PDA

View Full Version : do you do your own make up?

Daphne Renee
10-12-2007, 11:54 AM
There is probably another thread about this but I couldn't find it.

anyhow my question for you ladies is do you do your own makeup? where do you have it done? If everything goes right I will be going out dressed this Halloween. I do ok with makeup but I am not exactly an expert. I don't have the cash for a private makeup session and not sure I would be comfortable getting it done in the mall at one of those makeup counters.

TGKrissyCD
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes, I do my own makeup except for some occassions when a CD friend does it for me. I learned by firsts getting all the hints I could fine on the web. The info does not necessarly have to be just for the transgender. The info for GG's will work for us also. Do go to "Beauty" here and scroll through the threads. The best teacher for self makeup is trial and error. Put it on take it off till you are satisfied the results. Remember, makeup for a brunette is a lot different than for a blonde.

Lisa Golightly
10-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I've always done my own... I started around 8 years old so I'm not too bad at it.

wannabie
10-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately Yes.

I need help and will have to consult a MUA

MJ
10-12-2007, 01:11 PM
i do my own now , but when i first started i had help

nikki_t
10-12-2007, 01:17 PM
S.O. did it a couple of times but mostly myself. However, I wish I could find a pro make-up artist in my area with MTF experience because I really want to get a pro make-over. Sigh.

Kate Simmons
10-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I always do my own. It's mostly how I learned really. The main reason though is that I never know just how I'm going to do stuff until I do it and sometimes experiment as I go along. Sal's finished look is, shall we say, nothing like Rich's.;):heehee:

Karren H
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Always have and always will.. Though the ladies at makeuptalk have help imensely enhance my presentation.. The ses last few months.. The down side is it take a lot longer to do it correctly.. But the results are worth the effort... I started using makeup books and videos.. And just practicing!!

Even having it done professionally is not going to trickle down to you so you have to work hard to be able to recreate the look you want.. I practiced my makeup every morning before work for almost 2 years straight.. Then washed it off in the shower .. Practice practice practice..

kassandra richard
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Do mine own as well. I've not been on MUT enough to pick up tips from them, but there have threads here about some online videos showing how stuff should/could be done. I also looked through a book that my wife has but it wasn't all that great. Kevin Aucoin's books "Making Faces" and "Face Forward" are pretty good for inspiration. And, I just picked up "Five Minute Face" by Carmindy from TLC's "What Not To Wear". Great tips in that book and she gives fairly simple instructions on how to get the look you want. Will definitely be used when I get out this Sunday.

Kassandra

christid66
10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I've been trying to follow http://www.howtobeauty.com/Makeovers/index.html but it's a bit like taking painting lessons from Salvador Dali or any other great artist.
They show me how to do it, I know what it should look like, I know what I want it to look like but it doesn't

joann07
10-12-2007, 01:54 PM
I've done my makeup ever since I started a year ago and I've had a lot of help along the way.
I look so much different and more natural looking now then I did back then.

christid66
10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
You're right Brenda.....sorry

Jilmac
10-12-2007, 02:09 PM
all i really know how to do myself is apply lipstick. i've watched my mom, my sisters, my daughters, and my wife, but still can't get the hang of it. i had a female friend apply my makeup once when i went to a halloween party in high school, but that was many years ago. if you're comfortable going out dressed, perhaps you could try a tg meeting in your area to see if there might br someone there to help. tg meetings are good places to get tips, and find friends in other cd's and admirers . Jill

Dana Carlton
10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I do my own as well. Like most others, it's been strictly trial and error. Mostly error :redface:. I just keep practicing and learning new things everyday. My wife really is not much help, as she wears very little makeup. She gets her make-up tips from me.

Angie G
10-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes I do It's keep in the bathroom or with my things in the computer room and not hidden my wife knows were it is she as even given me some :hugs:
Angie

Mirani
10-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I enjoy getting ready and putting my face on :)
Trial and error - it was fun trying different looks - but now I jsy put my slap on when I go out, except for a bit of lippy at other times.

Eugenie
10-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes I do my own makeup.

A few years back it was awful, I was using far too much product... Thanks to the great advice of two GG friends, I've made some progress in being a lot more light with those makeup products.

So here is my :2c: : try to get a GG friend who could help you. First to select the right products and then to help you becoming better at using those products by yourself...

:hugs:
Eugenie

Sally24
10-12-2007, 09:18 PM
MAC will do just your eyes for nothing if you ask. I find those are the hardest part for me to get just right, or really Glam. Why not do everything else and then have them put the finishing touches on for you? Good luck!

Monique Althea
10-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I went to MAC for a makeover, and found that they helped me the most by picking out the right colors for me. But I prefer to do my own makeup. It's taken a fair amount of practice, and I don't do anything particularly dramatic with my face (yet), but I tend to feel more secure if I've dealt with my beard issues personally.

shauna 9
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, I do my own makeup except for some occassions when so does it for me.

susie evans
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
allways i need the practice:heehee:

susie

Suzy Harrison
10-12-2007, 10:54 PM
One thing I really do feel confident about is applying make up.

