i dont care what people say and think anymore , lifes too short!

Melisa Honey
10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
I would like to live in San Fransisco.

Wendy me
10-03-2007, 03:10 PM
the U.S.A. it's not only the dressing and shopping as you want for the most part ....it's abought the freedom .... and freedom in any form restricted or removed is not freedom.....

kay_jessica
10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks for everyones contribution . I think the outcome is basically its the same everywhere you go. And yes i live in what you would call the " sticks" so probably speaking with a little bit of negativity , i dont care what people say and think anymore , lifes too short!

I travel a lot through out the UK. OK, I've not ventured into the sticks of Lancashire, but I've been to the South West, rural mid Wales, North East, several places in Scotland (both rural and urban), and scores of places in the home counties and have not had a bad experience. The only places I feel most uncomfortable in is the military (army) towns like Salisbury, Aldershot, Catterick and Richmond (Yorskshire). I've had no problems in naval arreas like Portsmouth and Plymouth accept for persistent sailors trying to chat me up.

I did go to the US 4 or 5 years ago, but did not find an opportunity to be Kay.

Hugs

Kay

christid66
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Having lived both sides, I do have to say the US (sorry Char)....the clothes & shoes fit me better over here!
Plus, I'm getting braver as time goes on so am not so worried about buying female stuff any more

kay_jessica
10-07-2007, 05:01 PM
And we don't need to present photo id when we use our credit cards.

TriciaO
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
The way I look at it, the US is so big that you can find an area that accepts almost anything if you are willing to look around the country. I've never been to UK, so I really can't comment on attitudes there.

nikki_t
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
And we don't need to present photo id when we use our credit cards.

Don't always have to here in the US either. Depends on store or state policy or the locality.

Diana
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I live in the US in a major metropolitan area and have never been outside the US. I also have never gone out in public 'dressed' and I never will. My physic would never pass, I have way too much body hair, and I have a mustache, which I am not shaving. However, I do wear fem tees and jeans out in public and have never had any comments made to me. I go shopping for thongs (the only type of panties I wear 24/7), bras, and other fem items and have never had any comments made or questions asked. As has been mentioned, however, if I were in a more rural area, I think there would be some eye brows raised.

Diana