PDA

View Full Version : How many men are crossdressers?

sarahpectoris
10-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Any thoughts on this? I have found various estimates- often in the range of 1-10% of the male population. I guess as so many men are in the closet no one can know for sure.

Does it vary by nationality? British men (particularly the English as opposed to the Scots & Irish) seem to have a reputation as crossdressers (kilt-wearing does not count in my opinion- unless it is a woman's kilt). CD'ing is clearly popular in British culture: witness pantomime, Shakespeare, popular sitcoms etc.

I don't know the source, but I recall a famous woman recounting advice that her mother had given her before she married that went something like "there are two types of (English-) men: those who like wearing dresses and those who don't".

A friend (non-CD as far as I know) held a party with a school disco theme. We all had to dress up as school kids (for non-Brits reading this is quite popular theme for parties in Britain). Of twenty men, two came dressed as girls. Were they closet CDs? If so that makes at least 3/20 CDs (including myself although I was not dressed) in that particular group.

Final thought- if such a high % of the male population are CD where are they? Are they all dressing behind closed doors or are they all superb at passing when in femme? I have rarely, if ever seen a CD in public, and I cannot recall ever being aware of (another) nervous single male in drab checking out the women's clothes section in the stores.

Marla S
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I guess it's closer to 1 % than to 10 %.
This depends a lot on the definition of CD though.

If you include all those that have worn fem items some time in their life or dreamed about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it is over 50 %.

CDs like here in the forum ?

1 % or less would be my guess.

Those that wear undies only or dress for pure sexual (fetish) reasons regularly, maybe up to 5 %.

Remembering my closet times, you would have found me rarely buying clothes. Only had a few and they lasted long.
Most closeted CDs shop online or via catalogs anyway, I guess.

EDIT: Seeing other CDs ? Seldom. Interestingly more FTMs (butch lesbian ? ...hard to tell). On the average every week I see someone who could be FTM. Just yesterday two set next to my table in the street cafe. MTF maybe one in six months in the area I live.

carrilee
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
must be a lot. at work i hear men talk about panties and thing all the time . being a crossdresser i can tell the difference between the 2 . think about it.

MarinaTwelve200
10-10-2007, 07:23 PM
The rate of anomalies in susposedly exclusive natural systems usually is one standard deveation--or 3 I/2 percent.

From various sources, over the years I have learned that All the locks in the world are for 3 1/2 % of the people (criminally inclined), Homosexuals (despite masters and Johnson) seem to number 3 1/2 % of the population. the number of people with AIDS (I know , bad example) who are NOTgay or DO NOTuse drugs is 3 1/2% ----I have many other examples, but cant recall them at the moment.

Based on this, we can expect at LEAST 3 1/2 % of the male population may be CD---BUT I think it may be much Higher, if only based on my experience as a kid on Halloween. In the early 60'S nearly ALL my friends dressed as girls for halloween trick or treating (11-16 years old) and certianly 50- to 60 % of the guys in school---it was quite popular then. Many may STILL be CDing--although perhaps being driven into secrecy in later years with "gay" and "Queer" ridicule that cropped up in later years---something we didnt talk about back then.

If I had to guess, I would think that at least 20% of males CD or have CD fantasies (or closeted) today. 20% vs 80% is ALSO a very common "natural" ratio that shows up BTW.

trannie T
10-10-2007, 07:28 PM
I tried to take a survey of my neighbors, "Hi, are you a crossdresser?" I had four doors slammed in my face,and two guns pulled on me before I gave up. I doubt that there is a large percentage of us, maybe one percent.
Maybe we could do a survey here, how many visiting this site are crossdressers?

Jonnie B
10-10-2007, 07:28 PM
As you say, impossible to tell. I'm sure many many CDs are 'behind closed doors' types, myself included.

You mention the popularity of "school girl disco theme parties" in UK. From the posts on this website, Halloween seems to be the popular time for CDs in USA to be visible 'en femme' without actually 'coming out' so to speak.

Jonnie B - Ex POM

MJ
10-10-2007, 07:45 PM
"there are two types of (English-) men: those who like wearing dresses and those who don't".

hey i resemble that remark ...he he he

wannabie
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
How many men are crossdressers?

8% to 10% of the earth's population.

a better question would be How many men out there admit to being crossdressers?

docrobbysherry
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Marla S;1037397]I guess it's closer to 1 % than to 10 %.

If you include all those that have worn fem items some time in their life or dreamed about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it is over 50 %.

I think u have some excellent points, Marla. I tried on some women's clothes many years ago. Just to see what they felt like. Forgot about it entirely. It was maybe 7 years later, after being separated from my wife, before I really dressed up. Then, I wanted see what I looked like.

