PDA

View Full Version : The way it can be, CDing in other cultures!

battybattybats
11-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Throughout human history there have been crossdressers.

In some they were reviled but in many they were sacred!

In some places they still are.

Take a look at this about Tonga. http://www.sbs.com.au/blogarticle/108276/Just-a-Girl-at-Heart/blog/Global-Village The video is well worth watching even though it is just a few highlights from the whole program.

There are cultures today with still surviving millenia old pro-CD and TS traditions.

That is what our society could become. There is nothing inevitable or set in stone about the current social attitudes to transgender.

We have seen massive changes in our lifetimes with racism and sexism and homophobia is following suit at a rapid pace.

So then if we do what they have done we too can gain the ground they have.

Kelly DeWinter
11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Awesome article. The main thing I came away with was more accepting cultures ARE accepting because of

the long tradition of activly crossdressing. We are just the start in the US, I think in 100 years people will

dres and wear makeup however they want and no one will bat an eye. Just like in anything else you gain

ground by ACTING on your beliefs. Go out dressed. We have a resturant we gals around Balt go to every Tues

Night at first there were stares, now it's no big deal . In fact the waiters and waitresses WANT to be our

servers

Miss Tessa
11-17-2008, 09:14 AM
That's awesome. I already knew about the Hijdras in India, but did not know about the Feleletti in Tonga.

Very interesting!

I think our society needs to afford effiminate TG people like us who were not born genetically female a role other than just trying to pidgeonhole us in with other women or even homeosexual men like they do here in America.

A TS pretty much wants to be a woman as much as they can.But even though I am very much transsexual, I do take pride in being TG and being a "girl with a penis" and I consider myself more of a third gender.

I wish our society was like India or Tonga or ancient Native American culture and ancient Carribean indian culture and we had the opportunity to be recognized and respected as a whole other gender if we identified that way.

Debutante
11-17-2008, 08:12 PM
"Take a look at this about Tonga. http://www.sbs.com.au/blogarticle/10...Global-Village The video is well worth watching even though it is just a few highlights from the whole program.
There are cultures today with still surviving millenia old pro-CD and TS traditions.
That is what our society could become. There is nothing inevitable or set in stone about the current social attitudes to transgender."
-------------

I like the idea that men who aren't TS or bi can choose to look feminised and be girly, when they wish to. That's what I'd like.
We have many differing expressions of transgender in the community... I'm just trying to find out mine...

Miss Tessa
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Kelly if you think CD'iing and Transgenderis, is relatively new in America you're kidding yourself.

That goes way back.

The Native Americans in both North and South America, and the carribean islands afforded an actually respected place for TG's in their societies. They were regarded as shamans and the extra wives of chiefs.
They were called Winkte and the public view for the Lakota and such tribes was that winkte were stronger than the GG women and could get more work done, and didn't bare children and the things we appreciate as transwomen that GG's have like periods. I know I am glad I don't have a period or ever have to give birth.

And if you read Southern literature that takes place in the South, you might learn that in the Slave Days, there were TG's who wore dresses and were largely kept inside and just did housework and were hidden from the greater society.It was a black thing. White TG's on the otherhand had to stay in the closet for other social reasons, such as the fact they were allowed upward mobility in society and their families would pressure the inclinations to stay in the closet completely, as did homosexuality for the most part.To put it simpler, the blacks at that time and place in history had little to loose.They were already treated subhuman.
There were transgendered servants who most of the time just stayed inside the slave quarters and did the woman's work the slave family needed done while the genetic black women worked in the white's plantation house.But some black TG's that were the slave's family were accepted fine by the white's who owned them as just-as-good labor and they did woman's servitude and were regarded as able to do more work because they were stronger than a GG.

And if you think that is BS then yall are probably not from the South you wouldn't understand.

....Just a bit of history most people have ignored till it has been long forgotten.

The only difference is today we have hormones and other options to fulfill our dreams.

Holly
11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
...And if you read Southern literature that takes place in the South, you might learn that in the Slave Days, there were TG's who wore dresses and were largely kept inside and just did housework and were hidden from the greater society.It was a black thing. White TG's on the otherhand had to stay in the closet for other social reasons, such as the fact they were allowed upward mobility in society and their families would pressure the inclinations to stay in the closet completely, as did homosexuality for the most part.To put it simpler, the blacks at that time and place in history had little to loose.They were already treated subhuman.
There were transgendered servants who most of the time just stayed inside the slave quarters and did the woman's work the slave family needed done while the genetic black women worked in the white's plantation house.But some black TG's that were the slave's family were accepted fine by the white's who owned them as just-as-good labor and they did woman's servitude and were regarded as able to do more work because they were stronger than a GG...Would you care to share yoursources?

unclejoann
11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
The Zuni Man-Woman by Will Roscoe is an excellent book on an accepting culture.

Miss Tessa
11-18-2008, 06:39 AM
The Riddle of Gender.

It's just one of a few books I have seen what I said written in. I'm a bookworm.

docrobbysherry
11-18-2008, 11:00 AM
We r civilized here in the USA. Not like 3rd world countries! Respect CD's? Huh, not here!

We have a rich religious history over here. We started burning our witches hundreds of years ago!:devil: