PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Prefer?

Penelope
11-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Gurls,
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the past...?

What term do you prefer when discussing our lifestyle somewhere?

EG - I was in Psychology class in college and we were discussing Gender Identity Issues. When the T word (transvestite) was used I blared out without thinking "I hate that word it is so demeaning sounding!".

The class just stared at me in disbelief,then I realized what I had said,LOL!

So what do you prefer?TV/CD/TG/gurl or something else?

thx for reading

:hugs:

Penelope

:)

avril findlay
11-16-2008, 03:55 AM
If I have to be in a box, put me in the "crossdresser" box.
"Transvestite" sounds far to clinical.

Amanda.D
11-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Hi,
I prefer 'crossdresser'.
Mandy

Tracii G
11-16-2008, 04:11 AM
CDer

VeronicaMoonlit
11-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Gurls,
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the past...?

What term do you prefer when discussing our lifestyle somewhere?

Yes it has been mentioned and discussed many times. Including just in the last week or so. That thread even had a poll.

(Hey mods, I'm not trying to be a whiner/whinger but more stickies might reduce the number of repetitve threads. Either that or perhaps more actively concatenating threads. That might work as well)

Veronica
Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.

Janie Gunn
11-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Penelope, I'm the exact opposite to you. I much prefer Transvestite, or Trannie, to Crossdresser. I dont particularly like the term Crossdresser.

Janie

Deborah Jane
11-16-2008, 04:47 AM
Failing that, crossdressers ok with me :)

Paulacder
11-16-2008, 05:16 AM
I joined a Crossdressing Support Group many years ago. The acronyms that were used then and to this day are some what different than the ones that are used on this site. I always then thought that the different terms could be regional or even national. For instance, G.G. always ment Guy Girl.....and likewise R.G. always ment Real Girl. The term Crossdresser seems to fit what we do pretty good, however I hate being referred to as a Drag Queen.....

Electra
11-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Etymologically crossdresser is the same as transvestite but I like the sound of the latter word more. Transvestite sounds a little harsh.

Jenniferpl
11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
CD'er is fine by me.

Jess_cd32
11-16-2008, 05:44 AM
CDer as well

Miss Tessa
11-16-2008, 05:47 AM
When discussing matters that apply to the whole transgender community I say TG

When talking about ppl who Crossdress I say "Crossdresser"

When talking about ppl like myself I say TS/transsexual.

Sarah...
11-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Transgender suits me.

Sarah...

sometimes_miss
11-16-2008, 08:48 AM
It was my understanding that the word transvestite was the clinical term for a person who crossdresses for the purpose of sexual excitement brought on by wearing the clothes of the opposite physical sex. So, if there's not sex thing there, where does that leave us? I guess with either crossdresser or transgender. Gender-bender maybe? I don't know, but I rarely do anything sexual while dressed.

Mary Jane
11-16-2008, 08:51 AM
to call mself a crossdresser.

Tasha McIntyre
11-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Definately crossdresser.

MarinaTwelve200
11-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Etymologically crossdresser is the same as transvestite but I like the sound of the latter word more. Transvestite sounds a little harsh.

Crossdresser is a good term in normal conversation. In my psychological readings "Transvestite", in its most technical sense, is a crossdresser who is NOT Homosexual. In a slightly less formal sense it refers to a Crossdresser who CDs for fetish based resons.

Crossdresser is likely the best term for casual conversation, as it gets the point across, without introducing the clinical undertones and implications that "transvestite" may evoke---which can have different meanings, depending on the technical formalities of speech, and which can also differ on different sides of 'the pond".

Teri Jean
11-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Crossdresser will be my choice. It is what I have used to discribe my life style choice with those I have outed to. Keli

MarciManseau
11-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Transgender suits me.

Sarah...

Same here. Sarah, you're sooooo smart! :heehee:

I don't like the "Chix with Dix" label at all. That's such a tiny part of who I am, thankfully.

Smoochies, Marci

Janie Gunn
11-16-2008, 09:50 AM
dictionary explanation; Transvestite: one who wears the clothes of the opposite sex.

