PDA

View Full Version : The weather, what to wear and blending in

Sara Jessica
11-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi girls!

I have a bit of a dileama which hasn't been an issue with me before. A little background...

This last spring/summer has been the season of casual for me. I've espoused the virtues of bare legs and cami tops for the first time and have had an absolute blast in my efforts to blend in with all the other muggle girls out there. Well now fall is upon us and I've totally gotten my head around dressing it up a bit with the cooler weather and all that. The problem is...IT'S FAR FROM COOL HERE IN GOOD OLE SOCAL!!!

OK, deep breath...yes it seems we're in the midst of a November heatwave. Perhaps not as hot as originally forecast and even cooler in my San Diego destination but here's where you all can help. I can't decide what to wear for the life of me. Do I stay the course and go with some sort of casual look (ie-leggings and a top, jeans, whatever) or break out a dress and say to heck with blending. I'll be hitting an outdoor mall so consider that in your kind responses.

Brina Halloween
11-14-2008, 09:56 PM
If your afraid of muggles....borrow an invisibility cape.

It is "winter" for them. A true native will get cold in weather that would cause a northerner to buy a bikini.

Brina

Sara Jessica
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
That didn't take long, and you didn't even vote! (I had to vote in my own poll to see the results...bear with me, this is my first poll post.)

I have no fear of the muggles. And I'm a realist...it might be freakin hot tomorrow!

Shannen
11-14-2008, 11:29 PM
sorry to say I didn't vote either... it wasn't multiple choice! :heehee:

Isn't that the point of dressing the way YOU want? I wouldn't walk around an outdoor mall sweating in nylons if I didn't want to!

You'll be femme either way, right? :D

Have fun shopping!

:hugs:

renee k
11-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi Sara,

You gotta dress for the weather, but shake things up a bit and break out a dress and show off those bare legs!

Huggs, Renee

Miss Tessa
11-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Dress for the weather like other ppl of the gender you are trying to pass as dress.

In the cold weather in FL I wear a long sleeve top, with either a women's black zip up hooded sweater, or I wear long sleeved top and a cute heavier woman's jacket with faux fur around the hoodie.

I sometimes wear woman's gloves or fishnet gloves to keep my hands warm.

And FL is never cold enough for long johns but nylons are OK under the jeans.

Karren H
11-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Go for the dress and the nylons!!!! Who want's to blend in any way?? lol

carolinebrookes
11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
:iagree:

What she said!

Here in tropical old Scotland, we tend to dress like the Michelin Man most of the year anyway, so breaking out sounds like a good idea no matter where you are. Like Karren said...who want's to blend in, especially at this time of year with party season almost upon us!

Shelly Preston
11-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Depending on the weather you may want to have an umberella as an accessory

Well in Scotland you would

carolinebrookes
11-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Never without that all important accessory! :D

Audrey34
11-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Sara!
My suggestion would be to go casual. A nice top with jeans or capri pants maybe sneakers or flats. Or maybe a casual type dress with nylons, flats or sneakers.
-Audrey

AliciaWeb
11-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Sara! Whatever you decide if it's shopping and you want to blend then it has to be casual in general. Top it off with a flashy scarf or other accessories.

Carolline and Shelly should know about cold, (is there still weather in Scotland, not just wind and rain? ), last time I was there I thought my wig had blown off until I relised I wasn't wearing one and it took me three weeks to thaw out in the sunny south.

Hugs

Alicia

Paul[a]
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
SoCal?

My vote would be a Denim Mini, Good Tan or Self-Tanner, Cute Tank Top, and Hoodie, plus Sandals or even Flip-Flops, if you can pull it off - PLEASE try for 'Age-Appropriate', although I see lots of 40+ GG's (I think?) trying that look - Some, but not all, successfully!
Stay 'Light'/Casual on the makeup, please - Think it/Feel it and you WILL be it! :love:

If you don't think you're able to pull off a 'Mini'-look, go with a short-ish dress or skirt (maybe a couple of inches above the knees) and VERY Sheer hose, that are a CLOSE match to your natural skin-tone. I've always been partial to Pretty Polly 'Naturals' myself (about 8 denier, look nice, not too 'obvious', feel GREAT on my legs, NOT too hot, and last but not least, NOT too expensive! - Everybody has to 'Be Themselves' - Be a Trendsetter!

..or leggings - Whatever makes YOU comfortable! Don't worry, be happy - a lot of younger kids are a LOT more accepting of 'differences', from my experiences - Nothing like (honest & helpful) fashion advice from teen-aged girls! :hugs: They're like "Whatever! You should try [suggestions]! It would look GREAT on you!" ...and they're being serious, plus their suggestions are (usually) Great! (although the 'Bubble-Gum Pink' lip gloss wasn't really 'Me'! :o)

...wouldn't it be wonderful if mini's (skirts and/or dresses) with hose came back for GG's? :heehee:

What? A girl can't Dream? :daydreaming: :giggle:

sterling12
11-16-2008, 03:18 AM
The way things are going around that area of SOCAL right now, the appropriate dress might be your yellow bunker gear! Nylons are never appropriate at a forest fire!

