PDA

View Full Version : Are appearances or age a determining factor?

Vaerise
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
This is just an observation that I noticed from another Transgendered Forum. The TG/TS/CD that introduces themselves at a younger age or include a pretty picture in their avatar tends to get more response to their introduction posts.
When they have queries they also get more responses to their questions.

While the older ones who introduces themselves or ask questions seem to elicit much less response from the remaining members in the forum.

I'm curious, what do you girls think? Do you think that age / appearances are a determining factor in getting response and help even among fellow TG/TS/CD?

AllieSF
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I have noticed the same thing, especially when pics are involved. However, a well written lead-in thread post can attract a lot of good attention.

Lisa Rose
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes

Joann0830
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I guess the male side still floats to the top and a little flirting shows through
I am just a 59 year old Lady who just enjoys socializing with great Ladies like yourself. Love to all and thats not flirting just a gentle hello from the Real Me Joann0830:heehee::love:

docrobbysherry
10-11-2007, 11:17 PM
This may be difficult to answer, as I don't know what is happening with other members. However, my experience might help u. This site makes it impossible to post my pics. Over at, dateacrossdresser.com, I have posted a LOT of my pics. Despite my posting info indicating I am a straight man, looking for a GG, I get a private message wanting to hook up, almost every other day. Most r from CD's. Maybe 3 from GG's. In the same period of time on this site, I have received no hook up invites. My age doesn't seem to be a deal killer, either. I think it's just my pics! What do u think?
myspace.com/robertsherry

MsJanessa
10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Well then T-Girls are like everybody else---

Marla S
10-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Definitively.
Prettiness and youth can open doors that won't open for those that don't fulfill the ideal of beauty.

But that's not TG specific, that holds true for all aspects of life.

The only other thing that can somewhat compete with it is being authentic.

MJ
10-12-2007, 06:57 AM
yes . but i feel the younger members are missing out on quality more seasoned members **like myself** don't kill the messenger lol
and thats OK i think it's a normal behavior, like we tend to associate with our own age group . i find this within the gg community as well not to mention cd tend to stick together .....not rocket science just normal imho

Suzie Green
10-12-2007, 07:07 AM
It can also work both ways. If a 20-something CD says she's new, I still may say "welcome", but if she's 60, I might go on a bit more because there is something to identify with...more of a common bond. A photo avatar or one in the profile helps too. I know that not everyone is comfortable having their picture taken (or published!), but I find myself applauding those that do. It takes courage to come out like that, and I guess that's the reward. :2c:

christid66
10-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Suzie makes a great point,
Those of us that have been on this planet a bit longer (won't say older :winking:) do have more to identify with.....especially if they're married with kids & are in the closet - as I am.
....and the picture helps - even though mine probably scared people away:heehee:

Lilith Moon
10-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Definitely. Young pretty things get more attention and help, just like in the rest of society. In Second Life I pose as a pretty young female and people expressing all genders fall over themselves to help and give advice...until/unless I tell them about the real balding old me...then they are gone.

Suzie Green
10-12-2007, 07:25 AM
....and the picture helps - even though mine probably scared people away:heehee:

:lol: You just think you're scaring people away. Trust me, you are more of a knockout that you realize Christi. I know how you feel though...I say the same thing to my wife and she always tells me how good I look, even when I tell her I'm just another "guy in a dress!" :hugs:

Kate Simmons
10-12-2007, 07:29 AM
I suppose so Hon. I just have a kind of a chuckle to myself thinking that these young pups have a lot to experience yet. Most us who have been around a while have kind of a "been there, done that" point of view and take things in stride and with a grain of salt. Even so, I try to look at everyone equally to the extent possible.:happy:

Vaerise
10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
A senior TS (Native American) visited this other forum that I normally go to and did a very rather thorough, genuine and sincere introduction. Yet she got very little response and the welcomes seems rather lukewarm.
Kind of "oh its another old TS...."

OTOH, when a young TS introduces herself with her wall of text message, she is greeted by many people who seems genuinely sympathetic to her situation...

I guess its the same everywhere, although it doesn't concern me, it does upset me a bit to see this..

christid66
10-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Vareise,
Thank you for raising this as a thread. The disparity between comments/encouragement is apparent. Maybe it's up to us to redress that.

Salandra's comment sums it up perfectly...

I try to look at everyone equally to the extent possible.:happy:

AmandaM
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I've received a couple of contacts from TV/TG that want to hang out. No sexual advances which I don't want. I don't mind talking about sex, sexuality, or even my own experiences in pm, but that's as far as I go. I haven't posted a real picture of me, though when I was younger I was mostly passable. Now, not really, but the weight is about halfway gone so, soon I'm hoping. :) We'll see. I'm sure at that time, I might get more attention.

docrobbysherry
10-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I guess its the same everywhere, although it doesn't concern me, it does upset me a bit to see this..

