PDA

View Full Version : "No Practical Application"

jina
11-13-2008, 01:58 AM
I have been meaning to post this as a thread for a while now. I participated in the "Silly" thread, and just got done reading through "Can a person OD on cross dressing ?" thread. Those two threads are related in their topics.

Now, this thread spins off of those:

Ya see, even back in my history when I wasn't completely honest with myself about my fem feelings, I had a specific phrase rattling around in my head all of those years: "No Practical Application". I guess I have always thought that "my thing" had no practical application, and therefore shouldn't be allowed to interfere with having a "normal" life. Well now that I've had all of my children and have had a career,.. *it* seems to be insisting on a bit of recognition now. Still, what is the practical application of these feelings / urges ? (rhetorical question).

My wife argues that the practical application is that I am absolutely wonderful with children (if I do say so myself )... and an empathetic listener and friend. She doesn't like to hear me use this phrase because she thinks I am insulting / discounting myself. But that doesn't speak to how much I enjoy fem "things" that don't really work in the context of the rest of my life (IE: makeup, clothes).

Some suggest,... just have fun and enjoy the ride. That I do for sure,.. but sometimes it's more serious / urgent than that. Then other times it is more or less dormant (then in that case to quote Andy Partridge of XTC) Icarus regrets, and retires puzzled.

Maybe we're all fated to be the dog in the song by Heart "Dog and Butterfly". Jumping to the sky but only momentarily having these flights of fancy... then, being tired.. deciding that being the dog is OK too.

There are religious writings that refer to individual enlightenment as being neither male or female (or in others, "both" male and female). Maybe we will finally make sense to ourselves when we reach a higher plane / spiritual level. Or maybe we are just genetic mutations with "no practical application".

Sammy777
11-13-2008, 02:53 AM
If you immediately know the candlelight is fire,
the meal was prepared a long time ago.

Kate Simmons
11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Actually it does have a practical application Jina. Mostly in relation to getting in touch with ourselves and our feelings and balancing them. It means a lot in the overall scheme of things. While we sometimes tend to overdo or overthink it, it is much simpler than that. Like yourself I realize there is much more to it than simply putting on a dress, wig and make up and waltzing around. In the long run, it not only makes us a better person but we have more insights than most and really getting in touch with ourselves and the energies is the key. Once we do that we finally understand.:)

battybattybats
11-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Or maybe we are just genetic mutations with "no practical application".

Actually 'Kin Selection' explains where a genetic cause of transexuals and homosexuals could be beneficial and prosper and Cds might just be one of the many varients of such.

Also the Giant Cuttlefish includes large aggressive males that patrol harems of females and fight over them but there are also smaller weaker males that by cross-dressing by changeing their apperance and behaviour to pass as female get past the aggressive males and are very successful inside the harmems!

Some suggest,... just have fun and enjoy the ride. That I do for sure,.. but sometimes it's more serious / urgent than that. Then other times it is more or less dormant (then in that case to quote Andy Partridge of XTC) Icarus regrets, and retires puzzled.

Maybe we're all fated to be the dog in the song by Heart "Dog and Butterfly". Jumping to the sky but only momentarily having these flights of fancy... then, being tired.. deciding that being the dog is OK too.

I'll see your XTC lyrics quote and raise you some lyrics from Shriekback featuring former XTC member Barry Andrews!

Lyrics to Hand On My Heart :
And you can say well
And you can pray yeah

What about those days we break up the alphabet
Some itch and ripple bones beneath the flesh
No hesitation keeping the theory in trim
What about that stuff that keeps on pouring in
I wouldn't cry no pleasure in doing it but
There are those days the luxury ain't too much
I wouldn't bother if it was all in the mind
It's in the body; the body still knows best

And you can say well there goes a lucky guy
Amd you can say well there goes the neighbourhood
And you can say well there goes a bob or two
And you can pray that it would or wouldn't happen to you
And all of this is not imagination
It's just me putting my hand on my heart
And all of this is not in explanation

What about those days we make up a secret pact
To splash and paddle into the dark and back
No hesitation never a shadow of doubt
What about that stuff you keep on shouting out
Oh I could try to weigh it up and measure it but
Most of the time the effort is just too much
I wouldn't bother if it was all in the mind
It's in the body; the body still knows best

And you can say well there goes a lucky guy
Amd you can say well there goes the neighbourhood
And you can say well there goes a bob or two
And you can pray that it would or wouldn't happen to you
And all of this is not imagination
And all of this is not in explanation

Angie G
11-13-2008, 10:01 AM
All I know is it not have a practical application to my life It's a part of my I love applying I do think the practical application for me is how it macks feel. The feeling oy joy and a realxed feeling.:hugs:
Angie

GG Pearls
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Jina, Although the road has been bumpy and sometimes downright scary, you as a WHOLE person have a practical application in my life...not to mention our wonderful and sometimes maddening children (teenagers...argh!) ... As we grow and change in the process of you Coming Out, I see how very practical to your happiness the Jina side of you is. All I really want is for you to be happy. Love,

Sara Jessica
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Human nature is often about looking back and saying could have, should have, would have. As we accept ourselves and truly understand our own nature, then maybe we can look back without regrets. But the Heart song is so perfect, our tg flights of fancy are breathtaking, if only it wasn't so hard to come to the conclusion that being the "dog" is ok too!

I'll see your XTC lyrics quote and raise you some lyrics from Shriekback featuring former XTC member Barry Andrews!

I'll have to call your Shriekback, a great song from one of my fav albums of all time!!!

Jina, Although the road has been bumpy and sometimes downright scary, you as a WHOLE person have a practical application in my life...not to mention our wonderful and sometimes maddening children (teenagers...argh!) ... As we grow and change in the process of you Coming Out, I see how very practical to your happiness the Jina side of you is. All I really want is for you to be happy. Love,

I seriously teared up when I read this a couple days ago and it still moves me now that I've come in to reply on this post. Such a sweet thing you have said. :)

Kate Simmons
01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
CDing is like playing video games in a way. We can excel at it but it has no "practical application" or "marketable value" per se. So why do we bother at all? Perhaps the "practical application" is being in touch with the overall feelings and although we cannot really know what being a woman feels like, we can receive feelings and impressions from the feedback received, expecially if we present en femme. While this is not quite the feeling a Goa'uld from Stargate would feel by entering a female body, it's sometimes a close second.:)

Shari
01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
So much like me.
Methinks you think too much and over analyze way too often instead of just simply accepting some things, and ultimately to just simply enjoy them for what they are.

When I get to that point and can't logically justify something in my tiny cranium, I revert back to my favorite phrase where I place all the chaos and unanswerable questions.

It's just the natural order of things.

JoAnne Wheeler
01-08-2009, 01:00 PM
But WHY do our feelings and urges have to have a practical application ????

What if it is our relief valve for competing hormones ?

What if it is just there to allow a few chose people to experience two genders ?

JoAnne Wheeler

beenherelongtime
01-08-2009, 01:01 PM
can't think these deep thoughts. i just enjoyed it as i went along