PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing "Merit Badges"

Phyliss
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
A recent poll about "going out" and other questions that have come up have gotten me to thinking.

Now I fully understand that there are those of us who are, for want of a better name, "Private Crossdressers" meaning they have no desire to leave the house, or for that matter, probably not even their closet. To each their own.

This may very well turn into a bit of a mental ramble and I guess that's OK. It might be difficult at times to follow my train of thought, but please allow me a bit of "Thinking Out Loud"

Disclaimer: The following comments are IN NO WAY aimed at any one person, place, business, or group. They are NOT to be taken as any sort of insult directed at anyone. If there is some discomfort in what I say, I am sorry if I cause any pain.

For those of us who are making the journey to eventually "Go Out" and if possible "PASS" I've kinda noticed that there are a number of "Tokens" we need to collect along the way. Much like some video games that are a "quest" type of game. Meaning the "magic ring" usually found under a particular rock, Then there is the standard "extra lives" that can be collected. You get the idea. I KNOW CDing is NOT a game, it is a way of life for some, a desire for others, a hobby for still others. I'm not exactly sure where I fall in this, but that isn't my point.

Reading other postings and belonging to a few other sites having to do with CD I've noticed a common set of actions among all of us. From the first tentative thoughts of wearing something to going out everyday and interacting with others, there are particular "milestones" to be passed, or "tokens" to collect. Perhaps even call them "merit badges" like Boy Scouts. "Do don't have a digital camera with a timer?, What kind of CD are you?" Gotta buy one of them.
The first "try on" of an article of clothing, (Even if it was too big)
The first "purchase" on line or even in person and telling "the fib" of loosing the football bet.
There a some steps we "must" take to be able to call ourself a CD. That first pair of heels. The skirt or dress. THE WIG, the makeup. Breast Forms, (even if they are bird seed blobs) You get the idea.

Shopping at various stores. I guess this is where all of this post is heading. I know about "marketing" and the art of sales. I have a B.A. in sales and marketing. But something that just "bugs" me to no end. Just what is it about particular stores that seems to be almost a "holy grail" of CDing? Case on point. Hardly a week goes by that I don't read some posting that says something to the effect of, "OOOHHH I went to Victoria Secret and bought....( panties, or bra, or both) and I felt so girly, the S.A. was sooooo nice.)
V.S. brought the subject of underwear to the mainstream with some splashy marketing and use of beautiful models that don't look anything like real women. They're selling a dream that many people buy into. Having to get my own "ticket punched" and earn my V.S. Merit Badge, I've bought some undies and tried on a bra at one of their stores. I will say that I wasn't highly impressed. The turn over rate for S.A. s is rather high, so if I were to return to the same store I most likely wouldn't find the same person.
I've also found this to be true in Lane Bryant. Just when I'd gotten comfortable with making any purchases there, the young lady I'd gotten to know, left for another job. Not that this totally devastated me, by this time I'd become a known person by some of the other people working there, so it wasn't like I had to start all over again.
I would much rather go to a local and privately owned store to make any sort of purchases. Usually I end up talking to the owner and find that I get a much better level of service and interest in what fits me and looks good on me.
Like I said at the start, "To each their own" Trust me, I AM NOT judging anyone for their choice of where they buy their clothing. I would just like to be able to understand what is the fascination with Victoria Secret and why has it become one of the "Rights of Passage" to be a CD.

Lori SC
10-10-2007, 08:41 PM
So you have two points Phylis?

1- there are steps (merit badges) we all take before we go out in public, interact with people, and feel comfortable.

True enough, I agree. I could even list some of them.
First purchase of Bra & Panties
First Purchase of skirt, dress
First Wig
First bra "filler"
First set of silicon breast forms
First Drive in car at night
First drive in car in daytime
First time buying stamps at 24 hr post office
First time pumping gas
First time order food at fast food joint
First walk in the mall

How many can the rest of you add? (Let's see I have all those on my girl scout uniform:D)

2- You bash VS since you were underwhelmed, and/or also have a complaint about stores that turn over their SAs too frequently for you.

I can't say I agree with you on this one yet. I haven't earned my VS merit badge yet. I also can't justify the cost of the clothes to shop at the stores where you get personal attention. (Kohls and JCP are about as pricy as I can justify to my wife & myself). So SA turnover isn't an issue for me.

Hugs, Lori

Cristi
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
How about;
First time talking to a stranger while dressed
First time being called "Ma'm"
First full day (at least 12 hours) dressed
First time trying to apply 'full' makeup
Getting your ears pierced
Shaving (1 point for legs, 2 points for chest, 3 point for arms :D)
Buying makeup or getting a consultation at a cosmetics counter where the SA knows you are buying for yourself.
Checking into and out of a hotel while en femme.

