PDA

View Full Version : Art and Crossdressing

Veronica27
11-17-2008, 11:26 PM
According to Webster's dictionary, the primary definition of art is "the production, expression or realm of what is beautiful". We observe beauty in many ways. Our eyes see it in people, pets, gardens, wildlife and nature. Our ears hear it in music, the wind, the oceans waves and so on. We can also taste, touch and smell beauty, but it is much more than these basic senses. There is also beauty in certain emotions, moods and feelings. The artist attempts to capture the various forms of beauty and express it in his paintings, music, poetry, sculpture or literature.

The crossdresser is also expressing beauty. Sure, he tries to make himself look as gorgeous as possible, but it is more than that. There is a beauty in femininity that we all too often fail to appreciate. The crossdresser senses this more than most folks, male or female, and his artistic temperament has a need to express what he is feeling through his own artistic medium, himself.

One of America's greatest composers was Stephen Foster, who sadly, has become all but forgotten because America wants to distance itself from the era in which he lived. Many of his lyrics speak volumes about the beauty he observed, not only in the women he loved but which also shone through the struggles of the people he cared for. The lyrics to "My Old Kentucky Home", "Old Dog Tray" and "Old Black Joe" are particularly poignant. One of my personal favourites captures the feeling of femininity I feel when I crossdress and allow my mind to explore the beauty of the feminine experience.

Sweetly she sleeps, my Alice fair,
Her cheek on the pillow pressed,
Sweetly she sleeps, while her Saxon hair,
Like sunlight, streams o'er her breast.

Hush! let her sleep! I pray, sweet breeze,
Breathe low on the maple bough!
Hush! bright bird, on her window trees!
For sweetly she sleepest now.

Her cheek like the first May rose,
Sweetly she sleeps, and all her care
Is forgotten in soft repose.

Hush! though the earliest beams of light
Their wings in the blue sea dip,
Let her sleep, I pray, while her dreams are bright,
And a smile is about her lip.

CharleneT
11-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Well... I agree, but I am also an artist

I think that we are all trying on some level to find a new beauty in ourselves. Sure, it may or may not work as well as we want; but we sure like the parts that do work! At times I do think of dressing and going out as a form of performance art. Surely I am not a woman, hence it is a performance. I think that some people pick up on that, especially if I am wearing vintage clothing.

Charlene

docrobbysherry
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Actually, many people consider Stephen Foster to be the BEST orginal American composer! Besides his poetry that u illustrated, he wrote some very memorable tunes.:thumbsup:

Altho I don't usually think of that way, many folks have told me my CDing pics r an art form. It is, after all, all about my looks, no matter how contrived they r. To that end, maybe we all r artists trying to reach our "perfect" ideal look!:daydreaming:

Unfortunately, after reviewing my latest pics, I know we can also produce some incredibly BAD ART also!:eek:

Jennifer Cox
11-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while and had meant to start a new thread. I wondered if we were more likely than the average Joe to have artistic tendencies if we CD'd.

I myself have always been interested in art (rubbish at it) and photography (because I can't draw). Tried other forms too, like Bonsai - since I also like growing things (not too successful there either). So now I'm full circle back to makeup LOL! - just hope I'm better at it second time around. :D

Kate Simmons
11-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Hmm--I spose. If you would see how I start out as Rich you would have to say it's either art, dumb luck or a hell of a lot of synchronicity.:heehee:

harmony
11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
for something to stay alive it has to evolve.
from the first article of female clothing that got us exited to the full monte we aquire the mechanics to express our femme selves.
its like learning to draw or play an instrument.
once we are proficient in this the artform comes in as we have a chance to individualize this.
living itself can be an artform if we turn our insides out with grace and beauty for others to behold.
putting it all together and turning it out has helped me get beyond the sexually charged feelings of a bouncing breast or a tugging garter on nylons .
evolving from the murky underworld into the sunlight of beautifully expressed feminity where for the beholder it does not matter what the underlying gender is!
thank you for bringing this wonderfull post!!
the name veronica does relate to wisdom