PDA

View Full Version : Drag Queens

Michelle S
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi! This is related to an issue being discussed on two other threads:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68434
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68412

I go to some gay oriented night clubs were they have drag shows. Now, I am not the most out going person, so I don't strike conversations all that easily. Still it seems to me that the drag queens are little standoffish. I get a nod or a perfunctory smile. I have gotten to know a couple of the drag kings however. What has been other people's experience? Are there any drag queens or kings on this forum?

Kate Simmons
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi Michelle, I have several friends who are DQ's. I originally went to the local LGBT resort to learn how to be one myself but decided it wasn't for me. I think in a lot of cases, it's just that they don't know a person that well maybe. For the most part, many of them are doing a show and performing as a character they have created and that's pretty much what is for them, as with us, this is kind of who we are in a way. A lot of my friends (but not all) just can't wait to get the "suit" off after the show but some will hang around and visit for the remainder of the night in drag sometimes. I think it's just a matter of getting to know people for the most part. When I first started going to the club, it was kind of the same thing but now we are cool because we know one another.:happy:

MarinaTwelve200
10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Ive never understood what the gay attraction to drag queens is all about. I Mean GAYS are susposed to be attracted to MEN and manish things. It seems that presenting one's self as a woman, albiet a womanly "satire", would be "fishing with the wrong bait " so to speaK. Role models? Transsexuals may want to be women(and they are "technically" gay, sort of), but my understanding of the homosexual , a person attracted to the same sex , it just dont make sense.---One of the mysteries of the world I guess, or is there another definition of "gay" I am unaware of?

sterling12
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, they can be standoffish. However, I got to thinking about it, and tried to put myself in their shoes.

They are probably approached by many very strange people. Some are no doubt antagonistic, and some want to use them for selfish purposes. I can imagine that they would be just a bit defensive.

The DQs spend a good chunk of there lives out there on The Street. To survive, you learn to be defensive and "street smart." CDs are an unknown quantity to them, they don't know if we are Sister's or not? If you want to get a little perspective, try Robert Rodi's "Drag Queen."

Best bet is to go up introduce yourself, compliment them on their performance or looks, then back off. The second time you speak, it should get easier.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Marla S
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
One of the mysteries of the world I guess, or is there another definition of "gay" I am unaware of?
What about the most basic one ?
Attracted to the same sex. Sex doesn't equal gender or a part time gender expression.
We all know that being a male doesn't necessarily mean being manly.

@drag queens. Never meat one personally (at least no talking). From what I see I consider the drag queen style rather an art form.

jaina
10-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Ive never understood what the gay attraction to drag queens is all about. I Mean GAYS are susposed to be attracted to MEN and manish things. It seems that presenting one's self as a woman, albiet a womanly "satire", would be "fishing with the wrong bait " so to speaK. Role models? Transsexuals may want to be women(and they are "technically" gay, sort of), but my understanding of the homosexual , a person attracted to the same sex , it just dont make sense.---One of the mysteries of the world I guess, or is there another definition of "gay" I am unaware of?

There may not ba a different definition of gay, but yours is very narrow. Not all gay men want MEN and MANLY. Gays are people with varied tastes and personalities. Don't pigeon hole them into a stereotypical role, they are PEOPLE just like everyone else.

angelfire
10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
In my city, I think Drag Queens being standoffish is their defense. There are no "drag bars" in Ottawa, but only a few clubs that have drag night once a week, or sometimes less frequently. Seeing a crossdresser or another drag queen in their bar could mean they have competition, so they may not be so friendly with the person who may want their job.

Now, I have a gay friend, and a straight GG friend. The GG goes to a gay club all the time, and my gay friend says "Ew, why that club?" and she says "Cause its fun. Why don't you go there?" and he replies, "Because I'm gay. I like men. Too many drag queens at that bar, and I'm not attracted to them." Makes sense in my mind.

docrobbysherry
10-08-2007, 08:08 PM
There may not ba a different definition of gay, but yours is very narrow. Not all gay men want MEN and MANLY. Gays are people with varied tastes and personalities. Don't pigeon hole them into a stereotypical role, they are PEOPLE just like everyone else.

How many sexes r there anyway? If u leave out animals and chidren, (please!), that leaves; gay, straight, and Bi rite? Anyone I've left out? SPEAK UP! I'm getting confused!

angelfire
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
If you mean sexual orientation, then there is also pansexual. Then there are the fetishes, which can be pretty much anything.

Samantha B L
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Once in awhile on the "variety" TV shows which were big in the 50's and the 60's there would be "female impersonators" or to be blunt,drag queens featured. They ranged from gorgeous to kind of clownish in their overall presentation. When I was very young I knew that I had a sort of affinity for feminine things and of course,female clothing and that this was sexual,narcistic and relaxing to me altogether. When I was only like 7 or 8 years old I could figure out from seeing those drag queens on TV that I definately wasn't the only one that was inclined to that sort of thing and that there surely had to be some sort of TG/TS/CD subculture out there (even in those days) in some of the bigger cities and that I wasn't alone.