I've just started dating again recently. Mostly women about 50 years old. Some of them are interresting and good company. But I'm not used to how old they look, and they've lost their figures. Bottom line, I'm not attracted to them. I WANT to be, but I'm not. I HATE that about myself, but it's the way I am. Like u, I dislike that people tend to value attraction over, or before, getting to know if they like that person. But, how do u change that in the world? I can't even change that in myself!

Mona
10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Although I am certainly attracted to "pretty" and "sexy" I value the deeper feelings and emotions of an older person and find it is one's personality that can lead to the deepest desires.

Jilmac
10-12-2007, 02:15 PM
i agree i think a pic makes all the difference in the world. i don't have a pic and have gotten only sparse replys to my threads.
jill

Karren H
10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Huh?? I don't even look at peoples avatar when I respond to a question!! Hell I have CD friends that I have never seen what they look llike and could care less frankly.. Its the question that's important.. If its on technique or style or makeup.... Clothing I more than happy to jump in but it its the old "I feel soo girly and don't I look pretty" ........ Or how many pairs of panties do you have??? Hahaha.

I could care less.. All questions are not equal as is all responses are not equal... So if your baseing your analysis on a mixture of those types of qyestion then I feel its flawed...

Kind of why I've been spending more time over at makeuptalk... Lot less whinnieness.. Hehehe

charllote34
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I try and give everyone the same level of support be it 18 or 80 i treat people the way i would like to be treat!

Dusty
10-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I personally dont give a hoot about young or old,we are all sisters in my book and we need to stick together and help one another as much as humanly possible because most of the world in general wont.It breaks my heart to think that any of us would be that way,dont we get enough grief from most people who refuse to accept who we are??
Luv Dusty

Jillm
10-13-2007, 07:35 AM
I think a good picture does make a difference in the amount of replies. If you want me to reply just make a good statement or ask a good question I don’t care about the picture, but anyone in the form can see that you are probably right just by browsing through threads. I think the picture does generate more replies. Even though I have a picture I sure don’t want someone replying because of that, of course I’m not young, or going to show you my face so I probably get fewer replies. I want someone to respond to me because I posted a good thread, or they respect my statements. Just my two cents.

Valerie
10-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes, of course, beauty is a significant attraction, but so is good humor, elegance, wit, and many other talents. And what about the quality of the replies? I prefer a few thoughtful ones than a whole bunch of leering wows (not that I would merit getting them...). In any case, one of my grandmothers used to say that there is a reason for why all fingers of our hand are different. We need all sizes and shapes.

Cheers to all,

Valerie

Mitch23
10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
There are some very thought provoking and challenging threads here. I often find them difficult because a lot of time and mental effort is required to do them justice. I'm aware of how much time i'm spending online and how much my wife hates me talking to my girlie friends.

One of my main reasons for my high level of interest in dressing at the moment is because i look good and i know it! mitch looks about 20 years younger than mike and i guess i'm as vain as the next girl. i love posting pictures and getting nice comments. probably wouldn't be too keen if i looked like the back end of a bus ...

mitch

SherriePall
10-13-2007, 08:00 AM
My answer is no. I clicked on a question -- your lead in to this post. I can not see avatar pics from the list. Granted, some names are familiar and I'll check their posts, but their ages and looks are varied -- they just seem to be old friends now.

rachellenicole
10-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I personally do not care, I'm close to 50 but having a great time, reality kicks me in the head from time to time. Cross dressers are just like everyone else, we all strive to look as good as we can, and love to get complimented on our looks, but age has a way of putting a damper on that. Some of the gals may not respond to a thread posted buy the older CD's, or may not like the avatar.... Oh Well! We live in an image conscious society.

Rach.:2c:

Sharon_Rose
10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I definitely believe that it does make a difference. I had week to myself and only dressed once to get out of the house. While I thought I looked very nice face on, I turned sideways and looked like a silly aging man. It definitely affected me. I enjoyed going out - dining, shopping, dancing - but the shock of seeing myself was horrific. I guess that I am too judgmental.

The Gas Man Cometh
10-15-2007, 04:05 AM
I don't find myself getting any sort of special treatment...

o_O?

Though as in the natural world, beauty and youthfulness plays a part in attraction. And by attraction I don't just mean sexual or romantic.

Lisa Golightly
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Makes no difference to me...

nikki_t
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Definitively.
Prettiness and youth can open doors that won't open for those that don't fulfill the ideal of beauty.

But that's not TG specific, that holds true for all aspects of life.

Very true!

The only other thing that can somewhat compete with it is being authentic.

This line struck a chord with me - it's why I don't retouch my photos in photoshop (I was looking at someone's myspace pics yesterday and they had clearly pasted someone else's face over there own!!). For what I lack in super model material I try to make up for by being as genuine as possible.

-