Yes, I know! T'aint funny if your someone who just lost your home, but we can't do anything about that. So, we respond with humor. Believe me, I do feel very sorry for all of those folks.

However this catastrophe might actually point us in the right direction. Wear what the heck you feel like wearing! In light of what is happening to those people around Santa Barbara, is it really a very important issue?

Peace and Love, Joanie

Fab Karen
11-16-2008, 05:55 AM
;1498769']SoCal?

My vote would be a Denim Mini, Good Tan or Self-Tanner, Cute Tank Top, and Hoodie, plus Sandals or even Flip-Flops, if you can pull it off -

UGH- flip-flops are what the kids scrape along in ( they never lift their feet), some of them even when it gets down to 40f nights. Grown-ups should have some fashion sense.

btw, they're not ubiquitous, but you do see some GG's out & about in a dress, so wear what you feel like ( just as long as it isn't beige ).

Sara Jessica
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
The way things are going around that area of SOCAL right now, the appropriate dress might be your yellow bunker gear! Nylons are never appropriate at a forest fire!

Yes, I know! T'aint funny if your someone who just lost your home, but we can't do anything about that. So, we respond with humor. Believe me, I do feel very sorry for all of those folks.

However this catastrophe might actually point us in the right direction. Wear what the heck you feel like wearing! In light of what is happening to those people around Santa Barbara, is it really a very important issue?

Peace and Love, Joanie

You have no idea how appropriate your comment was.

I was nearly at my destination (or at least to the place down south where I change into girl mode) and having kept tabs on the fires on the radio, I discovered that things were going up in flames merely a few miles from my home. There was no sign of anything to worry about when I left home. I therefore did the right thing in turning around and driving back to be with my family and prepare for possible evacuation (which fortunately we didn't have to do but many were not so lucky). All we can do is hope and pray for those who are truly suffering due to these devestating fires.

But for the record, I was pretty much undecided as far as the outfit went so I had at least a half-dozen possibilities with me. It was going to be a game-time decision, so to speak. So thank you for votes and nice comments. Doing this thread & poll was a total whim and it was kind of fun. So in turn, I'll respond to a few of the comments, keeping in mind that we need to keep our heads out of the pink fog and grounded in reality regardless of whether potential tragedy is bearing down on us. Life is a blessing never to be taken for granted.

Isn't that the point of dressing the way YOU want? I wouldn't walk around an outdoor mall sweating in nylons if I didn't want to!

And I rarely want to. I think that's part of the reason I went into this outing so undecided, because I really wanted to dress it up a bit because we should have had a bit of a season change by now.

Hi Sara,

You gotta dress for the weather, but shake things up a bit and break out a dress and show off those bare legs!

Huggs, Renee

I might have done just that!!!

Go for the dress and the nylons!!!! Who want's to blend in any way?? lol

I do!!! 90% of the time I go for the blending thing. But trust me, this girl can dress up a casual look with the best of 'em if she wants!

Depending on the weather you may want to have an umberella as an accessory. Well in Scotland you would

Even in the rainy season here it rarely rains so an umbrella is not even part of my vocabulary.

Hi Sara! Whatever you decide if it's shopping and you want to blend then it has to be casual in general. Top it off with a flashy scarf or other accessories.

I agree with you 100%. And like I mentioned before, my casual looks still have sufficient flash. Accessories help a lot. I sometimes pick out an outfit to match the jewelry I want to wear, how sad is that?

;1498769']SoCal?

My vote would be a Denim Mini, Good Tan or Self-Tanner, Cute Tank Top, and Hoodie, plus Sandals or even Flip-Flops, if you can pull it off - PLEASE try for 'Age-Appropriate', although I see lots of 40+ GG's (I think?) trying that look - Some, but not all, successfully!
Stay 'Light'/Casual on the makeup, please - Think it/Feel it and you WILL be it! :love:

If you don't think you're able to pull off a 'Mini'-look, go with a short-ish dress or skirt (maybe a couple of inches above the knees) and VERY Sheer hose, that are a CLOSE match to your natural skin-tone...Everybody has to 'Be Themselves' - Be a Trendsetter!..or leggings - Whatever makes YOU comfortable!

Hmmm, lots of points here to talk about...

Yes, I know all about being age appropriate. Mini's are out under any circumstance for women in their early-40's, except perhaps on Rodeo drive where the gals are showing off following their four hour per day workouts. And ESPECIALLY mini's with hose. You just don't see that around here.

Light casual makeup? Yes, I have that pretty much wired already.

I agree about doing what makes me feel comfortable. This wasn't a poll about helping a first-timer to decide on the right outfit. I've been around that block many times already. Instead, it was more of a lament about my being indecisive due to the fact our seasons have failed to change. But thank you for your comments.

UGH- flip-flops are what the kids scrape along in ( they never lift their feet), some of them even when it gets down to 40f nights. Grown-ups should have some fashion sense.

Reminds me of being out with a couple tg friends in the summer of 2007 and one of the girls was looking at some flip flops at Macy's. I pretty much told her then you'd never see me in those. Fast forward to this past spring when I found myself a fancier pair of flip flops that I just had to have.

Thanks again everyone and remember to keep things in perpective!!! :)