I've been doing it for years - have practiced a lot, experimented a lot and read a lot. - And now I just love to apply it as it's part of the fun of being a girl :happy:

I've done my makeup ever since I started a year ago and I've had a lot of help along the way.
I look so much different and more natural looking now then I did back then.

Joann is full of surprises. I just presumed you had been doing this for years.
You've done more in your first year than I did in my first 30 years! - :cheer:

Wendi {LI NY}
10-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I do my own and I always did . I had a professional make over once and he did a awful job ,:mad: But the girls are right practice ,practice and then Practice some more . :D Wendi

Khriss
10-12-2007, 11:36 PM
self taught ..good or bad :D:eek:
..While like Lisa , I started a while ago ..read books (library-and notes!?)
checked with "Fashion Mag's" for comparisons .. and bought kit's from Adrien Arpel etc. While finding the time and place was tough sometimes.. finaly I figured out ..this stuff washes off !! and I can start over..or try again eh ?? xx"K"
hopefully, practice will pay off someday ?... and I now might be a part owner of Ponds or Noxema !! hehe

Rachel Morley
10-13-2007, 12:45 AM
I do my own nowadays. However, my wife Marla used to do it for me up until about a year and and a half ago.

Melissa Davis
10-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I do my own nowadays. However, my wife Marla used to do it for me up until about a year and and a half ago.
Hi Rachel!

I definetly do my own. My wife is really good at putting on her makeup, but I have a really heavy beard. I have to take my time. Each time is a new experience as I have only been putting on make-up for about 2 months.

jennCD
10-13-2007, 01:59 AM
I've always done my own,.. at least the few times I had the chance. Still need much more practice tho to get the feel that I'm doing it correctly,.. or at least well enough.
:)
jenn

Samantha43
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I LOVE makeup. I have always done my own. I am always checking out beautiful women to see how they wear their makeup, and get new ideas. I have had 30 years of practice, so I am pretty good at it. My wife even has me do her makeup when she really wants to look good. That is great fun making my wife look the way I like her to look. She loves it. She says it is really relaxing for her.

KarenMichelleLuv
10-20-2007, 11:56 PM
But the girls are right practice ,practice and then Practice some more . :D Wendi

Yeah, Practice does make perfect.

Lovely Rita
10-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I do my own makeup, but always looking to learn new techniques. Look alot at GGs to get ideas.
Never had a makeover with a pro but hopefully someday.

Marianna Julianna
10-21-2007, 01:34 AM
I do, totally self taught and it probably shows. The only help I get is on the rare occasions I'm dressed in the compan of my wife and she says I have to much foundation on, the last two times she didn't say that so I assume I either now have it right, or she's given up saying it.

MsJanessa
10-21-2007, 03:00 AM
There is probably another thread about this but I couldn't find it.

anyhow my question for you ladies is do you do your own makeup? where do you have it done? If everything goes right I will be going out dressed this Halloween. I do ok with makeup but I am not exactly an expert. I don't have the cash for a private makeup session and not sure I would be comfortable getting it done in the mall at one of those makeup counters.

yes but I've had training from a TG friend who went to Beauty School

Nicki B
10-21-2007, 04:06 AM
.. Practice practice practice..

I just keep practicing and learning new things everyday.

Trial and error - it was fun trying different looks

I prefer to do my own makeup. It's taken a fair amount of practice,

allways i need the practice

I've been doing it for years - have practiced a lot, experimented a lot and read a lot.

the girls are right practice ,practice and then Practice some more .

I've always done my own,.. at least the few times I had the chance. Still need much more practice tho to get the feel that I'm doing it correctly,..

I have had 30 years of practice, so I am pretty good at it.

Yeah, Practice does make perfect. .
:yt:

Deborah Jane
10-21-2007, 04:37 AM
I,ve always done my own..I love experimenting and trying differant looks. I,ts all part of the fun for me!!:D

KelliBennett
10-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I've done my own for years. Some things were good some part I was still having trouble.

Not to long ago I went to a salon that caters to cross dressers and got a makeover. Not only is her makeup good, her and I always talk about what she is doing and why. Even after the first session my own got so much better as she explained tips and techniques that made a huge difference.

I still go to her now and again. I love letting her experiment and try some new things. Some of which I add to things I do others I don't.

But practice makes perfect and for those that struggle a bit it could help tremendously when you do it yourself. Some guidance never hurts.

Julogden
10-21-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been doing my own makeup, and helped others too, for a long time, decades actually. Gosh, I'm getting old.:heehee:

Carol

DeniseNJ
10-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh can't seem to handle liquid eye liner , I always mess up, but doing the rest of the application goes fine. Doing your own make-up is part of the fun of being a girl. What I do need help with is Foundation and cover.. once I get that down pat I am set.:heehee:

Paula G
10-21-2007, 02:55 PM
My wife uses only lipstick, so I learned how to do my own.