As far as scouting goes, remember it isn't just about the merit badges, it is also about advancing up the ranks from tenderfoot to eagle. I had to look this up (its been a LONG time since I was a scout!!) but here ya' go.
Tenderfoot
Second Class
First Class
Star
Life
Eagle

I'd say that 'tenderfoot' is the beginner that tries on a pair of the SO's panties once in a while, while the Eagle is comfortable going out and about fully en femme for several days at a stretch. On that scale, I'd probably fall somewhere between 'Star' and 'Life'. Hmmm... just about as far as I got in scouting!! :happy:

Billijo49504
10-10-2007, 09:08 PM
What about going to the grocery store and spending over $50, mine was $118, on groceries. And I had the wife with me, so we looked like a couple of females...BJ

jaina
10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I do not understand the victorias secret thing. I just don't see the facination. OK quality at high prices, at Moi Destino prices.

It might be a forbidden fruit thing but buying womens clothes in womens clothes isn't that bit a deal, Its what clerks expect.
Buying the materials for the new deck at a hardware store, picking up a $200 order at the package store (liquor store) for a holiday party, paying the VAT at the tax office, all more of a milestone then buying lingerie.

battybattybats
10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Here's some more:

First time you publicly defended, stood up for, or attacked a criticism of CD/TS/TG people.
First coming out to someone.
First coming out to someone who knows you.
First coming out to a relative.
First face-to-face meeting with another CD.
First pride march/protest/advocacy.

RobertaFermina
10-11-2007, 01:14 AM
First time bringing out another CD for their first time
First day working at an out-of-home jobsite

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Emily Ann Brown
10-11-2007, 07:33 AM
First time being stopped by a police officer.
First time with a group of sisters.

Emily Ann

LisaElizabeth
10-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi all,
Merit badges, Merit badges... Hmm... I guess that is a good way to put it!
One that I probably won't get is the VS badge!! I have found just as cute and sexy bras and panties at other stores for wa-y-y-y-y-y-y less cost!! As an example, I have 'man-boobs', so I only need a set of enhancers to give me cleavage. At VS... $75, at the local Maidenform store... $29.99! It was a 'no-brainer' where to buy them. Same box, same brand!
Now, if you go to JC PENNEY, and check out the new 'Ambrielle' lingerie line, it pretty much matches anything VS makes at 1/2 the price. They also stock sexy bras up to 46DD so for us larger girls, we can wear something a little sexier. (I wear a 40C myself)
I have most of the above merit badges mentioned. The thing about finally going out as Lisa is that all the other badges pale after you have had an evening out with a group of girls for dinner and partying at 'T' friendly places. that one is what makes earning the others worthwhile!!
Huggs,
Lisa Elizabeth

uknowhoo
10-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Funny timing!! My son just joined scouting, my wife and I are the den leaders, and we just hosted our first tiger cub meeting last night! Oh, if the other parents only knew that I had just earned my girlie eagle at Southern Comfort last month!! :heehee:

LoriNC
10-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I just came out to the wife. So I guess I would be under tenderfoot in the cub scouts. (:p To Tammie that makes 2 of us I been doing it for 2 years now Webelos)

Veronica Fallon
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I think I earned two new ones yesterday:

1) I broke the first of my newly grown, 1 1/4" nails. :cry::cry::cry:

2) I was called "ma'am" while en-drabbe. :thinking::idontknow::worried:

Now... how many boxes of cookies should I put you down for??? :battingeyelashes::heehee:

Hugz,

Veronica

P.S.- Are we still looking for a cute uniform???

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff269/VeronicaFallon/1340n.jpg

Cristi
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Veronica

No, I think our search for the uniform is pretty much over! :happy::thumbsup::happy:

Now if I can just get it in my size, that would make a PERFECT halloween costume. I think I would have to shave just a bit higher than I usually do, though. :eek:

Michelle_NY
10-11-2007, 02:02 PM
very nice Phyliss. I agree totally gf

Ðarissa
10-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Does that hot girl come with the uniform? :D

Linda C
10-11-2007, 02:17 PM
No, I think our search for the uniform is pretty much over! :happy::thumbsup::happy:

Now if I can just get it in my size, that would make a PERFECT halloween costume. I think I would have to shave just a bit higher than I usually do, though. :eek:

OMG - I am in love!! Can I expect that girl scout in my neighborhood?? :devil:

battybattybats
10-11-2007, 07:27 PM
So who will design the badges then?

Jodi
10-11-2007, 08:44 PM
How about:

Having dinner at the grand opening of a new upscale restaurant

Going to a regular New Years Eve party with over 1000 people and being one of 6 cd's there.

Going out to a regular dinner theater and sitting with regular couples at the same table.

Spending the week enfemme at a lake resort.

If these qualify, I have these four badges.

LynnInDenver
10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Buying clothes in a real store, without making a lame excuse when the SA actually gives you the odd look.

Going out to a CD meeting in dress.

Leaving your home en femme.

Going to a crowded restaurant/club with your sisters.

And applying your own makeup, successfully.

I've managed all those so far.

Now, for the ones I want but don't yet have:

Being able to talk without giving oneself away.

Going out alone when en femme.

Spending more than 8 hours en femme.

Cristi
10-11-2007, 10:37 PM
So who will design the badges then?

Badges?? We don't need no steenking badges!

