PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Advice on Crossdressing

cd_britney_426
11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
For those who don't remember me too well, I am still pretty new to crossdressing and probably approach it from a different angle than most people here. I decided to try it as I have several TG friends and found that I really liked it so I did it again 7 more times (I'm actually counting :)). However, those eight times I crossdressed, I did so with their help to a lesser degree each time. They gave me two wigs, a couple of dresses, a pair of shoes, and one pair of panties. I also bought one bra, one pair of shoes, some makeup, and an additional dress while out with a TG friend. The wigs in my opinion are in poor condition and the other hand-me-downs are in fair condition at best. I don't even like the dress I bought anymore so pretty much the only good thing I have is the pair of shoes.

Long story short, I haven't dressed for a few months now as I really haven't had the time or money to really go all the way. I believe, however, that if you want to do something you like you need to do it the right way. As strange as it sounds, I don't really want to start going out dressed again until I have a sufficient wardrobe. Just as I can't go to work wearing the same shirt and pair of jeans each day, I can't go out to a club or elsewhere wearing the same dress each time.

The purpose of my post here is to gather some more ideas from people here. I haven't really had the opportunity to develop my own fashion sense as I am new to this. At this point I really need to go solo without the help of my TG friends because they have their own fashion sense which is different from mine so it really doesn't help me to go shopping with them. I have an idea what I like for fashion but have not fully implemented it. Something interesting I have found is that there is a shop nearby that actually caters to crossdressers and drag queens. I am leaning on this to start out but figured I'd ask for advice. As stupid as it sounds, I don't really know how women's sizes compare to men's when it comes to clothing and when I buy more bras I would need to know what the proper size should be. I guess my real issue is I dabbled into this and found I really enjoyed it but am stuck on how to really get started on my own.

If anyone has any thoughts, please share them. I hope I am not being too vague here despite this long and drawn out description. Britney

CD_DIANE
11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Britney,

The first suggestion I would have is to go online to a site like JC Penney. They have size charts for men and women, so get a tape measure and go from there. Can you give some general info as to height, weight,...? I know that for me, I'm built like a fire plug ! so go from there. I can go into specifics but what you need to know is that with women, there is a ratio of waist to hips rather than both being the same number. An example is that in a half slip or elastic waist skirt, I can wear a medium, since the cloth has to expand to clear the woman's hips.

Diane

Second thought,

Buy some things from a thrift store. You can get an idea of size from that. If they dont fit/complement you, there is a minimal loss. If you belong to any kind of group locally, maybe try trading things around. Also, material like cotton shrinks when washed so a skirt that calls itself a 16, may in fact be a 14 after washing.

On the other side of the coin, some places are now labeling the clothes with a smaller number to make the girls think they can still fit into the smaller size.

Diane

DeeJayGray001
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I shop mostly at Suddenly Fem. I just love all the dresses. A good thing to do for support, is find a group in your area. I did and went to the meeting. I was welcomed and it was my first time dressed in a pubic place. Had so much fun.

MJ
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
thrift store's are the best you can find anything in there. just don't be shy

cd_britney_426
11-13-2008, 02:12 AM
I appreciate everyone's advice here. I think I will check out that specialty shop. I am sure they are a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. If the place gives a lot of personal attention, then they probably could fix me up with the right sizes and from that point forward I would know what to get in the future. I'll let you all know what I come across when I go there. Britney

DonnaT
11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
The internet is fine if you know your sizes AND you trust the sizings listed on the web site. There are a number of companie/manufacturers that size things to seem smaller than they really are.

Otherwise, it's best to shop in person. Start at a CD friendly store. Call ahead and ask if they will let you try on clothes.

If you can't find one, shop at a department or thrift store with both mens and womens clothes, Get what you want to try on in the womens section and go to the mens dressing room and try it on. Most of the places I shop do not have an attendant watching the dressing rooms.

Too scared to try on, then there is the "string method" of shopping.

Take a long string, mark off the various body measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, etc.) using different color markers (red for waist, blue for chest, etc.) And use the string to measure the garment to see if it will fit. Guaranteed to work.

DeeDeeB
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
You have good advice on sizing. I browse women's clothing catalogs and web sites to get ideas on putting together outfits. I love looking at the clothes (and the gorgeous models) and it gives me a sense of what is in style, and what different pieces look good together. Then I go out to shop for a look. I always shop the bargain racks as long as the clothes are still returnable and not final sale. I've tried shopping online and find it can get really expensive if you need to return stuff that doesn't fit.

Dee :fairy1:

deja true
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
You haven't given us an inkling of what kinda style you like though, otherwise we might be able to steer you to a few retailers, both store front and eBay.

In my experience, stores that cater specifically to us tend to sell stuff that's a might flashy for everyday wear, but fine for clubbing. But it'd be a good comfortable place to try stuff on to figure out sizing maybe.

To do anything well though, you need to do your research....and some of the best, especially for trying to figure out a style for yourself, will be the women's fashion magazines. Don't start with Vogue, for gosh sakes, the prices of the beautiful stuff in there will only discourage you. Harper's and Vanity Fair are marvelous,too, but also showcases for the really expensive stuff. But look for magazines that fit into the age group that you'd like to emulate and feature affordable, but currently stylish things. In Style and Elle are great for mid-twenties through forties working ladies and city girls. Teen Vogue and Glamour maybe for younger girls, through college age. There are lots and lots of them on the big newstands. In all these mags you'll also find adverts for hundreds of companies, from designer to down home and you can get your mailbox filled with hundreds of catalogs to pour over, too. Just call in for one catalog and the junk mail gremlins will pass your adress along to dozens more companies, too.

Also important is to pay attention to what your local girls and women are wearing. Haunt the malls (the classier malls) on the weekends and see what ladies you admire are wearing. There are regional styles, as well, and a NYC style girl would stand out pretty much in Arizona!

Good luck with all that, Britney. You're starting a great adventure that's a lot of fun!

Keep us updated...we're here to help!

:D

cd_britney_426
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi, I did check out the TG shop and picked out a top and skirt but it is true that most of what they had was quite flashy but I found something good for the purposes of clubbing. I also bought a nice wig but I got a little annoyed at how the hair kept getting in my face! I guess that is part of being a woman so I have to get used to it! I never did anything with my nails, wore no jewelery, and used a minimum amount of makeup. I felt it was a good start considering that it has been a long time since I've done this. I had a fun night although I probably spent more time getting ready than the time spent out having fun. Again, part of being a woman I guess. :) Unfortunately, I usually get a few critical remarks about the way I look by some of the other clubgoers and usually by the other girls. I don't really worry about that because a) I get more compliments than criticisms by far and b) if their opinions are negative and I'm not even asking for their opinions, then it means I am competition and they are jealous! Thanks for your advice everyone. Britney

marny
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
britny 426. your full of it!...........rhymes hon!