PDA

View Full Version : Men being, well....men

Sara Jessica
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
No matter where we might reside in tg land, there's often a need to do things which are typically seen as "guy" stuff. This is whether out of want (ie - hobbies) or need (ie - home improvements) or a mixture of the two as is the subject of this thread.

Yeah, this girl can kind of get into the home improvement thing. Of course she'd rather be in at least somewhat of a girl mode when doing so but I digress. I was in a local big-box home improvement store the other day and happened upon a demonstration of a particular project I was about to embark upon. There were two guys there, a customer and the employee conducting the demo. Both were similar in stature, rather robust let's say, one with forearms larger than my calves. They were hairy as can be but very well groomed, along with noticably large and strong hands. They were men's men, just so into doing guy stuff, playing with their tools, cutting things, talking shop like total experts, making mistakes and then rationalizing them (such a guy thing ;) ).

And you know what struck me? Chances are 95% or better (based on that perilous "1 in 20" statistic) that these guys don't even have to concern themselves with gender issues. They don't wake up feeling they're in the wrong skin and certainly couldn't fathom what we go through. They probably get as fired up about their projects, hobbies, etc. as we might in fashion, makeup, planning lunch with friends, etc.

As for me, yes I can participate in their world but the woman inside of me is never that far from the surface. She can be repressed by distractions...good ones such as family time or just being busy with the chores and projects of the day...but she longs to be out. There probably hasn't been a day in my life when the gender stuff hasn't made its way into my mind and/or expression. That I can relate to, the world I live in, the skin I'm in...not so much to men being men.

Rachel Morley
11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
There probably hasn't been a day in my life when the gender stuff hasn't made its way into my mind and/or expression.
Me too. Ever since I was an adult it's been there to a greater or lesser extent all the time. These days it's even more than ever before.

Teri Jean
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I also see this daily and sometimes it seems that it would be easier to dress and act as I want, but then reality sinks in and I put on the jeans, t-shirt and head off to work. Sometimes the secret is more powerful than the truth. Boys will be boys and we will be both men and women. Fun isn't it. Keli

Miss.Ing Pieces
11-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Like many ladies i assume.. I have a man's man job, never saw it as "compensation" for anything, I just wanted to do something that wasnt behind a desk (for now) and gives me the sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I find that getting dressed up in some ways is an escape from normallity after a hard days work. climbing ladders and tearing stuff apart just to put it all back together again is hardly ladylike. I do find myself sizing people up, coworkers especially. What I see, and I imagine im probably seen as, is just another guy chasing "tail" and fixin equipment..

gender identity is something i live with and comfortable with, For some those are fightin words..

Strange..

Karren H
11-24-2008, 07:58 PM
I just built and hung a mini-french door!! My wife is so happy too!!!!

Nothing like lingerie and power tools to make a guy feel like a guy!!! :)

TGMarla
11-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes, same here. When younger, I really enjoyed things like construction, landscaping, and automobile work. But as I have grown somewhat older, I've found that these projects have often lost their luster for me. I still have male duties to perform, and for the most part, I really don't mind. But there's a part of me that would rather spend the time in femme mode, and the gender issue has always been in the shallow water for me as well.

VictoriaP
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
I understand and feel everything you said. I always am thinking about it. Although my wife knows about my dressing and is very,very supportive, I do not even let on to her how often the thoughts are present in my mind. Thanks for a great posting!

susie evans
11-24-2008, 09:10 PM
i know what you mean some days the girl inside just needs to be out

:hugs: susie

Angie G
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I know the feeling Sara Jessica.:hugs:
Angie

paulaN
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Your post made me laugh out loud and girl can I ever relate to just about all of what you said. I too have a girl inside. This girl inside of me has been screaming to get out more and more lately. I am not sure how much of her I should let out. I have told both of my grown up kids and my land lord that I am transgendered. In fact I almost told a friend of mine tonight that I am transgendered but I didn't. May be I should go bust up some cement tomorrow just to give my hands and nails a good work out. he he.... see you all at the hardware store. arh arh arh. Is that how Tim the tool man says it. I miss that show.

Joy Carter
11-24-2008, 10:36 PM
You know even if I went the TS route, besides doing what all women do, I'd still pick up a saw or hammer. It's kinda my nature. Like lipstick and heels.:battingeyelashes:

Tess
11-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I think a lot of the male type chores I felt compelled to tackle was due to societal expectation...playing the role I was born to play. Mechanical stuff has never been something I was good at or enjoyed but I did what I had to do...and sometimes a real mechanic had to straighten out my mistakes. I pay people to do that kind of work now.

