PDA

View Full Version : How to successfully start a local group?

battybattybats
11-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I've been talking to a CD in my general region and I know there are at least a couple in my own town that I haven't met.

I'm wondering how people have successfully gone about setting up a TG support and/or social group that can get the message out to people while mainaining their ability to stay in the closet.

And I think if there is a successful formula for this that it'd be good to pass around.

Kelly DeWinter
11-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Batty, I can put you in touch with Mary Alice, she is a very good organizer, and can help. PM me for her phone number.

I've been talking to a CD in my general region and I know there are at least a couple in my own town that I haven't met.

I'm wondering how people have successfully gone about setting up a TG support and/or social group that can get the message out to people while mainaining their ability to stay in the closet.

And I think if there is a successful formula for this that it'd be good to pass around.

yms
11-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Some years back, when I was involved in this, I found that my web site, which was a personal web site, received a lot of traffic and CDers from my area "found" me that way. I was able to pass on information about a group that met monthly and over time I built up an email list of 100+ gals.

Now I would think you could use this forum and sites like MySpace to create a web presence that would allow people to find you.

If you live somewhere where people are moderately progressive, you may be able to get the news media to do a story on your new group.

The one piece of advice I would give you is don't expect big turnouts. Sometimes I had to send out monthly reminders to people for months and even years before they would get up the nerve to come to a meeting. Our meetings were in a private, safe and secure location, but people were very hesitant to come. Sometimes we'd have 4 or 5 gals a month. You have to hang in there. It takes time. Over a period of years the turnouts improved.

Good luck.

CD Susan
11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
I recently joined a cd/tg support group. This group was started less than a year ago and is still small in size. I attended my first meeting about a week ago. I learned of this group through this website as there are several members here who belong to this group. I have to thank this forum for making it possible for me to make contact with the group and join its membership. It is fortunate that there are websites such as this one that make it possible for this to happen.

Melanie R
11-18-2008, 01:00 AM
In 1981 my wife and I organized together with another CD the first TG support group in Houston. We ran an ad in the Houston Chronicle that said, "If you are man who enjoys wearing women's clothing, please call XXXX" which was our telephone number. We received many calls and 2 months later in the meeting room of a hotel had our first Tri-Ess meeting with 25 in attendance. 27 years later the Tri-Ess chapter group is still meeting with 25+ in attendance each meeting. Out of this group over the years came five other TG organizations and the first TG Center in the country.

sterling12
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
In my groups, one of the first rules is that individual's privacy and their male identity will be protected, no ifs, ands, or buts! The only person who even keeps the filed/secured information is our Group Secretary. It is a critical job within the group, it calls for someone who is absolutely dependable and very experienced with these types of matters. Each applicant is required to sign certain papers that would have some force in a court of law....inotherwords, never "out" anyone!

And so far over a number of years, it has all worked out.

Our public website refers to an Email address to get the ball rolling and to make initial contact. No one knows anything about any other person's identity, and that's for EVERYONE'S Protection. You do run into the occasional Nut Job or chaser, and the process has been worked out over a number of years in other places.

We have a public website that will come up on search engines, we periodically put up flyer's in obvious places that TG Folks hang out, and we actively promote with our Sister's whenever the opportunity arises.

The Building Process takes time. Do not expect a lot of applicants and progress right away, or even for a year or two. Your group members will need to become more "public," you will need to attend LGBT Events, go to Clubs, become involved with "The Community." The sooner, and the more you do those types of activities, the quicker you will get known by others, and the quicker you will get results.

There are Sisters out there everywhere, your task is to let them know that your group exists, and give them a reason for joining. You my Dear, are a very smart lady. I am sure you can think of marketing and PR Techniques that none of us could even imagine. If you do this, please keep us informed and let us know what you have learned. Getting Gurl's involved with Groups has always been difficult and it's an ongoing process. We all could learn some things from one another.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sandra Dunn
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
All of these are great suggestions and they do work. My situation is a little diferent, I'm located out in the middle of nowhere. Before I started the group here the nearest one was 250 miles away. We do have about 6 girls that know about us and that have attended a meeting. Currently there are 2 of us actively involed with the group. We have started a blog and should have a Web page up soon.
I feel the internet is probably the best way to get the word out.
Best to your group, HUGS Sandra