PDA

View Full Version : watching what you say

Niya W
10-12-2007, 10:16 PM
today at work some tossed my and object and i caught it wrong, and I said damn I broke a nail. A male co worker said i've never heard a guy say that . He then gave me this weird look and walked away.

I really have to be careful for the time being. Its hard having to watch every little thing you say

Phyliss
10-13-2007, 04:30 AM
The old "slippery tongue" thing strikes again. :eek:

I've had this happen to me also, even knowing what I was saying I just couldn't stop myself. However, a big "over the top wink" and raising my limp wrist with pinkie extended and a super mincing walk, quickly turned the situation into a joke.

noname
10-13-2007, 04:50 AM
That guy is a weirdo, I've heard both guys and girls say that.

Ruth
10-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Anyone, M or F, can break a nail, and as far as I know it's always annoying when it happens, so your reaction was totally reasonable. It was his that was little over the top.
I think some guys have a kind of phobia about non-macho behaviour. They're desperate not to do it themselves and even get upset when somebody else does something slightly unmasculine. It's all about their insecurity.

Kate Simmons
10-13-2007, 05:20 AM
Before I retired and people would bring in desserts and things for everyone and invite me to have some, I would say with a serious expression:"No thanks, I have to watch my girlish figure." Usually dead silence, then delayed laughter. Hmmph--not nice to tempt a gal like that.:rolleyes:

Deborah Jane
10-13-2007, 05:22 AM
I,ve said that and the only comment i got was "yeah it bl**dy hurts when that happens mate"!!

Carla Maria
10-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Yes, it's never fun to break a nail. Male or female. Just love this site.

Mitch23
10-13-2007, 06:04 AM
we have lots of girlie banter like that, comparing nail varnish etc. then they've seen me dressed!

mitch

Rita B
10-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Sometimes it's not what you say but what you are wearing. As part of my bedtime ritual I love spraying the inside of my wrists with spray perfume. I happen to like the new "Celine Dion" spray which works for me. ( It makes me sleep better) Well anyways, if I don't shower right away when I get up, I can be sitting there having my coffee and I can still smell the fragrance. My daughter who lives next door and who is constantly coming over, commented on it and asked what I was wearing ( Women do have a far more sophisticated sense of smell than guys do). I just acted dumb and said that I couldn't smell anything. She should have come in sooner when I was still in my satin nightgown. . . .hehe

Rita B

PS My wife is out of town. Do you think she might be wondering if I am seeing another woman?????

Jocelyn Quivers
10-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone, M or F, can break a nail, and as far as I know it's always annoying when it happens, so your reaction was totally reasonable. It was his that was little over the top.
I think some guys have a kind of phobia about non-macho behaviour. They're desperate not to do it themselves and even get upset when somebody else does something slightly unmasculine. It's all about their insecurity.

I think lots of guys are that way. It's amazing the amount of grief I get from some of my guy friends about my nails.

Byllie
10-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Breaking nails is not a femme thing; everyone does it and it can hurt like heck.

On another note, I've been letting my nails grow out a tad. My wife's not so crazy about it, saying most guys keep them cut short. She's quite supportive, otherwise.

Anyway, I'm sitting at a meeting, last week, and happen to glance over at a colleagues hands. His nails were as long as mine. He's not a CD (I think I can tell) but his nails were a tad long.

Oh well.

Chari
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Maybe your co-worker was jealous of your nails.:heehee:

Chari

Niya W
10-13-2007, 10:33 AM
his nails are always perfectly manicured.

My issue is I feel like i should be me at all times and unapologetic for how i am, forgetting that society is not all ways so accepting. SO when the guys at work jokingly use homophobic remarks to emberras and or to get a rise out of me it goes in a whole nother direction and every tends to leave when they do it to me.

Like when they jokingly asked do i go to gay clubs, i said i've met lots of nice people at gay clubs. I've also have had fun when a guy says f off to me and and i say hun your not my type.

janet1234
10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
tend to grow long because I am lazy and don't cut as often as I should.