We have a big tendency to stereotype, both male and female roles. One of my daughters just did a brake job on her car, something I've never attempted. Does that make her less of a woman?

LisaElizabeth
11-25-2008, 08:15 AM
"Argh...Argh... MORE POWER!" Heck! I can slip into hose and heels for a night out OR, I can switch modes and remodel the house or rebuild one of my 'collectable' cars! I just recently went to 'Metal Meet' in October (see www.metalmeet.com) Now, I am really excited about getting a few Sheetmetal shaping and finishing equipment!
Does this make my less feminine? I don't think so, there were 3 ladies at Metal Meet, working along shaping fenders and hoods and all that stuff for their hotrods!! SO none of this is really 'Gender Specific' anymore!! (One lady did have pink tape on all her tool handles!!)
Hobbies and liking to do things have become less gender specific over the last 30 years.
If a lady lkes NASCAR, no one worries about it. There are shows on TV now that show the ladies how to do home repairs and improvements!!
Most of the cooking shows are done by males!! I say 'SO-o-o-o What???'
DO what you like to do!! You will be much happier about it.
Lisa E

Jess_cd32
11-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I still pick up the power tools quite often and enjoy fabricating and const. type work, but then its nice to relax and enjoy my fem side as well.
Kinda have a happy medium going here so far, maybe more dressing time wouldn't hurt I guess:daydreaming:

valenstein
11-25-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm awful at home repair and remodeling, I always have been. I'll be around my SO's family and all the guys start talking about soffets and drywall, I feel like my life force is being drained. It's not so much a gender thing, my gf is better at that stuff than I am but it's just not interesting to me. I've lost my grasp on most sports, too, that's more recent, though I do still like musclecars.

I bought some new makeup recently and spent at least an hour the other night applying it, doing a little shade mixing, trying to get it just right. There was something artistic to it that I enjoyed, like painting. I enjoyed the process and the result. It's not as hard for me to tone down my clothing choices as it is to keep to myself about things I do, like makeup or looking at new fashion. It can be isolating at times.

tommi
11-25-2008, 09:32 AM
My day job is manly repairing power equipment and I quite often wonder if I had a desk job how things may have been different.
When I'm overloaded with work I find myself wishing for some girl time just to be clean and wear something soft or frilly.

Maria2222
11-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty comfortable with one foot on each side of the fence, but I have noticed my girl side getting much stronger the last few years.

Heather Dur
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
During my life, seems I have spent most of my working life in alpha male type work, in construction, volunteer fireman and paramedic, civic duties. And most of the time quite feminine underneath my outer cloths. When doing a carpentry job in a isolated spot, as soon as the boss left, out came the skirt and blouse and would spend a wonderful day doing what I love and dressed as I wanted to be. Thus a foot in both worlds.

lexygirl
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I went out to shoot my new XDm 40 this weekend and I was all dolled up. I had great fun. I guess you could call that a man's sport.

Sally2005
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I enjoy building stuff. The only part I don't like is having people like my wife expect I will fix everything. There is no reason a woman can not pick up a tool and do as well. Maybe she can't lift a bag of concrete mix and doesn't want to get dirty, but I hate doing that too...I'm expected too though...and it sucks, it destroys my nails too and makes my arms big. The men's men do wake up everyday thinking about gender and how they can be more manly than the next manly man.

Magickman
11-25-2008, 12:06 PM
For me, it is getting outside for landscaping, hand excavating, and tree trimming/ felling, while wearing a tight mini-skirt.

Can't get much better than that.

Alice B
11-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Many people I know think of me as a man's man, based upon the life and experiences I've had. Yet how little they know. Alice is always just under the surface and with panties on and painted toe nails would they ever be shocked.

Deborah Jane
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I really want to drive my street rod while dressed in a pink sequinned mini dress, full makeup and a blonde wig :daydreaming:
The "red light drags" could be fun, if nothing else i,d confuse the other driver and beat him easily :heehee:

txrobinm
11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
After being disappointed at the wig store yesterday, I thought I'd exercise my manly attributes a bit and go for a bike ride today. 10 miles later (and 430 calories burned, thank goodness), I'm feeling swishier than ever. What gives?

On shooting guns- women are often better shots than men. My wife was ranked #6 in the world for her shooting sport back in the day.

Joanne f
11-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok i can see what you mean by a mans man ( congers up images of big muscular hairy men ) ok a bit unfair but you know what i mean , but i have problems understanding the rest (yes i also have problems understanding anything who ever thought that ) but this is 2008 .
I have had a go at most things sports wise , building wise, and many more things so what would i have not been able to do if i was a woman and before you say the heavy stuff remember it`s brain over brawn , i just do not see how being a different gender changes things that much .

joanne