A person who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.
Transgender: person having physical characteristics of one sex and psycological characteristics of the other.

Ive looked online and I cant find any dictionaries explanations of transvestite in the 'clinical' sense that is mentioned previously.

Janie

Karren H
11-16-2008, 09:53 AM
All of the above or none of the above... it really isn't important in the great scheme of things.... I'm me... and this is what I like to do and i don't care what it's called....

unclejoann
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
For forty some years I called myself a transvestite and was satisfied with that. I didn't adopt the word crossdresser until I joined this forum. I think it is good to use crossdresser because it is a more accessible word for the public to accept (eventually?).

Jessicaparkson
11-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Crossdresser when referring to others.

Transsexual when to myself.

Tomara
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I prefer Cross dresser as well , I think it defines who I am.
Tomara

ElaineB
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I could not care less which of transvestite, crossdresser, TV or CD to use, although I would prefer people not label me at all!

AmandaM
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I've been defined in the past by psychologists as a "True Transvestite" or a "Transvestite with Transsexual Tendencies". This I feel defines me more, whereas Crossdresser is a generic term.

sterling12
11-16-2008, 03:14 PM
My preference is "transgendered." And for some reason I like the umbrella term "Transfolk." For me, it has a nice ring to it, and makes it feel like family.

But, I can live with most of the older terms. The only one I actively dislike is "Trannie." I think it's often been used in a pejorative manner.

Peace and Love, Joanie

serinalynn
11-16-2008, 03:35 PM
1 transvestite a man who wears womens clothing 24/7 buy who has not transitioned or who doesnot Identify fully as a woman

2 Trans-sexual: A person who dresses 24/7 as a woman and has transitioned to be a woman and can Identify her self after transition as a woman.

3 Crossdresser A person who wears women clothing part time but not full time and still Identifys himself as a man and still is employed as a man.

4 Trans Gender: This is a topic for some discussion. A person can have a SRS proceedure and go sexually from a man to a woman. AT birth we all have a genitic make up and I think that even if you have the SRS proceedure it doesn't necessarily change your genitic make up from birth. I invite thoughts on this.

Samantha43
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
1 transvestite a man who wears womens clothing 24/7 buy who has not transitioned or who doesnot Identify fully as a woman

2 Trans-sexual: A person who dresses 24/7 as a woman and has transitioned to be a woman and can Identify her self after transition as a woman.

3 Crossdresser A person who wears women clothing part time but not full time and still Identifys himself as a man and still is employed as a man.

4 Trans Gender: This is a topic for some discussion. A person can have a SRS proceedure and go sexually from a man to a woman. AT birth we all have a genitic make up and I think that even if you have the SRS proceedure it doesn't necessarily change your genitic make up from birth. I invite thoughts on this.

I'll go with that. My thoughts are similar. I consider myself a crossdresser, which is the term I prefer.

Karen_Ski
11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
I think like many I started out in the CD/TV category. Today I know I am TG but definitely all gurl! :daydreaming:

Sonia Greene
11-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Transgender is a way of embracing both words, less jarring to say, also it's a generalisation, which isn't a bad thing sometimes! Why should anyone tell all to a stranger?

Deidra Cowen
11-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I honestly think the movie "Rocky Horror" ruined the term transvestite for all time!

Kerrie Sifton
11-16-2008, 04:54 PM
The issue of one name over another probably comes from the denotation of the name and its association in your mind. Transvestite, transsexual, crossdresser, Tranny, and or cd'r mean different things to all of us.
Today I would suggest I am a crossdresser to this group but would say I am transgendered if I were to explain myself to someone.
I keep thinking of popeye and his "I y'am who I y'am , oliveoyle!"

