PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with your hips

susancheerleader
11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure if everyone likes Shakira. But she, and many others, use thier hips alot when dancing.
I've not yet managed to do this like these ladies do. Is this something with GGs physical body, and "men" can't do well?
I'd love to shake my hips like this but... ain't happening. :sad:

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwQsXeZMSE

Angie G
11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Moving like that would be nice but I'd probably hurt myselfe.:hugs:
Angie

Miss Tessa
11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Heck no anyone can dance with their hips if they're in shape.

Sally24
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
My daughter is of the opinion that you have to grow up in a culture that promotes that kind of dance. She doesn't think you can learn to move that well once you are an adult.

Jacqui
11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Susan, I know exactly what you mean. I started a similar thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92518

Here is Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" that caused my awakening!

bEHVw_vcp-A&feature=related

Before you can shake your hips, you have to move them!
Unless you are in phenomenal shape and have the flexibility of a rubber-band, I doubt that many GG's could do what she does. So don't kick yourself.

Shake them as much as you can and be happy!

If link doesn't work, just go to youtube and search: Hips Don't Lie

Brina Halloween
11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
It is not impossible...get a good cha cha or salsa instructor...then practice a lot what they teach. I have had lessons just to do the dances but, need a lot more practice. You don't even need to mention being a CD, it is part of the dance for guys too.

Brina

Barbara Dugan
11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Shakira being from Lebanese ancestry learned belly dance at early age and yes it can be done, she is one of the most impersonated celebrities on Latin America's drag shows I have seen some outstanding
performances takes practices thought.

docrobbysherry
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
It also helps to have hips! That accentuates the movement. And it doesn't help to be wearing a corset when you're trying to dance! ( Trust me on that last one!):sad:

susancheerleader
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
What about novices?
Can we learn it, at an older age?

Bethany_Anne_Fae
11-18-2008, 01:27 AM
If you are in good flexzible shape you CAN do it, but it takes a heck of a lot of practice. We have a Fusion Belly-dancing class here in DF/W that I take. It has lots of men in it so i can learn everything without being all dolled up. Plus, i know the head instructor really well and he gives me lessons on body-movement.

Its really cool and great exercise ;)

*hugs*

Zarabeth

Oddlee
11-18-2008, 01:45 AM
as Lance Armstrong says. Much of the hip movement you see in women's dancing is actually driven by the legs - knee and thigh movement. Don't try to move your hips, catch the leg movement and you'll get it.

Lee

Kate Simmons
11-18-2008, 05:44 AM
LOL, this is one of the first things I learned when I started dancing as Ericka. Initially I didn't have a clue and was stiff as a board out on the floor. A couple of lesbian gals took me under their wings and taught me how to move. Bear in mind I was around 55 at the time and in the beginning I felt kind of foolish. It's not just the hips but arms as well. The key is to develop your own style and go with the beat and flow of the music, forget about what you look like and enjoy it. Soon the moves come naturally and it looks like you've been dancing all your life and I make up a lot of them as I go along. The real secret is that most other people don't know what they are doing out there either but the idea is always to have fun and that makes all the difference.:)

Lois Page
11-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Susan:
If you can get it, take a look at a show called "Shimmy" on the FIT channel. It is on Direct TV and may be on Dish and the cable networks. Instuctional show on belly dancing and very well done.
Lois

erickka
11-18-2008, 07:55 AM
I think it can be done by men. If you watch Dancing with the stars, those professional girl dancers get those guy celebs to move really well. Even Warren Sapp, as big as he is, really shakes it .

Chari
11-18-2008, 10:15 AM
If I tried to shimmy like that, my back would go out more than I do!

Jennie CD
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
:love: I say just get out there and shake it - if your afraid of someone is watching - I say so what - your there to have fun not to please them. So GO FOR IT AND SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE that sexy body. :hugs:

Jennie CD

Sarah_GG
11-18-2008, 10:36 AM
posted by Jaqui

I doubt that many GG's could do what she does.

You're so wrong. All GGs can dance like that. And most of us would by able to get our lips in sync at the same time. It's no big deal.

:)

valenstein
11-18-2008, 11:17 AM
I just started to teach myself those moves, and it can be done. This vid was a good one to learn the basic hip drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ov6cCUXkc

I watched a bunch of similar ones, but to do it right, it has to come from your obliques and your glutes. It took me awhile to learn to isolate those muscles, but I'm getting better. Notice her feet and legs barely move, it all comes from the hip and glutes. I've seen other people do it using a push from their legs, but that's the right way to do it from what I've seen.

If you want to learn how to Hip Roll, this gal is insane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5gg2xh_ts Mesmerizing. The Hip Roll is much different than the Hip Drop, she does both. I've seen guys do it, too, but you need to develop muscle control to do it right.

Kyara
11-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Shakira's moves range in styles and rhythms, she is excellent in all of them.

Now, dancing without your hips....I can't get to it. To me it all goes even beyond that. As some of the other girls have stated, it is the legs, the arms, the hips.....we know it is the feet too...but I'd like not to forget the shoulders and head. Dancing without considering all of the above, to me, is not the same....(perhaps is cultural).

If you want to dance just get up and do it. Watch videos...watch girls......watch yourself......dance!

If you really want to get down...practice.....practice......practice...you'l l be surprised at what you'll see yourself dancing.

Jah Jah Dance!

KellyCD
11-20-2008, 01:40 AM
posted by Jaqui

You're so wrong. All GGs can dance like that. And most of us would by able to get our lips in sync at the same time. It's no big deal.

:)

You're so wrong. My wife has tried to dance like that. I almost called 911 because I thought she was having a seizure. jk

She can't dance like that. So not all GG's can dance like that.

Miss Tessa
11-20-2008, 01:55 AM
I walk alot because I am frightened to death of driving so I have really strong legs and hips I can move pretty well.
It's one of my best features. I just wish I had maybe a C or D cup instead of a B.

Fab Karen
11-20-2008, 05:35 AM
First you inject 40weight into your hips...

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. Helps to watch yourself in a mirror. And yes, listen to the music. Feel the beat.