PDA

View Full Version : Touching interaction between a CDer and a 6 year old

Michelia
11-16-2008, 01:28 AM
I stopped at a Cato store for lunch. I had a blouse on that was definitely pretty femme. I also had tight girl jeans that were not so clearly femme, flip flops and painted toes. Other than that I was a guy.

There were not too many people in the store and as I was browsing I heard a little girl talking to her mother behind me working the clothes on another fixture. I am not comfortable around kids like this but I did not move. I figured that the way I had my back to them she would not notice me. I just listened. This little girl was something else. She was so smart and talkative. She kept on and on telling her mother she needed to be more girly. She told her she did not like all those frumpy clothes she wore and how she would look so good in this or that. Her mother kept tellling her to be quiet and how she did not like skirts or girly things. Then I heard her tell her mom that this guy in front of them had painted toenails. Her mom could not see from where she was but just told her again to keep quiet.

So I turned to the little girl and asked her if she liked my toes. She said they were beautiful and then told me I was a girl. Then she said she wished her mom would paint her toes like me. Half of me was about to crack up but the other half wanted to get out of there like I hope this woman does not explode or something.

Since I cannot take three pages to get all the details in here I will get more to the point. This little girl and yours truly ended up talking like for 15 minutes. She asked me all kinds of questions and I answered truthfully. She told me all kinds of things about school and how smart she is and how she loves to sing and dance. She even sang a little song. She said her favorite thing in the world was to go shopping.

I turned to her mom and asked her if it was OK if I gave her daughter some money to buy some clothes. She gave me this "I can't believe this" look but she acceeded. She dragged her mom to the girl end of the store and made me promise not to leave yet. She picked out some really lovely clothes and then went to the fitting room so I could see them on her. She came out dancing and ran up to me and hugged me. She then asked if I would buy her a necklace. I found a perfect one to match her outfit so I could not resist.

Boy was that little girl happy. She did not want me to leave but well I had to go back to work. I made her promise me that when she saw her Daddy that night and showed him all her new clothes that she would kiss him and tell him how much she loved him. In the end, her mom who had been pretty stiff at the beginning had softened up and was very grateful and happy too.

But no one was happier than this CD. It made my day.

Rachel M
11-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Wow, great job. It sounds to me the mom might have been put off by you initially. Its great of you to stand your ground and open up the the charm of the little one. I'm sure you educated that mom by your actions they we are normal people with feelings and emotions.
Rachel

Michelia
11-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, great job. It sounds to me the mom might have been put off by you initially. Its great of you to stand your ground and open up the the charm of the little one. I'm sure you educated that mom by your actions they we are normal people with feelings and emotions.
Rachel

I do think these people have forever changed their opinion about transfolk if they ever had one. But I really cannot take the credit. That little girl was so smart and full of life and so cute and girly...she was irresistible.

Miss Tessa
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I think some of the most interesting encounters I have with ppl I meet in public figuring out my T is with children and their parents.

A lot of times they are so young they don't know it's not generally polite to stare, and some stare right into my eyes.

They ask if I'm a boy or a girl. And sometimes I want to make a statement for ppl to not be transphobic. So I really enjoy the interaction I have when I meet a parent and child and the kid opens up to me in that curious way little kids do.

That gives me a chance to prove that we are thoughtful, sensitive, nice, harmless people and not all of us are "crack addict transvestite prostitutes" as a lot of ppl think about TG women and the stereotype we are placed with.

I think when we have interactions with curious children we need to do what you and I do and make the best of it.

They will remember the 'large lady who was nice on the bus who used to be a boy and now is a lady" all their lives and that infantile impression will stick with them as a good impression of transpeople.

Shelly Preston
11-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I am glad you had such a wonderful experience Michelia

I think you may just have educated one Mom oh how good we can be
I am sure between her and her little girl all her friends will find out about the nice lady with painted toes she met in the store :D

rhondamichelle
11-16-2008, 05:47 PM
What a wonderful and uplifting experience you had. Just reading about it made my day. Maybe we can change the world one person at a time.

Sincerely,

Rhonda Michelle

donnalee
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
"Little girls and butterflies need no excuse." - Robert Heinlein :love:

Christina Horton
11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
That was very cute story. It nice when we prove the sterotype are not what they think it should be. Congrats Hun and thank you for helping that little girl. Thats something I would do to. HUGGS :hugs: :canada:

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Michelia, that was truly beautiful!!! I'm glkad we have people like you in this world!

*hugs*

Zarabeth