Ciao
Kerrie

ErikaK
11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
All of the above or none of the above... it really isn't important in the great scheme of things.... I'm me... and this is what I like to do and i don't care what it's called....
:iagree: INMHO It doesn't matter what term we use we'll probably need to explain what it means to us because we all see things from a different point of view,and it all depends where we're at at the time, in the "Nut-House"on a ward with a Nazi that shaved 1/2 of his beard & mustache off right down the middle,the Antichrist & a guy with a eyeball tattooed on his forehead,I was one of the more "Normal" looking & acting ones there & I was nicknamed the Freak! :devil: I've seen this forum referred to as a family,then if we are interested in any thing feminine MtF or are GG/Fab then we are all sisters here,and let's not forget our brothers(FtM) for they are part of the family too. Love, Peace & Happiness to ALL my Brothers & Sisters. Erika

carhill2mn
11-16-2008, 05:25 PM
For myself, I prefer crossdresser (CD).

Jennifer Cox
11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't like the "Chix with Dix" label at all. That's such a tiny part of who I am, thankfully.

No need to be modest Marci. :D

Getting back to the subject, I prefer crossdresser. Technically, I'm more of a cross-shopper since I rarely get the chance to dress. Even more so today, when I found the dress I ordered was torn, and now they're out-of-stock! :Angry3:

Bev06 GG
11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi girls,
To be honest I have never really given this much thought. When I talk about my friends from the CD community I call them my tranny friends. I dont wish to offend anyone and its always said tongue in cheek. They too have a few choice names for me but its all said in good fun. I guess Im not particularly politically correct but it is a term of endearment on my part and its easier than saying my friends that are male who like to dress up in womens clothes from time to time.
Bev

CD Susan
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
I prefer to use the term crossdresser when referring to myself. This is just one of many labels that are included in the wide spectrum of transgenderism. I think the term transvestite sounds offensive and never use it.

Kendra (Tx)
11-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmmm...I'd prefer "T girl" but for the sake of the question...Crossdresser will work for me too..

http://kendra954.com

Chrissy8888
11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I must go with transgender. At least in my case. However they are all just lables.

Brandiwvr
11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
crossdresser would to me imply that i am one or the other gender, hmm so transgendered is the overall term that was somehow put on all gender varient people.
for me i will be as poppye says " i ams what i ams". ????????????
how about "gendifferent".

Marjory
11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
CDer, Transvestite has a "something's wrong with me" sound to it.

Janie Gunn
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
CDer, Transvestite has a "something's wrong with me" sound to it. :lol:
Oh yeah , theres something wrong with this tranny, lookout Marjory! LOL

And 'genderdifferent' Brandi, do you like labels that much that you create your own. get back in your pigeonhole! :^5:

Janie

Rachel Morley
11-18-2008, 01:54 AM
If I was to ever get stopped by the police when driving en femme (I'm sure it's going to happen one day) I would say to them that I am transgendered. Amongst other t-girls I always say I'm a crossdresser. I don't know why, but I don't really like the "T-word" much. I agree with Deidra, I think the T-word conjures up images of Rocky Horror in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I like Frank, but I don't really identify with him. :D

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Crossdresser or female impersonator works for me

Zara

trannie T
11-18-2008, 03:08 AM
I prefer "Crossdresser;" "Transvestite" is acceptable and "She male" is disgusting and demeaning.

Janie Gunn
11-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Hey, Katie B, thats f****** hilarious, that sure got rid of them. I hope that if I ever get quizzed by the pigs over something related to this that I can think to give them a smart answer like that. Great story.

Lanore
11-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I would have to answer Transgedere and comfortable with that.

Lanore

TSchapes
11-18-2008, 08:34 AM
"Executive Transvestite" or even "Male Tomboy". I've used these terms when explaining myself to others and they seem to ring true. Just plain transvestite and you have visions of Dr. Frank N. Furter (weirdo transvestite!)

So other than that, in civil company anyways, crossdresser will do thank you very much!

Love, Tracy

Angie G
11-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm a cross dresser and don't mind being called such. And I prefer Girl over gurl Penelope. That's just me others can be what they like.:hugs:
Angie

Penelope
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks gurls for your interesting responses,seems a number of you feel as I do about the transvestite word and how it bring Rocky Horror Picture Show to mind,lol

hugs
:hugs:

Penelope

docrobbysherry
11-19-2008, 01:07 AM
I think of myself as a, " Female illusionist".

But, I answer to; weirdo, freak, perv, manikin, and blow up doll!:eek:

tamarav
11-19-2008, 01:11 AM
"Skinny bitch" works for me!

suzanne
11-19-2008, 01:18 AM
I hate the word transvestite. It sounds like the kind of disease for which psychiatrists used to prescribe electro-shock therapy. I think of it as the CDer's N-word.

Cathytg
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I use two terms:

I AM transgendered;

The way I express that in my own comfort zone is by CROSS DRESSING.

It is a matter of who I am versus what I do.

renee k
11-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Transgender suits me.

Sarah...

Transgender suits me as well.

Huggs, Renee

Janice1948
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
I much prefer crossdresser but whatever you call me, don't call me late for dinner.

susanCD123
11-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I prefer crossdresser as well, I am now very comfortable with myself and my lifestyle. No more purges for me! I am way too old, it costs way too much money, and I like who I am, a crossdresser.

Leslie Langford
11-19-2008, 09:32 PM
To put it in very clinical terms, we probably all start out as "transvestites" since that description implies that there is a fetishistic aspect (i.e. a sexual "high") associated with our crossdressing. Those of us who began our experimentation with wearing articles of women's clothing around the time we hit puberty and became aware of our sexuality (including masturbatory fantasies) will know what I am talking about.

As we age, get into our 50's and beyond, and our testosterone levels drop, crossdressing becomes less of a sexual and more of a gender identity thing - especially as we finally come to terms with what we are and accept this gender "gift" rather than continuing to be perplexed by it, live in shame, and trying to fight it. At that point, we achieve the piece of mind and feeling of comfort we experience in wearing women's clothing, and "crossdressing" becomes a more apt description of what we do.

That said, there is also a certain cultural connotation to the term "transvestite" as opposed to "crossdresser".

It has been my experience that individuals from the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa among other former Commonwealth countries are more apt to use the term "transvestite" (or the less clinical "trannie") to describe this concept, just as they refer to what we call gasoline as "petrol", garters as "suspenders", elevators as "lifts" and pantyhose as "tights" etc.

We English-speaking North Americans i.e. Americans and Canadians tend to use the term "crossdresser" far more frequently - especially over the last 30 years or so as people have begun to realize that men who enjoy wearing women's clothing are far more common than was once thought, and not all are the types of freaks and deviants commonly seen on the Jerry Springer show.

Billie_P
11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
To put it in very clinical terms, we probably all start out as "transvestites" since that description implies that there is a fetishistic aspect (i.e. a sexual "high") associated with our crossdressing. Those of us who began our experimentation with wearing articles of women's clothing around the time we hit puberty and became aware of our sexuality (including masturbatory fantasies) will know what I am talking about.

The other part of the definition 'transvestite' is instead of the sexual gratification is emotional gratification.

Jennie CD
11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
:heehee: Me I call my self first A Lady - then a Crossdresser. :hugs:

Jennie CD

lauraabdl
11-20-2008, 12:47 PM
most definite Crossdresser, emotional fullfillment.
Laura

JoAnne Wheeler
11-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I really don't care for either. I consider us all to be human beings. We are special people who have been gifted with the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, we have to pay a heavy price for this gift. We should consider it as a gift and not a curse.

JoAnne Wheeler

Charlotte Sometimes
11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
I prefer Crossdresser, transvestite seems very 80s to me.

Jennifer Marie P.
11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
I prefer to be called a crossdresser but don't care much it's what I am and love it.

Joanne Curl
11-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Definitely cross dresser. It explains who and what I am. I'm a man who sometimes likes to present as a woman. I'm still the same person whether I'm dressed in drab or fem. I feel differently when I'm dressed as Joanne and I act and react differently than when I'm my male self but I'm still the same person. I'm just a guy who sometimes likes to be a girl ( and a pretty one when I can pull it off!).
Joanne:battingeyelashes:

haleycole
11-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I am a cd!!