Ms_Judys_pet
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
It looks like i'm in the same situation. my black dress and i are going to a Halloween party. my Wife does not wear make-up and when she does, it's very little. We're going to ask a GG friend of ours, or my step-daughter to help. Yes, my step-daughter knows and is cool about it.
Good Luck!

Rene
10-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I have had mine done by a professional for special occasions. It is always nice to be pampered, but there is nothing like having the confidence of doing your own and going out to meet the world. I have done my own for ever. I love make up, and playing with new looks. It is part of being a woman. MAC is my fav.

Allana_Hamilton
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
My fiance did mine in the pics I've posted here. I'll be doing as much of the foundation/beard cover as I can, then having her do the eyes.

The one thing she's not comfy with is liquid eyeliner, so I do that and the mascara myself. I was going to go with fake lashes, but they were a little to OTTDQ for me.

BTW - the other thing I did was a trick I saw on a youtube vid. I used medical tape to pull my eyebrows into more of an arch. So being bald has two advantages - it's easier to wear a wig, and you can stick stuff onto your head too!

Carroll
10-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I can do my own fairly well, but my wife love to do it for me.

jennifer41356
10-21-2007, 05:40 PM
I do my own and have my own makeup and like any gal, I practiced with different things , and got pretty good at it:D

Joy Carter
10-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Love mkeup !

I don't look that girlie but that don't stop me from trying. :D

I went to Mac late last winter and got a ton of makeup. I'm better at it now. Just don't get out much as I like, and I can't practice at home.

S. Lisa Smith
10-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I do my own. I have had Mary Kay ladies and Merle Norman ladies help me out with colors, etc. but I've been doing my own since I was 10.

Staci
10-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I mostly do my own make-up but once in a while my wife will help me get the real girl look. She clearly does it better than I do. She can use a small amount of make-up and make me look very feminine.

fancy nancy
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I have makeup on pretty much all the time in public .I feel naked without some on a daily basis .I have gotten pretty good applying my makeup since I started going out in public with it on.

JoAnnDallas
10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
I do my own makeup. It has not been easy, since I did not grow up as a girl and learn from my mother or older sisters. I have come a long ways since I started really wearing makeup back in 2005. I did a lot of research in the Bieuty section here on this forum and others. Also played around with some of the makeup software where you import a picture of your head and then outline your eyes, brows, lips, checks, and etc and then the software applies various makeup to different parts and you see the result. Finially after trial and error found the correct foundation and powder for my complexion.

Chris Corbett
10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I do my own makeup with a couple of tips from the web such as a very light red lipstick as a start to cover my beard. Then tips from my wife such as how to apply blush and what colour eye shadow.

Mitch23
10-22-2007, 02:14 PM
do my own and with the help of professionals have managed to get a 'look' through trial and error and loads of practice which i am fairly happy with and can do consistently. i'm probably ready to get more help and try out different techniques. can do it in from 20 minutes to half an hour

mitch

Lucypink
10-22-2007, 02:54 PM
I do it my self too, donĀ“t know anybody that can help me yet. But practicing has been a lot of fun and each time gets better.

Veronica 1
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I just started to apply makeup a couple of months ago and always do my own. I am just getting over the clown look and starting to understand the shading aspects but I do still have a looong way to go.

docrobbysherry
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Tried it and hated the results. Now, I just use the special faces I made thru trial and error. Since I don't go out, they work for me, in the mirror, and for my photo obsession. Also allows me to keep my facial hair, so I can stand to look at the man in the mirror, too.
RS

See what I mean if u r curious.
myspace.com/robertsherry

saratv555
10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I do my own, and I seem to be getting better every time. It's just about practice, so get dressed up more!

christid66
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Only because all the local plasterers/mudders are busy!
I'm going to keep trying though

Brenda's Friend
10-23-2007, 07:11 PM
I now have more make-up than my wife. And I have only had my own since June. But truefully, my wife doesn't need much.

BF

Daphne Renee
10-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Practice and experiment and don't be afraid to try something new and screw up - it will wash off, but in this way you can discover some really cool looks and effects.

I often get complimented on my makeup, being asked who did mine, or who taught me to. I learned mine myself, trial and error, watching others do it, trying to replicate the looks I like. It is still work in progress, but isn't it always...

By the way, if you happen to be in Vegas on Nov 10, a TG makeover extraordinaire Stephanie Williams is going to host a full-day makeup workshop.

I wish I could go to vegas that would be great.

LA CINDY LOVE
10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
I have learn the we cds can not use cheap make up we have to use the best and to me that is MAC. not only is the make up the best but the people who work there will give you all the help you need.

LA CINDY LOVE

Honey Blue
10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
DIFFICULT AT FIRST. The more you try the better you will do.

Hugs for trying to do your best.