PDA

View Full Version : Questioned about gender while shopping online.

Celeste
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone,Was shopping online today,found two great tops and a pencil skirt I really liked at Victoria's secret website.While checking out I noticed a gender check box at the bottom I hadn't seen before,male,female,prefer not to say.

Well,the more I thought about it the more curious I became.What do you think they do with the obtained info?Why have I not seen any gender check boxes on other sites.Should it make a difference.Don't you think they should "lay off"the gender inquiry and just take your money. So what do you think?

kathtx
11-14-2008, 10:42 AM
They're probably just collecting information about customer demographics so they can improve their ad targeting. You know: "shoppers who bought this Victoria's Secret pencil skirt might also like this DeWalt planer!!"

If surveys like that bother you, answer with random information.

DeeDeeB
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
I think they usually ask that kind of question to help marketing. Should they get more aggressive towards the CD community? I would have no problem answering that honestly, because it could help open up our market. Besides, they didn't ask if the purchase was for you or was a gift did they?

Dee :fairy1:

LindaTS
11-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Like the others who said this, I think it's targeting information. In the past I read somewhere that Frederick's of Hollywood said that fully 40% of their business was from males. That really surprised me. However, I'm sure a lot of these males were shopping for their SO's. But then again, you never know.

Janet Bern
11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Celeste
I sure hope you checked off the male box so that the marketing group would understand what a large bank of customers they have in the CD world. That is a great opportunity to have us more accepted by Female marketing vendors. I would think places like Macys and other chains have already enlightened their SA's to the fact that men wear and buy womans clothes.
I have been treated wonderfully by the SAs in every shop I was in whether enfemme or in drab. Lets keep checking the man box when asked.
Janet

Terrihoney
11-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Of course it's all about demographics, next they'll ask if the item was for your self or a gift. No one ever thought a thing about my mother buying boys underwear. I've not been bothered buying femine things for a wife or GF.
If VS or other catalog stores knew how my males were buying for themselves, they would stock larger sizes.
Yes, tell them who you are, it'll make shopping easier you everyone else!

Hugs, Terri

lauraabdl
11-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Of course it's all about demographics, next they'll ask if the item was for your self or a gift. No one ever thought a thing about my mother buying boys underwear. I've not been bothered buying femine things for a wife or GF.
If VS or other catalog stores knew how my males were buying for themselves, they would stock larger sizes.
Yes, tell them who you are, it'll make shopping easier you everyone else!

Hugs, Terri

You tell them Terri. You know if they know they will be more likely to get larger sizes if they know they can sell them in a specfic area.
Laura

Sally2005
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
How about email them and ask? They should have, are you buying it for yourself? and gender. This way they could market to CDers too!

ann stef
11-14-2008, 02:25 PM
sounds like a marketing ploy. If you check male, they can steer more expensive clothes to non-suspecting males who are shopping for their ladies.

il.dso
11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I also think it's about demographics and marketing.
I always check "male," and also hope that in a small way
someone actually reads these reviews and becomes more sensitive
and interested in crossdressing.

sterling12
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
And I imagine that it was all voluntary information. If you had to fill in a preference, and it was a requirement before you could go to The Check Out, If you were uncomfortable with it; I would have just checked off on "prefer not to say." Of course, they probably take all The "Prefer Not to Says," and just assume that they are all of us TG Folks.

Golly, damned if you do, damned if you don't! Your now on the mailing list.....for sure!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Raya
11-14-2008, 03:44 PM
At that point, you've already given them your credit card info and address. What real point is there in hiding your sex?

You've got nothing to lose. By letting these shops know that men buy things there (for whatever reason), you can help influence these businesses to start making their stores more comfortable and less intimidating for men.

I'll go one further: I think you should specifically tell them you're a cross-dresser whenever you get the opportunity. I've told quite a few online shops that I learned of them from this forum.

SexyLatexSamantha
11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
I think they just want to know who is buying their product. Not weather the purchaser is buying it for someone or wearing it themselves. They just want to know who is purchasing their product. It is nothing against crossdressers.

suzy cool
11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
They're probably just collecting information about customer demographics so they can improve their ad targeting. You know: "shoppers who bought this Victoria's Secret pencil skirt might also like this DeWalt planer!!"

If surveys like that bother you, answer with random information.

That was really funny.:D

"Customers who bought the red satin teddy also bought....Harley Fatboy G-string....hold up stockings.....Black and Decker Power Drill."