(sorry... just couldn't resist)

Jocelyn Quivers
10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
1. EBAY Merit Badge- Recieved when you get at least a 50 user rating, and you are no longer bidding in only "private auctions". Let the whole world see it's you bidding on that wig, or those size 13 plattform shoes.

2. One Hanes Place Merrit Badge- Recieved once you are receiving catalogs after making so many purchases. Of course the catalogs must be in your male name.

3. Silkies Merit Badge- Recieved when you start getting weekly emails despite requesting to no longer recieve emails. Again you accidentaly used your male email address. So all emails are addressed to your male name.

4. Nationals Catalog Merit Badge- Recieved when to your ever lasting regret you purchase one item from Nationals Clothing and you recieve dozens of clothing catalogs from different companies that are all pretty much selling the same stuff. Catalogs are mailed to your male name of course.

5. Amazon Merit Badge- Recieved after buying at least 5 books related to transgendered topics.

Lori SC
10-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Now... how many boxes of cookies should I put you down for??? :battingeyelashes::heehee:

Hugz,

Veronica

Oh Veronica... where did you find that uniform? Just what I had in mind for our new scouting order! I love it. Wish I looked like that too! :rose2: (In the uniform of course!)

Badges?? We don't need no steenking badges!

(sorry... just couldn't resist)

Oh Cristi... Maybe we don't need merit badges, but there are a lot of stages, tirals, tribulations, whatever, we all go through. If you meet other CDs face to face for a long talk, you'll find that there ARE a lot of similarities. And we could give merit badges since there are so many things we all do - exactly the same. This thread simply serves to enumerate those commonalities.

We may be different fron John & Jane Smith in America, but we have a lot in common with all other CDs on this board! Send out those merit badges!

Hugs, Lori

Phyliss
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
So you have two points Phylis?

1- there are steps (merit badges) we all take before we go out in public, interact with people, and feel comfortable.

2- You bash VS since you were underwhelmed, and/or also have a complaint about stores that turn over their SAs too frequently for you.

Hugs, Lori

No, I am not "bashing" V.S., as a corporation. It has a duty to the shareholders to make as much money as possible, by whatever legal means there are.

The S.A. turn over rate at some stores is just something I have to contend with, as much as I might not like it. It's not that I'm wealthy or trying to be any sort of "snob" about my buying, I just feel more at ease with a familiar face. Even if I haven't been in a particular store for 5 months.

Before this goes too far. I want to make sure that my reference to "merit badges" was only an analogy to the many steps we take on our journey. Call it "Gaining tokens" in the game of Life. "Having your Ticket Punched" on this wonderful ride.
There was no intent to bring in "Scouting" to Crossdressing. Although I do go "scouting" for new clothes now and then, but that's different than learning how to make fire by rubbing things together. (Oh did I say that? :o )

Michelle (Oz)
10-12-2007, 03:06 AM
As regards "firsts", I'll bet that almost anything you can think of has been done before by someone en femme. It all boils down to those who feel very comfortable out and about really have NO boundaries other than dictated by considerations of personal safety. The hardest step is going beyond the dressing room. After that each step comes easier and easier.

When it comes to shopping, I'm to the point that I want best value. One exception for me is MAC and it isn't any particular SA. They know their products well and know the particular requirements for CDers. I have been given lots of good advice (and good product) by them.

Michelle (Oz)

rustynail
10-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Seems to me there are different levels or classes:
Tenderfoot: underdressing, buying bras and panties, stockings, etc, hiding your stache, "coming out" to a forum like this,
2nd class: dressing at home, selling intimates on e-bay, driving at night while dressed, having your collection where your wife knows, top badge: when your wife starts buying you things.
First class: out with all its variations.
I am in the second class but have not yet earned the top badge, and no wish to proceed to first class.

Any views

Jamie14
10-13-2007, 02:37 PM
First time gonig to salon for hair,nails, and makeup
First time going shopping
First time going out to eat...............my favorite firsts in the last few years

Mistybtm
10-13-2007, 03:09 PM
first time receiving a packadge at the door in a night gown and red pollish toes.
first time came out to X.
Soon the first time being dressed in front of X.
first time out a night
first time taking a drive.
Are all of my past 2 months first's

I have my ebay Merit badge
suscribe to womans magazines. Merit badge
Dress every day merit badge.
sleep in a night gown merit badge
Dress for men for a date Merit badge.

battybattybats
10-13-2007, 06:08 PM
first time receiving a packadge at the door in a night gown and red pollish toes.

Hmm... does a black fluffy bathrobe (admittedly it's meant to be mens) and black toenail polish cut it? Because I've signed for packages and talked with the landlord like that.

Billijo49504
10-13-2007, 09:59 PM
First, Lisa E, I have to disagree, VS is a store who doesn't care who you are, just spend. JC Penny's on the other hand, herein west MI, is a real pain to get helped in the lingerie dept. When I told the SA that I was shopping for me, she said REALLY what for? I told her I had breasts and needed bra's that fit, she just laughed, and I left. Off to VS, there I was treated like a paying customer. No big deal, you want a bra, we have bras, what size did you want. Would you like to try it on. thank you for shopping at VS. It made an impression, in a good way....BJ