PDA

View Full Version : More female mannerisms - smiling

Patti Remick
11-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi all,
Im still going thru the oldish 'Boy Mode vs Girl Mode' thread at the picture board and it made me ponder the issue of smiling (in the pictures) vs not when in female mode. Ive been told - as a male - that I never smile. Ive read that most women smile - especially for pictures - where many men will not. I dont mean men frown, they just dont smile. So my question to those of you who have pictures of themselves enfemme is: when enfemme do you smile? Do you think smiling is a feminine mannerism? Do you try to smile more when being female than as being male? Do you think you have been conditioned as a male not to smile - just as you have been conditioned as a male not to cry. Id love to discuss with all.

Luv and hugs,
Patti Remick

Karren H
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Do I smile? Happy girls always smile!! Matter of fact smiling is now gender independent... Used to be when imy wife would take my photo on vacations shed always say "Smile" and I'd reply.. I am!! Hahaha.

Now she doesn't have to ask...

:)

Plus........ my happiness isn't dependent on the clothes I wear!!

Sandra Dunn
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Good question. I smile a lot any way and I have noticed I smile more when I'm in "me" mode. My spouse says I seem more at peace and content when I'm in Sandra mode. Plus it makes us look prettier when we smile.

Women when they pass each other will smile, it's like a secret signal that the path way ahead is safe. It's also like a signal that they are fine and in need of no assistence at the moment.

HUGS and Smiling Sandra

Charlotte Sometimes
11-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I do smile occaisionally in pictures en femme, never in male mode.

Raya
11-20-2008, 01:49 PM
I just spent too much time around miserable people growing up. When you're around miserable people, the best way to "protect" your happiness is to always keep them in the dark about it. Some miserable people are only satisfied when everyone around them is miserable, and nothing will paint a target on your back faster than smiling.

It's a bad habit that I'm glad to say I'm outgrowing.

renee k
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
:)I'm always smiling when out enfemme. When another woman looks my way and smiles, I always return the smile. It makes me happy to recieve that kind of greeting.

Huggs, Renee:battingeyelashes:

MJ
11-20-2008, 04:01 PM
i smile all the time i feel it brings out more feminine features

tamarav
11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
One of my pet peeves, not smiling. Aren't you happy about what you are doing and want to smile about it? If all you do is frown, you must not be having fun, so why do it?

That is my take on it, all women smile and as previously stated, at each other. I find that I smile at virtually every woman I meet and they smile back. Sort of like an acceptance.

Do I smile? When don't I smile? I searched my pictures for those in which I wan't smiling. Took me a few minutes to realize there weren't any, just these...

Carroll
11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I am not a fan of my smile at all. Unlike a lot you, I dont have a "Big" smile, If I smile to show teeth it looks fake because it is. As a matter fo fact, go to my photos in my profile and you will see only one picture showing only a sliver of teeth

Janice1948
11-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I have always been a "happy" person. My voice even exudes that. I've had people say to me on the telephone "what are you so happy about". I checked my pictures in male mode and found some smiles. I then checked my pictures enfemme and found a smile in each of them. Dressing does bring the best in me. Hugs, Janice

Crystal Galadriel
11-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I always smile for pictures in guy mode, have never taken pictures in girl mode. My smile is kind of a half-smile, the left side of my mouth moves a lot more than my right, I don't know why. I show teeth for pictures, but again, more on the left than the right. I generally don't smile when I'm just out and about unless I'm specifically in a GOOD mood instead of just a normal mood. Normal mood, I'm relatively straight-faced. It's just easier on my face to be relaxed most of the time, but I'll definitely show the happiness when I'm feeling it.

Fab Karen
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
As I've said before, living in a metropolis, if I had a dollar for every woman who isn't smiling, I'd be rich. Humans smile or don't based on how they're feeling, or what they may be thinking about. It isn't about gender.

Sam-antha
11-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Karen has the right idea on this subject. I have just been through a pile of photos and it seems that smiles are rare things, at least in the streets that I have been snapped in.

