PDA

View Full Version : Economic stress and crossdressing!

emmicd
11-13-2008, 06:25 AM
I am distressed as a result of the ongoing economic crisis and I feel overwhelmed at times with the constant news of financial collapse and uncertainty with the major companies. I have always worked hard and I never seen my lifesavings evaporate so fast and literally disappear in a matter of months. If things continue I will have no savings. This is really angering me!

I have been so stressed that I have been dressing more than I ever have. I just have to escape all this doom and gloom. I can't see things getting any better for a long time.

How are others dealing with these uncertainties and very difficult economic times? I am literally a paycheck away from losing my home. This is so scary!

I just have to put on a dress to melt this stress and make me feel a little better.

The reality though is we are going through a very difficult and trying period and I pray for all who have lost their job and facing possibly losing their home. I am praying that things will get better. I have a son who I hope will have opportunities and a fulfilling life. I don't want him having to worry about a deficit. His college savings has already taken a hit with the stock market faltering.

Hopefully things will turn around but I'm not sure how long we have to wait. I will be wearing my dresses a lot more just to escape this craziness.

Are you dressing more because of this economic crisis?

emmi

Ronni Seymour
11-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Emmi,
I can relate, and yes, I have found that dressing helps me to find an escape from the anxiety. I am there with you on all that you said. I hope your situation (and all the others here) doesn't get any worse.:hugs:

Jonianne
11-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Emmi, yes the stress is great. I do believe things are comming to a head, one way or another. I don't spend any additional time dressing, but I sure spend a lot of time on this forum with all my friends - so glad I found this place!

Karren H
11-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Nope.... My dressing doesn't trend inversly with the Dow Jones!! Though...... if a lot of your does then we bight be able to capture that data and plot it and when the dressing index falls off then its a sign that the economy if going to pick up??? That or it's summer and no one wants to or can't!! ohh welll....

Phyliss
11-13-2008, 07:36 AM
I suppose I'll get "beat up" and called all sorts of "capitalist" names but, I look at it this way:

It's only money, it's not like it had a home or anything like that.

I'd never "planned" on retiring, figure I'll work until I drop in my tracks.

Health concerns have already been taken care of, I own my own house. Financial worries don't worry me.

So,.... we go back to the "clam shell" standard, because all "paper" money isn't worth the paper it's printed on. There will always be somebody willing to give something of value for a product or service.

Jennifer Cox
11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm also going to be lucky if I've still got a job past the end of this year, as I'm a contract worker in the Automotive industry. :sad: Fortunately, I'm able to pay off our remaining mortgage (unless the tax man cometh!), so I don't have that worry.

I'm not able to get any stress relief from dressing, since currently I don't have any opportunity. :sad: My current plan is to blow what spare cash I've got left on new dresses, lingerie etc, so that when I am out of work, I'll have lots of nice things to wear whilst I've got the house to myself. :D DAMN almost forgot my daughter still lives at home :sad: - still she does go to Uni some days! :)

DeSkirt
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I have definately felt the stress and have been dresssing more (or trying to) as an escape. I have lost all of my savings and my company this past year. I am unemployed and trying to find a job. It's hard. Because I have been home alone while my wife is at work and the kids are at colllege I have been able to dress some. If my wife accepted my dressing more it would help, but she doesn't so I do what I can when I can.

I am very concered about the economic state of our country and my state (Michigan) and I hope we can get back to a better time.

Lisa Golightly
11-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Being self-employed it's always been economic life in the trenches.

Nicole Erin
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Phyllis, I say good response. :) Always be someone wanting to trade product and service.

Now about the finances, well my wife and I have never really had much money anyways and we don't really have a lot to lose. Our hosehold junk amounts to diddly.

I have been dressing more lately, but not cause of financial stress.

I imagine the reason some people do dress is cause it helps relieve stress. When we are stressed, we turn to our hobbies or habits, whatever makes us happy.

Oh and folks, don't feel bad if you are pinching pennies like never before, cause the economy, this is one of those things you CAN blame circumstance when things are going bad. What goes around comes around, so as hard times are going around...

KateSpade83
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Against the advice of my crappy financial advisor, I converted [in March?] 4 of 6 mutual funds in my IRA to money market whatever..., so my $28,000 IRA is only down to $24,000.

After losing my gravy NASA job, I'm mostly shopping thrift, and doing Salvation Army only on the 50% off Wednesdays!

I also had to skip a nice $356 3pc St John set on ebay!

Alice B
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm in a position to not have to worry, but I' sure there will be a lot of great deals on clothing, shoes and other items in the near future. I'll just have to take advantage of them.

Barbaraheels
11-13-2008, 07:08 PM
I've felt the pinch myself. I keep meaning to purchase some new clothes for the fall and I keep talking myself out of it because I don't want to go in more credit card debt. Oh well, I think I will eventually take the hit and have some fun! Its almost winter anyway.

docrobbysherry
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm starting to see debutants and college coeds down at my Goodwill! They r going to grab all the hot stuff before I even see it!:sad:

Recessions SUCK!:Angry3:

Lori SC
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Emmi,

Usually my CDing goes up when I'm not stressed, and have liesure time. Lately I've been very busy, and haven't CDed at home for months.

My wife and I are fortunate. We are not worried about our jobs. Yes our 410K took a beating (but not as bad as some, since we converted a lot to money market before the crash). And we aren't going to retire for 10 years, so the market has time to recover. And I probably have one of the last company pensions in America.

If anything, this has taught me a lesson. They always say people needing 401K money should have a lot in bonds, not stocks. This crash made me realize how true that is.
Bonds went down, but not as much as stocks.

I hope things get better for you Emmi.

Hugz, Lori