PDA

View Full Version : Stolen license plates

JennMW
10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
While on a trip last weekend, I walked out of a restaraunt and found that the license plates on my van were gone! I know they were there earlier in they day because I had put my hand on it when I closed the tailgate. No, they were not loose and had been on there for years! I reported the theft to 800-TELL-CHP and worried about getting pulled over the rest of the long Colombus Day weekend.

I've been living full time for a couple of months except for work (for now), but hadn't yet had to go to a government agency to conduct official business yet. (other than TSA at the airport). I will be going to court to get an official name change but in the meantime still have to use my drivers license with my given name and assigned gender.

I figured it would be good for bulding my confidence, so I put on my black womens jeans, ankle boots with 3"hx1/2"w heel, silk short sleeve blouse, hoop earrings and my normal daytime makeup and go the the local DMV field office. The "start here" desk person greets me with a nice "How can I help you miss?", so I smile and ask for the replacement plate request form and he gives it to me along with a number. I then sit in the waiting area and fill it out and wait my turn.

After a few minutes, my number is called, so I go to the window with the registration which has my given name and my wifes name. The agent reviews the paperwork and looks at me and asks "So who is _____?" (my male name). I reply that I am and so she asks for my license. I hand it to her and after looking at it hands it back and handles the rest of the transaction professionaly, calling me at various times, ma'am, sweetie and honey.

A few minutes later and $18 poorer and I walk out with the new plates! (with a new number)

And yes I'm still mad at the bxxxxxd who stole my plates, but thankful that I was able to earn a new "merit badge"

I can't wait to go back and get an F after my driving test! (credit to Christine Daniels).

Jennifer

Shelly Preston
10-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Hi Jen

Its nice to hear what turned out to be bad in the begining had a happy ending :D

KatrinaAshley
10-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I know someone who had their back plate taken and replaced with another. Good thing they happened to notice it 'cause while you'll see if a plate is missing you might not always look close enough to see the same numbers.

Crazy people out there, huh? I'm sure they think the same of us, are we included? Lol.

nikki_t
10-12-2007, 12:31 PM
OK why would someone want to steal license plates? If they got caught, they could go to the big house and make them for free. :bonk:

JulieC
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Crazy people out there, huh? I'm sure they think the same of us, are we included? Lol.

"If no one thinks you're crazy, you're not trying hard enough"

Jilmac
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
good for you girl, i like happy endings. Jill

charlie
10-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Wow Jenifer, good for you. A truly gutsy move!

charlie-50
10-12-2007, 10:20 PM
OK why would someone want to steal license plates? If they got caught, they could go to the big house and make them for free. :bonk:

im not real shure about this nikki but think they dont send you to the big house foir stealing plates but they might if you steal what they are connected to...charlie...:devil:

Joann0830
10-12-2007, 11:41 PM
They steal the license plates off a car then steal a car right after that because the average person does not really look at their plates and dont report them for a while or get pulled over much later, giving the thief a large amount of time. I was in Law Enforcement and you would be surprised as to how many CDm Transexual there are in the Police Agencies. Joann

Gisele
10-13-2007, 07:11 AM
They steal plates cause they have a van like hers that is stolen or expired tags on it. It is never for anything other than unlawful reasons.

Lilith Moon
10-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Just thought you would be interested in the UK plate system.

Here, a vehicle is allocated a registration number when it is first purchased and used. The number, car and owner details are held in a central registry. From then on almost all vehicles retain the same number until they are scrapped. You can go into any vehicle spares counter and buy a plate made up with whatever numbers you want but when you fit it to a vehicle it *must* match the number allocated to that vehicle. Traffic police will routinely check your vehicle details against the central record to see if things match up.

In addition we have "tax discs" which are paper disks displaying the vehicle reg number and renewal date, they are renewed annually for a fee and are required to be displayed, normally attached to the front windscreen inside the vehicle, so they can be checked by police and other agents.

Just thought you might be interested in how we do it here...

nikki_t
10-13-2007, 12:28 PM
They steal the license plates off a car then steal a car right after that because the average person does not really look at their plates and dont report them for a while or get pulled over much later, giving the thief a large amount of time. I was in Law Enforcement and you would be surprised as to how many CDm Transexual there are in the Police Agencies. Joann

Well I figured it would be because they want to steal another car or something - like for a robbery perhaps. But I couldn't even tell you what my license number is and I've had my car for a year. :o

Just thought you would be interested in the UK plate system.

Here, a vehicle is allocated a registration number when it is first purchased and used. The number, car and owner details are held in a central registry. From then on almost all vehicles retain the same number until they are scrapped. You can go into any vehicle spares counter and buy a plate made up with whatever numbers you want but when you fit it to a vehicle it *must* match the number allocated to that vehicle. Traffic police will routinely check your vehicle details against the central record to see if things match up.

In addition we have "tax discs" which are paper disks displaying the vehicle reg number and renewal date, they are renewed annually for a fee and are required to be displayed, normally attached to the front windscreen inside the vehicle, so they can be checked by police and other agents.

Just thought you might be interested in how we do it here...

When I moved to the US I too was intrigued by the difference in the systems. I couldn't understand how you could get new license plates when you buy a 2nd hand car. Nor could I understand people driving around with no plates at all but a big paper sticker in the back window with a date penned in. I also couldn't understand how it was not possible to walk into a car accessory shop and buy your own plates made up on the spot on demand (I guess the prisoners have a monopoly on that here LOL).

I think the "registration" here is the equivalent of UK road tax and the "inspection" is the equivalent of the MOT test.

The biggest difference I have noticed is the cost of motoring is VASTLY cheaper in the US. From gas prices to road tax and MOT/inspections. Even the cost of tyres (tires LOL).

Oh one other thing... I remember private (vanity) plates costing fortunes in the UK (people would merrily fork out hundreds of thousands) yet here in Texas you can get any 6 digit/character vanity plate for about $50 a year providing it's not already taken or offensive.

Nikki

Michelle 51
10-13-2007, 12:36 PM

Well one thing that is popular now is filling up with gas and driving away with stolen plates plus i guess anything else you wanted to do illegal .I don't think they leave the stolen plates on their vehicle very long. just long enough to throw off police if the plate gets phoned in and then they steal another set.

trannie T
10-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Congratulations Jenn!

You are the only person in California who has ever enjoyed a trip to DMV.