Except for my Goodwill ventures, I buy almost everything mail order, or on line.
myspace.com/robertsherry
RS

SandyR
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM
If its 1% and if you look at only the US male poplulation 18 or over....thats around 90,0000,000 so that 900,000 cross dressers just here, my guess is its higher. Thats alot dresses.........

SandyR

trannie T
10-10-2007, 08:31 PM
If its 1% and if you look at only the US male poplulation 18 or over....thats around 90,000,000 so that 90,000 cross dressers just here, my guess is its higher. Thats alot dresses.........

SandyR
Sandy, it is nice to see someone more math challenged than I am. 1% of 90,000,000 is 900,000. And that's a whole wad of panties!

Lori SC
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I guess it's closer to 1 % than to 10 %.

CDs like here in the forum ?

1 % or less would be my guess.

Those that wear undies only or dress for pure sexual (fetish) reasons regularly, maybe up to 5 %.

Remembering my closet times, you would have found me rarely buying clothes. Only had a few and they lasted long.

EDIT: Seeing other CDs ? Seldom. Interestingly more FTMs (butch lesbian ? ...hard to tell). On the average every week I see someone who could be FTM. Just yesterday two set next to my table in the street cafe. MTF maybe one in six months in the area I live.

From what I've seen, read, etc., etc. I agree with your 1% number Marla. Assuming you mean people who CD several times a year - and put on more than a bra and panties.

If you want to see CDs, just spend a lot of time in the womens clothes sections, and jewelry sections of stores. They eventually show up there (usually enhomme). I've spotted a few this way.

Hugs, Lori

SandyR
10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks Trannie T, I corrected the math. Must be the Micro Soft excel formula.......

SandyR

Billijo49504
10-10-2007, 09:03 PM
me>>>bj

annekathleen
10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
When I was about 13, I probably tried on my sisters lace panties.
When I was about 16 or 17, I probably tried on my girlfriends panties,
her sisters panties, and probably my buddys sisters panties.
When I was about 18-19 I bought panties for my girlfriend, but we broke up
before I had a chance to give them all to her for Christmas.
So I know I tried them on, and started actually wearing them on occaision.
When I was about 19-20, I went away to college, and when I met my college girlfriend, I gave her all the panties that I had been saving.
Living in a dorm, the laundry room always had a steady supply of panties, and I did get to check out alot of sexy stuff.
When I got married, I enjoyed buying panties for my wife, but didn't really get into trying them on. I may have gone into a "dormant" stage of my crossdressing. After we split up, I guess I started wearing them again.
With all the girls that I was dating, I managed to put together a collection that I could wear. Each pair reminding me of that particular woman.
Although I still date, I haven't "borrowed" anyone elses panties.
I prefer buying my own and wearing them.
Although I am admittedly a "panty wearer" I really didn't think I was a crossdresser. But since my last break up with my wife, I guess I had started wearing more and more articles of womens clothing.
First bras, then stockings, then high heels, then more and more.
So I guess, I have become a crossdresser.

nikki_t
10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
It's really anyone's guess but I suspect it may be higher than we think if you include things such as guys wearing their wife's panties once in a while, etc. The % of us that fully dress (complete with make up, etc.) is probably quite small though.

Billijo49504
10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
There are many more than just us few here!!!!BJ

jenniferj
10-10-2007, 10:44 PM
There are several contradictory analyses to consider:

1. Crossdressing seems to be a very common topic/joke. I would guess that I hear a crossdressing related joke or aside at least once a week. As I've written elsewhere, the topic comes up frequently on my co-ed softball team when we are short females for a game. There have been movies about it and even a TV (pun intended) sitcom. This implies that the subject is on a lot of people's minds. You don't hear many jokes about the less popular hobbies, such a stamp collecting but everyone knows at least three golf jokes.

On the other hand...

2. Where are we? Again I've written briefly about scanning large groups of people and trying unsuccessfully to identify the men who are likely to crossdress. Does this mean that they don't? Probably not, since I can't imagine anybody looking at me in guymode and suspecting my deep secret - at least nobody has ever indicated to me that I might have one...

Certainly anybody noticing me dressed would catch on pretty quickly, but the amount of time I appear in public dressed is very,very small compared to the time I'm in guy mode. So if we say that the average CD is dressed 1% of the time she's in public (I know that there are lots of you girls who do it much more frequently, but there are also many,many more who don't go out at all) and 5% of the male population does it, 1 woman in 2000 that you see at any point of time would actually be one of us. There might be 7 or 8 CDs at a RedSox game - I doubt that you would pick them out of the crowd.

and on yet one more hand...

3. There have been a number of studies/polls that suggest that 1-10% of the male population crossdresses. This is probably a substantial under-reporting. Which is more likely: a crossdresser who denies his compulsion when asked by a stranger or a non-CD who falsely claims to be one? A great many of us have had difficulties telling our wives, girlfriends, parents, siblings, children, close friends - what fraction of us would tell a complete stranger?

I think that all we know for sure is that we have a few kindred souls here who are willing to share with each other and support each other. I know it's made a tremendous difference for me in the past few months - thank you everybody!

-jj

docrobbysherry
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM
There are several contradictory analyses to consider:

A great many of us have had difficulties telling our wives, girlfriends, parents, siblings, children, close friends - what fraction of us would tell a complete stranger?

I think that all we know for sure is that we have a few kindred souls here who are willing to share with each other and support each other. I know it's made a tremendous difference for me in the past few months - thank you everybody!

-jj

Jennifer, I think this site is testimony to the fact that, it IS easier to tell a stranger than our friends and family.
As for youir last comment: I couldn't agree more. I am SO thankful for this site and for all of u! I feel like I could tell you ANYTHING! Kisses and hugs!
RS

KatrinaAshley
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
When you stop to consider what lengths many go through to hide what they do, it's no wonder you don't see them.

vivianann
10-11-2007, 12:06 AM
I think the percentage of men who wear femme clothes from underware to full on femme look is higher than 10%, most of the men have never ventured out of the closet, and as time goes on and it is more acceptable, more of them will appear in public, but many more will not come out.
15 years ago I would have never gone out of the door like I do now, now I am addicted to the freedom to dress in public, and the many compliments I get from peaple when I am out.

SweetCaroline
10-11-2007, 12:32 AM
My answer...a lot more than who are willing to admit. Do you mean technically or repeatedly, or did it once and never did it again?

To me a true cross dresser is a man who dressed up once, weather he was five or forty-five, and liked it enough that he did it again, BY HIS OWN CHOICE.

I don't consider people who dressed up once for Halloween, had fun, and never did it again, cross-dressers.

Tho they could be. You never know. Nearly 100% of men have worn some some of woman's garment at some point in their lifes. For some reason or another. It doesn't make them a crossdresser.

noname
10-11-2007, 02:01 AM
10% no way. If I had to guess I'd say 2-3% But that is just my guess. I'm basing this partly on how many manly women I see. I'm talking the women that wear mens clothing and hair. This is probably a good estimate as women are pretty free to be as manly as they want. I'm not saying they are accepted by everyone, but for the most part can live a hassle free life.

Deanna2
10-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Final thought- if such a high % of the male population are CD where are they? Are they all dressing behind closed doors or are they all superb at passing when in femme? I have rarely, if ever seen a CD in public, and I cannot recall ever being aware of (another) nervous single male in drab checking out the women's clothes section in the stores.

Our culture is brutal on what is seen as non-conforming.

Satrana
10-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Homosexuality is usually measured at 2-3% of the population and I feel confident that there are many more CDs than there are gays so I am guessing 5%, and if you include sexual fetish CDs then double that to 10%.

But if you are measuring how many CDs are out of the closet to at least one person then probably 0.5%. Most CDs spend their lives denying their feelings so are completely invisible. They will not even visit sites like this because they do not want to admit they might be......gasp.....a crossdresser.

stephanie100
10-11-2007, 06:40 AM
probably more than most think maybe as high as 3-5% I think a lot of CDs dont know of this site nor mix with other CDs and hide as much as possible when I was young and started CDing I went deep into a forest to dress pity now the forest is a concreat jungle but that is another story:hugs:

Rachaelb64
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
The closet is big and the guilt can run deep. I think the CD % is high may be 10-20%, we can be a very embrassed, guilty non-vocal group. :2c:

Mind you it would be interesting to see what the difference is between the CD % of western culture to eastern culture :happy:

charllote34
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I think we need to stand away a bit and look back at ourselves slightly . I would hope everyone on here regardless of gender or what have you is a cross dresser and if your not your still welcome . To me how many of us have hobbies that are associated within our cross dressing ? or how many of us cross dress for A hobby?
There are aspects of my life that cross dreesing will never be a part of for practical and personal reasons , but what IS important under the clothes on my back im still the SAME person . what makes me the person i am now will be the same in i hope another 50 years

MJ
10-11-2007, 02:26 PM
i have heard about 3 to 5 % are cd'r the problem is getting them to admit that they are

Julie York
10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Following Tranni T's excellent example of 'hands on' surveys, I interviewed my neighbours and asked them if they ever wear women's clothing.

These are the results.

25% of my neighbours are women and probably wear women's clothing but the interveiweee was hostile about being woken up at 3 am. so results are not definitive.
25% Want to kill me, are possibly psychotic with violent tendencies and their house smells of burnt oregano.
25% Don't speak English.
25% Think I am insane and to **** off!

Survey trial = 4 people.

Result: There are no crossdressers in the U.K.

Wendy me
10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
1.15) How many transgenderists are out there?
There are no actual statistics on the numbers of transvestites, transsexuals, or intersexuals in the world at large. Due to the nature of transgenderism, a accurate count cannot be made. The estimated ratio of MTF transsexuals to genetic males is between 1:2000 and 1:80,000. The estimated ratio of FTM transsexuals to genetic females is between 1:2000 and 1:125,000.

Researchers estimate that the percentage of men who have crossdressed is quite high, perhaps as high as 50 percent. Female crossdressers are comparatively uncommon (crossdressing meaning someone who dresses in male clothes and attempts to look male.)

There are numerous other unverified statistics floating around in the world, such as:

less than 1% of all people saying they are transsexual ever have SRS
7-12,000 sex changes have been performed in the US, half of them MTF
there are 4 times as many MTF transsexuals in Europe as there are in America
90 percent of all transvestites and transsexuals live in large cities

Marla S
10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Researchers estimate that the percentage of men who have crossdressed is quite high, perhaps as high as 50 percent. Female crossdressers are comparatively uncommon (crossdressing meaning someone who dresses in male clothes and attempts to look male.)

Is there a deeper meaning behind this phrases or did the researchers just string together a few words ?
But probably it's me. What does that mean ?

What about those females that look male (don't know where they bought their clothes) . I see about one per week and have a neighbor that would fall into this category.

What about my male schoolmates that wore stockings an such to parties but didn't have any intention to look fem ???

I don't understand these phrases. Help

Wendy me
10-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Marla goggle it lol everything is on google...sorry i did not save the link.......

Marla S
10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Marla goggle it lol everything is on google...sorry i did not save the link.......
Found it (http://www.msu.edu/~alliance/faq/faqtransgendered.html):jumping:, but still don't understand it.:sad: Prof. Google sometimes speaks in mysteries:straightface:
Doesn't matter ... if they know what they are talking about, that's at least something :D

charlie
10-11-2007, 06:43 PM
The rate of anomalies in susposedly exclusive natural systems usually is one standard deveation--or 3 I/2 percent.

From various sources, over the years I have learned that All the locks in the world are for 3 1/2 % of the people (criminally inclined), Homosexuals (despite masters and Johnson) seem to number 3 1/2 % of the population. the number of people with AIDS (I know , bad example) who are NOTgay or DO NOTuse drugs is 3 1/2% ----I have many other examples, but cant recall them at the moment.

Based on this, we can expect at LEAST 3 1/2 % of the male population may be CD---BUT I think it may be much Higher, if only based on my experience as a kid on Halloween. In the early 60'S nearly ALL my friends dressed as girls for halloween trick or treating (11-16 years old) and certianly 50- to 60 % of the guys in school---it was quite popular then. Many may STILL be CDing--although perhaps being driven into secrecy in later years with "gay" and "Queer" ridicule that cropped up in later years---something we didnt talk about back then.

If I had to guess, I would think that at least 20% of males CD or have CD fantasies (or closeted) today. 20% vs 80% is ALSO a very common "natural" ratio that shows up BTW.

You make me laugh! In the fifth grade at the Halloween carnival I got first Place for my costume....yes, dressed as a girl. I wasn't even able to go to the Boy's Bathroom!

sarahpectoris
10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Society is generally intolerant of crossdressing, but as Jonnie B says socially acceptable crossdressing takes place at Halloween in the USA and at parties in the UK. Some of the men who crossdress on these occasions must be genuine CDs, but I suspect that many are "normal" men with no interest in CDing. (When do Australians dress: is it all on buses in the outback?)

Having seen the two crossdressed men at the school disco party I've been wondering about their motivation. Maybe it was just for fun. Although "crossdressed" I suspect that they may not have been crossdressers- unless they were out to their SOs. I'm competely in the closet as far as my SO is concerned, and I would have been extremely uncomfortable telling my SO that I wanted to crossdress to a "straight" party where the dress code was dress as a school kid appropriate to your physical gender. It would have been too close to telling my wife, and I am not ready for that yet.

Maybe for Trannie T's next survey she could ask about crossdressing non-crossdressers?

Joy Carter
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey you guys ! Who the heck cares. :2c: LoL