PDA

View Full Version : Should I let my roomates know I cd?

KateSpade83
10-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Should I let my roomates know I cd? It's very hard to go shopping in drag unless they're all out - then I can sneak out in full drag. Then when I come home I quick change into men's clothes in my minivan. Should I just rather let them know? What are your experiences with telling roomates? Maybe I should get my own apartment...

Shelly Preston
10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Tough question

If you can be sure you wont have a problem to any of your roommates then consider

But once you do remember cant un-tell them

ShannonGermany
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I've my own apartment and i'm really happy 2 have it cause i can do what i want when ever i want :happy:

triciaannmarie
10-02-2007, 04:45 PM
I would not tell them if i were you just yet?.. This time of the year is not good for finding places to live. Of course, it your decision.:2c:

KarenSusan
10-02-2007, 06:01 PM
How many roomates do you have? I would think it would be extraordinarily nerveracking juggling to keep your secret from more than one roomate.

Marcie Sexton
10-02-2007, 06:28 PM
You may want to feel them out...perhaps broach the subject in an off handed way, a couple good ways to do so is mention the Montel & Oprah
shows dealing with trangenders...

May be a good way to get their reactions to the subject...could allow you to expand your discussion...

That may tell you every thing you need to know...

RobertaFermina
10-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Every set of roomies is different.

If you have no "haters" in your group...I mean real "live and let live" types, *AND* they can keep a secret....Discreet Fellows?....then telling could be a good idea.

As for your own apartment....if you can afford it, what's keeping you?

Perhaps you don't value the idea of having your own CD room with Wig Stands, Dressing Mannequins, Fab Femme-Themed Posters, and lots of Feminine touches....

If I wasn't raising a daughter and granddaughter, I'd be on my own in a heartbeat!

:hugs:

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Jamie001
10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
It is best to tell them and even better yet to come-out to everyone so that you don't have anything to hide. It is such a liberating experience and you will feel like a weight has been lifted-off you shoulders. It is so good to come-out.

Billijo49504
10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I'd say get your own place. Then you can do as you want, with in reason. Then you'll be asking us, should I tell the neighbors or should I just let them wonder?????:rolleyes:....BJ

KateSpade83
10-02-2007, 07:58 PM
My last 6 month contract job ended, and now I start a new job for $4 more per hour than the last job. But I don't know how good I detail parts to strict CAD standards. I'll be modeling and detailing parts for the space station and space shuttle for a company that got the contract job from NASA. Very strict to code standards because NASA is so demanding. It's an open ended contract so I don't know how long I'll be employed. So mostly it takes time to search for another apartment and I really got to be confident in myself to commit to 6 month leases. I prefer month to month leases with a washer dryer included, and sometimes I have to settle for a shared apartment found through craigslist.

Ok, I'm rich enough making $32.15 per hour with $467 of that per week as per diem (tax free). If I get 5 hr overtime per week - big bucks!

My last nightmare roomate actually caught me in drag and talked to my landlord about it. He said "I grew tits..." but he had no problem with it. But he was a theif.

Doesn't Emily Ann Brown have roomates that know?

docrobbysherry
10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Kate, only U know how important dressing is to u. U might just have to dress when u can. If u get caught, you'll have to decide then, what to tell your roommates. Also , then you'll find out if u can stay, or must find a new place.

KateSpade83
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
So roomates can turn out to be a nightmare if they find out? Has this happened to anyone?

Marissa Mae
10-02-2007, 08:48 PM
I have 3 roomates. I told one of them for the first time just a few days ago, and so far its good, though not much has been discussed since. She is very open minded, allows me to talk about it to her (unlike my SO, who is still constrained by society's views), and even asked me if I wanted to go out walking with her some time! :love:

I think I got lucky with her; one of my other roomates is very close minded, even though he has a fetish all his own (foot thing). He does not know about my dressing, and never will, as he is a racist, bigot, and generally untrustworthy. I thought I might tell him at one point, but the way he treats other people who are different than him (ie. gay, black, hispanic etc), he is so critical.

My last roomate, I do not trust her, even though I think she is a great person. She would blab to everyone, so I cannot risk telling her.

You need to do some recon here and discover who is

A) Trustworthy
B) Openminded
C) How much impact telling their friends could make

If she tells someone that has no effect or bearing on your life, such as she tells her grandma in another state.. wouldn't do you any harm, so go right ahead. But if she leaks to a friend of a friend, that might catch up to you. Be careful!!

Fab Karen
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM
How many roommates do you have, what gender, what are they like as people-
Callie had some good tips. I was very lucky myself in knowing the person before I moved in, and learning she would be cool with it. If you can be open it is so much easier to not have to hide things.

KateSpade83
10-02-2007, 10:31 PM
My 2 roomates are male and it seems new female roomates never move in. I would be comfortable telling a female roomate but I think the male ones can be a problem. I'd rather room with females too if I can find a situation like that. But I think they fear panty raids from a crossdresser... Or I fear they might snag my nice stuff too!

KandisTX
10-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Kate,

It truly depends on the vibes you are getting off of them. Just blurting out "I CD" may not be the answer, and then there is the off-chance it could backfire on you entirely.

Before I moved into the apartment with my (now) wife and her ex and their roommate, I had to come clean with all of them (Wife knew and so did their room mate [he was gay and helped me contact the local group via email], but her ex did not), when I did, there was a couple (man and woman) in the group that very quickly disassociated themselves from the group. No great loss there since she was psycho and he was whipped.

Just saying that you have to be very careful whom you come out to in your circle of friends, then again it is a very effective way to find out who your true friends really are.

Kandis:love:

P.S. Are you in Houston TX??? I am :)

KateSpade83
10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
My last job and my new job are in Houston, TX. But if I'm unemployed long I go back to living in Chicago with my mom. Price of gas in Houston when I left last week $2.49. Chicago inner city cheapest $3.19 ! But Chicago has the greatest thrift stores compared to Houston. But Houston has better food shopping and fast food!

BarbaraTalbot
10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Then when I come home I quick change into men's clothes in my minivan.

If you drive a minivan, don;t they already suspect something..~grin~ (drives wife's minvan with "soccer mom" magnetic sign on the back all the time, just not en femme")

tommi
10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Should I let my roomates know I cd? It's very hard to go shopping in drag unless they're all out - then I can sneak out in full drag. Then when I come home I quick change into men's clothes in my minivan. Should I just rather let them know? What are your experiences with telling roomates? Maybe I should get my own apartment...

If you can afford it get your own apartment allows alot more privacy, alot less hassle.
If you come out to your roommates and their not accepting you'll wish you had lived on your own already.:2c: