PDA

View Full Version : I will no longer be surprised

Sara Jessica
11-22-2008, 09:21 AM
On Thursday, I had an all day outing that lasted nearly 12 hours from start to finish. It was nearly flawless and rather than give a travelogue of the entire day, I thought I'd share one or two extraordinary events.

So to set the scene for this post, I was meeting up with a tg friend who was in town from the east coast. After a little shopping, at about 8:30 p.m. or so, we decided on a popular upper-scale Chinese restaurant for dinner. It was very crowded and we got a table that was off to the side in the main dining room. The story here is about our server. Right out of the gate, unknown to us whether she perceived us as women or tg, she hit each and every noun and pronoun right on the mark. I kind of think she knew, and I saw her sincere effort to make us feel beyond 100% welcome. It was almost like she was going out of her way a bit in saying stuff like "what can I get for you ladies", using feminine references every chance she had.

I commented to my friend right away about how this server seemed extraordinary. And after our meal we were talking about it some more as the manager came up to our table and she was the exact same way. We all chit-chatted for about 5 minutes and I mentioned how wonderful our server was. The manager gave us her card and said I could log a comment on the company's website (which of course I did).

The moral of this tale is that while my friend was equally as pleased with the service we received, she asked me why I seemed so surprised. I took a step back and realized that a vast majority of my encounters with the muggles are highly positive or at least on the right side of neutral. So with my friend's help, I now understand that I have every right to expect to be treated well and will no longer be surprised when it happens. Yet I will still be pleased as can be when it does!!!

Karren H
11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a great time.... the way it's supposed to be!! ohhh and I love Chineese!! Kung pao Chicken!!! yeah!! :)

Eileen
11-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Sara is so wonderful to be treated as a lady! We are so fortunate today! A few short years ago there was not the acceptance, by businesses and the public in general, that there is today. Enjoy being treated as the lady you are!

Eileen

avril findlay
11-22-2008, 11:01 AM
She sounds to me like an extremely professional waitress, putting the needs of her customers first. I bet you'll be going back there.

Rachel M
11-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I am always looking for great service whether drab or enfemme. I will usually make a point to the server or management if I had extraordinary service. A lot of times you can pick up on what kind of day a person had/having by how they serve you. The surprise is when they go out of there way to make you feel welcomed.
Rachel

Julogden
11-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Sara,

A great story, must have been a wonderful feeling and experience. "Muggles"? Now why hasn't someone thought of that before, I love it!

Carol

CD_DIANE
11-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Sara,

When someone acts like a professional, they deserve to be compensated like a professional! I also have gone out of my way to speak to a manager for either exceptional service or poor service. Glad you had such a great experience.

Diane

mykhelee
11-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I found out when shoe shopping that the "muggles" don't care as long as your money is green.

Alana65
11-22-2008, 02:19 PM
As professional as your server was, and how well she treated you and your friend, I hope you tipped her well. It sure sounded like a wonderful establishment to attend.

Christinedreamer
11-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I have a Korean BBQ that has become my favorite place of all the restaurants I have patronized. This place is staffed by real Koreans and many barely speak English but they make a valiant effort.

Upon finding a story about this place in the paper, we decided to try it. The menu had no English but did have pictures. I found one that looked good and asked about it. The server was very hesitant to let me order it as she said in broken English that too many Americans like it. I said I would try it and she bowed with great respect and said "Yes thank you".

She brought out 10 little bowls of various kinds of cabbage and then the main course. I learned the cabbage bowls were all kim chee and VERY spicy but also quite addictive to someone who likes spicy foods. (kim chee is fermented cabbage)

Then the main course- Unagi Donburi. marinated filet of sea eel on a bed of green onions. Girls let me tell you, and I kid you not, the taste of this is pure sweet heaven. My eyes rolled back in my head and I wanted a cigarette afterwords and I don't even smoke. The eel filet looks just like a filet of fish and is marinated in a teriyaki style sauce and is incredibly tender.

All the while the server waited for me to say something negative or push it away but all I wanted was more.

She came by and asked if I liked it and I said most definitely YES. She seemed so relieved she quickly refilled the Saki and the hot tea, all the time bowing quickly. (I think I may have made some brownie points by using chopsticks easily)

When we finished and gave her the card, the meal came to about 50.00 and I gave her a 20.00 tip. She seemed so embarrassed by the tip that she tried to refuse it while bowing all the time. I had to get the manager to tell her I truly appreciated her care and treatment of us and we would most definitely be back and bring friends.

Like others here, I love to leave large tips when the service was a major part of enjoying the meal. I also enjoy leaving large tips when I see someone stiffing a hard-working and considerate server. Theirs is not an easy job and it takes a special person to put up with many rude and cheap patrons these days.

On several occasions I have taken a good friend of mine in SRS transition. When the manager recognized me and I told her about us (with a couple pics we brought) she was fascinated and told us about a Korean show like the Thai LadyBoy shows. We got the A1 treatment all the time we were there. She also told us that she employs 2 Ladyboys, one is the "daughter" of the owner.

Now if only Outback, Chilis and TGI Fridays were all as welcoming.

Sara Jessica
11-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Sara,

A great story, must have been a wonderful feeling and experience. "Muggles"? Now why hasn't someone thought of that before, I love it!

Carol

Ya know, "muggles" has been used before but in all honesty, I started using it before I was aware of it's use elsewhere. I'm a bit of a HP fan and the term fits those who aren't "in the know" about this whole tg thing!!!

As professional as your server was, and how well she treated you and your friend, I hope you tipped her well. It sure sounded like a wonderful establishment to attend.

We did leave a really nice tip. That's one of my hang-ups when I go out in girl mode. If I shop, I buy and if I dine out and am treated well, I tip well. We have enough stacked up against us to begin with, I wouldn't want to perpetuate any poor perceptions by not being a good customer in return.

Sam-antha
11-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't know why, but I always feel, when out, that a restaurant giving good service, can be one of the greatest confidence builders going to us.

Muggles..... wonderful.

~Samm

Rachel Morley
11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Sara,

What a wonderful story. I love hearing accounts of events like this. I too agree with you and the others, it's an absolutely fabulous feeling to be treated as a woman and be openly called "ladies", m'amm, and "she" ... especially in public places and by regular everyday people :)

Hugs
Rachel

Nikki A.
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I was out last weekend with a bunch of the gurls and their wives. First time out to a regular restaurant. I got lost and got there late but the staff treated us all very well. Tip was included in the bill but I still put in a few extra bucks. I even had to ask for directions and on the way back I had to stop for gas. Always treated well

Tracii G
11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I had dinner out tonight as well and it was a great experience.Was treated well by the server.
I don't know if she read me but if she did she didn't act like it.
She did an outstanding job and she got a very good tip.
Glad you and your friend had a great time SJ.

gabe
11-23-2008, 06:20 AM
I love the HP reference. I will have to start using it, consider it stolen.

Jess_cd32
11-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Nice story, ty for sharing.

LaurenInDC
11-23-2008, 10:16 AM
It's always a nice experience to be treated with respect, regardless of gender presentation. I'm also a believer in good tipping (comes from being on the other side of the serving tray). I'm glad you had such a positive experience!

Lauren