PDA

View Full Version : Just Looking

Brianna Lovely
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I've just been looking at a number of threads discussing various things like presentation and acceptance.

This brought up an interesting thought. Although I'm out every day in fem clothing, I'm not always presenting as a woman. And even though I'm out in the daytime, doing normal things, I very seldom get a comment from the general public.

I also go to a number of Gay venues, not because I'm Gay, but because I feel more at ease with GLBT people, perhaps I think they're more accepting of my being a TG person. That being said, and adding,
that I've been with "small" groups of thirty people to large groups of several hundred, I've analyzed my own observations, and here they are.

Now, I'm only using Gay Men as an example, but feel this could apply to any group of people.

If I walk into a room, in my semi-fem mode (skirt, fem top, light jewelry, nails done, lipstick and carrying a purse), out of ten men, the general reaction is this.

Four out of ten, look at me, but seem to pay no attention and carry on with what they were doing.
Two out of ten, look at me and seem to show disapproval. (I feel negative vibes from them).
Two smile and maybe wave.
One will actually say something like "Love your nails".
And one will say "Hello, Honey" or "Hello, Sweetie", with a genuine smile and a feeling of warmth.

So, I wonder, is my perception of "Gay" people's reactions, really any different then any CD's perception of "social acceptance" from the general public?

sterling12
10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I think you have the numbers about right Bri. Of course, we tend to end up in a lot of the same places and it may be different in other parts of The Country.

Over in Orlando, we go into a lot of "straight bars." (I kind of hate that term, people should just be able to go to bars and learn to get along without this from of segregation.) Anyway, yes the great majority will look up, note your presence and ignore you, A couple of guys will have that macho, "pissed-off look," like your a threat to their manhood. And, a couple will openly say "Hi," and often come up and talk or hit on you. By and large females seem much more guiless, and will often be blatantly curious.

Of course, none of these folks will believe us, until they try it! Maybe that's the point.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Brianna Lovely
10-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Of course, none of these folks will believe us, until they try it! Maybe that's the point.

If anyone asks, I make it a point, to inform them that I'm a TG person. I tell them that I'm fully aware and accepting of both my feminine and masculine traits. And, yes, I have my nails done and wear a skirt, because I like to.

Marla S
10-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Can't say much about gay people's reactions, 'cause I don't go intentionally to gay venues, but I think it's different because there is a different background.

I guess being TG is one of the thoughts homosexuals have in the beginning when they discover their homosexuality, much like a lot of us have thought whether homosexuality is involved. Hence this thought is not as strange as for the general public.

Another aspect is that gays tend to be more open to show their feminine side (i.e. drag queens, effeminate behavior, etc.), if they have one. Maybe because they are a bit outside the norms anyway.

Over all I think gays are a bit more open towards a feminine style on the one side, but others are perhaps a bit more shortspoken because they don't want to be confused with trans folks.

Brianna Lovely
10-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Another aspect is that gays tend to be more open to show their feminine side (i.e. drag queens, effeminate behavior, etc.), if they have one. Maybe because they are a bit outside the norms anyway.

Over all I think gays are a bit more open towards a feminine style on the one side, but others are perhaps a bit more shortspoken because they don't want to be confused with trans folks.

I found your comments interesting.
Although I used the phrase "Gay venue", most of my encounters are in public, non-Gay, places like restruants and meetings.

I have posted in another thread, about a man I've known for four years, who came up to me (I was enfemme), complimented me on my appearence, then whispered "I always thought you were Gay. I didn't know you were one of those people!"

From the Gay men I've met, I'd say that they've fallen victim of the "straight stereo-type" image of what a man "should be". Hmm, out of the two or three hundred Gay men I see on a regular basis, none of them show any "fem side", ever.