PDA

View Full Version : What needs to be done?

battybattybats
10-10-2007, 09:25 PM
What are the big issues for TG folk around the world?
What needs to be done?
How can this be achieved?

I'll start with one.

Problem: I've heard that there is a huge problem with homelessness for GLB and especially TG folk with many shelters being unwilling to take them in because of their differance.

Solution: Change the rules/attitudes of shelters and/or provide shelters for GLB and especially T people.

How: Activism/voting choices to change the rules for shelters and (this is I think a really good idea) set up a charity for Transgender issues where, for example, breast forms and clothes from an online store could have all profit going to funding activism and opening shelters in the most needed communities. This would enable out people to donate with tax exemption (where applicable) but where closeted people could contribute in a direct and meaningful way to the TG community.

What do you think? Would my ideas work? What other issues need urgent attention? What can be done about them?

jaina
10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
The only shelter that works with the TG comunity in any capacity is VOA (Volunteers of America) and even then only if outreach foots the bill or counselors that know each other and can work the system, more for future networking and favors placing future clients then helping the TG client.

Privatly funded shelters would be a good solution.
Womens shelters are are brutal towards the TG community, the worst to deal with and the first to grab resources. Faith based shelters always keep public funding out of the books so they can legally discriminate but are generally polite on the phone.

More support of Non-OPs and more good info on Non-Ops in the DOM would be a HUGE step forward.

Eugenie
10-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for bringing up the subject. I haven't encountered X-dressers who are in extreme poverty. And indeed there is certainly a group of people who have to face the problem.

I will ask the president of the advocacy group I'm working with to see if he knows about that subject. He is working with a huge European network fighting against the discriminations faced by people living bellow poverty level. He may have encountered the problem.

There are other domains where the difficulties of being a x-dresser are compounded by another ground of discrimination, for example people with disabilities who are also x-dressers find it very hard to express that last aspectof their personality. In the case of people with learning disabilities, the attitude of families and support groups may be extremely negative towards x-dressing, downplaying the need to x-dress with "He doesn't know what he is doing." type of attitudes...

That creates, de facto a double form of discrimination.

This is one aspect I'm working on at the European level.

:hugs:
Eugenie

Kris
10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
The only shelter that works with the TG comunity in any capacity is VOA (Volunteers of America) and even then only if outreach foots the bill or counselors that know each other and can work the system, more for future networking and favors placing future clients then helping the TG client.

Wow, that is just insane to read this because VOA here, works with all walks of life... They even have a domestic violence program for trans gendered people. And.. they DO foot the bill for it. I'm not so sure about outreach.. but they do outreach for all kinds of domestic violence survivors.. male, female, trans gendered, gay, straight.. it makes no difference.

Kris

Tree GG
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
In the US, any formal organization can apply for, and receive not-for-profit status and accept donations without tax responsibility (under certain limits, of course). This does, however, require legal documentation and filing forms with the IRS stating names of directors. Tri-Ess or any group such as that could establish and operate shelters but would need dedicated manpower and acquisition of resources (again requires principles and staff to be "out" to the cause, not necessarily "out" as dressers).

In my experience, TS individuals are affected by the loss of income most, which might not make Tri-Ess really the best choice - I just use them as an example. CDs stay under the employer's radar for just this reason.

Grants are also available to anyone - not just women's shelters. You just have to have a group of principles willing to publically stand up and say we need this and I'm willing to spend my energies in achieving it. Waiting on the government to put TG issues into public funding is just waiting for "someone else" to take care of the problem, and the US bureaucracy is a big windmill to joust.

Quote from unknown source, "I used to ask why someone doesn't do something. Then I realized, I am someone."

MJ
10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Problem: I've heard that there is a huge problem with homelessness for GLB and especially TG folk with many shelters being unwilling to take them in because of their differance.

Here in Canada the Goodshepard center treat trans woman as woman i was in a womans shelter for 72 days and the rule was you must identify as a woman they also help me with housing and help me get on my feet ..

i know the big issue is finding acceptance in the work place that is a big issue .
an employer can hire anyone they chose and the transgendered person is the last .... i know there are rules for ts but try to prove why you were not picked .. why have to deal with employee about a ts in the work place when you don't have too

Batty
i think you are smart enough to know , while i was in the shelter i met a few t-girls and it breaks my heart to see what they have to put up with .. most of it is there own doing ... again it comes down to acceptance from the general public

i don't want a hand out ...i want a hand up instead ..if i am ignored i will go away some else can deal with the problem

jaina
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, that is just insane to read this because VOA here, works with all walks of life... They even have a domestic violence program for trans gendered people. And.. they DO foot the bill for it. I'm not so sure about outreach.. but they do outreach for all kinds of domestic violence survivors.. male, female, trans gendered, gay, straight.. it makes no difference.

Kris
It is insane.
And thats just getting people placed in emergency housing. Nevermind getting client funding for medical care or fulltime qualifying living and working arangements.

battybattybats
10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
I know a TS who was having substantial mental health issues and had tried to commit suicide. The local womens shelter turned her away with a comment along the lines of 'if you've got a d**k the women here will think you are a man and we don't take men in, it would be to uncomfortable and distressing for the woman here'.
That was only a couple of years ago.

As for workplace/employment problems, I think legislation is the only way to practically solve that problem. For that political action is required.

battybattybats
10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
So, what else needs to be done?
What other big issues are out there for us?

Billijo49504
10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
The GM plant I worked at had a practicing crossdresser, or TS, he/she was well excepted by management, but not by the hourly ppl. He wasn't of the right mental opinion of his self. He wanted to show his boobs to the ladies, not good. But he transfered to a Delfi plant, because it was air conditioned, his makeup wouldn't run, his words to me. My ideas, this guy needed makeup lessons drasticly...BJ