In this one, I was waiting for whoever took the pic to get on with it, impatient that was me...but then perhaps she was waiting for me to smile. lol. The other variation that I have come up with is that the closer I was to the camera, then the more likely a smile was....
There we have it, street smiling seems rare and personal smiling varies according to the circs of the pic.
I smile tho', when I see this one, taken in the subway, where people do not smile.

:2c:

~Samm

Patti Remick
11-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi all,
Thanks for the responses so far. Just to clear I was mostly speaking about smiling for pictures. It seems men dont smile for pictures as much where most women almost alway smile for pictures. As far a walking down the street most people, female or male, do not smile unless interacting with another person - even a stranger and only for a moment. But (as already mentioned) in that situation more women will smile than men.

Luv and Hugs to all,
Patti Remick

Kimberly Marie Kelly
12-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Never had good bright teeth, poor dental habits, so I learned not to smile alot. Now as I dress more and many of my friends here have said, I should smile more, so with every new picture I take I try to smile more. Hope my Avatar shows a smile. :battingeyelashes:

Teri Jean
12-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I try to smile as much as possible but there are times where it isn't going to happen. But dressed it is easy because I'm having fun. Keli

Alice B
12-03-2008, 07:58 PM
You have to love it when you can dress, so why not smile and be the happy woman you are. Smile make you feel better and live longer.:):):)

Marshchild
12-04-2008, 06:31 AM
One of the things the OP asked was whether people felt as if they'd been conditioned not to smile as part of their male upbringing. I can't say that was really the case for me, for I was often told I had a "beautiful" smile and that I should have shown it more. Little seems to have changed since then, for I'm often told I don't smile nearly as much as I should; indeed, people often tell me I look really pissed off about something. The trouble is, though, that that's usually not intentional - it just seems to be the "default mode" for my face (and as I'll sometimes remind people when they complain about me looking grumpy, I can't see the expression on my face!). I usually don't smile for photos either, mainly because I think I look like a dork when I do (in fact, most of the time, I hate having my picture taken full stop). Oh well, at least I probably smile more than my avatar!

Lilith Moon
12-04-2008, 06:39 AM
In my photo collection the pics I took after following advice from this forum about smiling look much more femme. The difference is amazing. Since then I have made an attempt to smile more often in real life in both femme and male modes. It really does make a difference to how people relate and costs absolutely nothing. So, here's a few freebies for you all:
:):):):):):)

erickka
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
I tend to smile when in femme mode, since I am happier than in male mode. Guess it is a natural thing.

carolinewalker_2000
12-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I try and smile whenever my photo is being taken. However, it is certainly the case that it comes more easily when I am in "Caroline mode".

Sarasometimes
12-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I made a similar post a few weeks back and agree about male and female smiling habits. For men to smile at another male it can be misunderstood. For women it doesn't have that same meaning. I find that i do look much more feminine when I smile. It gives me some semblance of cheekbones. I am learning to smile when enfemme, even when i am nrvous about my surroundings. It does help make you blend for sure. i did it a lot wheni was in Walmart and I felt much better doing it.

unclejoann
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM
It doesn't seem to come naturally, but I will work on it.

Celeste
12-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I think smiling raises the apples of your cheeks and shows your blush better.Its also contagious,you can brighten someones day and then they pass it on down the line to another.

Jonianne
12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
I have a difficult time showing a smile for a picture even though I am smiling, it just doesn't show very well.

In real life my smile apparently shows - both male and female mode - because I get so many smiles in return.

Jilmac
12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Well Patti, I don't know when or how you were conditioned to not smile in male mode, but I was always told that a smile is more photogenic and I have always smiled from as long as I can remember. A smile can also take on various forms from a tight lip upturned at the corners :) to a full tooth grin:D. Experiment with various smiles in both guy and girl mode, you might be pleasantly surprized by the outcome.

jessielee
12-04-2008, 07:58 PM
you know, in drab i smile easily and am not shy for the camera. but then again, have also been told i'm more emotional, intuitive, empathic than "the other guys. and those were only the nice descriptions! maybe its considered "feminine." too bad, i consider it human.
smiling,
jessie

lauraabdl
12-05-2008, 12:27 PM
This sounds like an experiment in the making, lets all try and smile today and see what happens.
Laura:D