Veronica 1
10-13-2007, 10:41 AM
With my recent promotion from the yard to the parts desk I have had the opportunity to grow my nails longer. I recently broke one while picking some bolts out of the bin and made the same comment, Damn, broke a nail. The customer that I was serving said, don't you hate it when that happens. Sort of floored me to hear this coming from an older, straight-laced dutch farmer.

LynnInDenver
10-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Anyway, I'm sitting at a meeting, last week, and happen to glance over at a colleagues hands. His nails were as long as mine. He's not a CD (I think I can tell) but his nails were a tad long.

He might've been a guitarist too, some guitarists grow their nails out to pick the strings with.

One of my friends suggested I use that as an excuse if I'm asked about my nails. Thing is, I'd feel obligated to pick up the guitar then. :P

shauna 9
10-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Breaking nails is not a femme thing; everyone does it and it can hurt like heck

charllote34
10-13-2007, 05:34 PM
If its any comfort we have all been there sometimes i geta buzz about dropping a cd comment in to the conversation and watch the reations ha ha

docrobbysherry
10-13-2007, 06:56 PM
No one uses that terrible "b++++" word over here. We just say the more polite, "Gotdamit f++k"!
RS

I,ve said that and the only comment i got was "yeah it bl**dy hurts when that happens mate"!!

Jodi
10-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Sometimes it's not what you say but what you are wearing. As part of my bedtime ritual I love spraying the inside of my wrists with spray perfume. I happen to like the new "Celine Dion" spray which works for me. ( It makes me sleep better) Well anyways, if I don't shower right away when I get up, I can be sitting there having my coffee and I can still smell the fragrance. My daughter who lives next door and who is constantly coming over, commented on it and asked what I was wearing ( Women do have a far more sophisticated sense of smell than guys do). I just acted dumb and said that I couldn't smell anything. She should have come in sooner when I was still in my satin nightgown. . . .hehe

Rita B

PS My wife is out of town. Do you think she might be wondering if I am seeing another woman?????

Back in my younger smart-ass days, when a girl would ask "What do you have on that smells so good". My reply would be--"I have a hard on. I didn't think anyone could smell it".

Of course, you could never use that with your daughter.

Jodi

Billijo49504
10-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I take it you don't work in a factory, where many ppl break nails. Now if you said you broke one of your nail extentions, that might get a questioning look...BJ

Sharon B.
10-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Like when they jokingly asked do i go to gay clubs

I would have to say; Why are you asking me for a date or I don't know do you go to them?

I know I'm a smart a**.

traceyanne
10-14-2007, 09:26 AM
i use comments like that daily in my workplace, most recent was i went to the health and safety people and asked if could be excused from wearing safety boots because they were ruining my nail polish and ripping my tights.
im forever talking about my cdressing telling them what i wear, what ive just bought etc.the majority of them think im winding them up and dont know how to take me, but there are some who i think beleive me.

Niya W
10-14-2007, 11:30 AM
no I dont work in a factory. I'm more of the type to say what you are having a hard time finding the local gay clubs .

I have another friend that works for DOC and when the issue of TG's comes up she has to watch how much she knows about the isssue comes out of her mouth.

vivianann
10-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Back in my younger smart-ass days, when a girl would ask "What do you have on that smells so good". My reply would be--"I have a hard on. I didn't think anyone could smell it".

Of course, you could never use that with your daughter.

Jodi

:rofl::rofl:I cant stop laughing, that is soooo funny

Scotty
10-14-2007, 06:33 PM
What Tristen says!

I've said it and nobody gave me any grief - people have read me though, at work, at home - female freinds "know" so I guess it wouldn't matter if I said that to a girl...

Are they insightful or what? :)

Joy Carter
10-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Before I retired and people would bring in desserts and things for everyone and invite me to have some, I would say with a serious expression:"No thanks, I have to watch my girlish figure." Usually dead silence, then delayed laughter. Hmmph--not nice to tempt a gal like that.:rolleyes:

Salanda my dad said that at all the family gatherings, when we sat down to eat. And he was no CD.............At least I don't think he was. :o