PDA

View Full Version : What is your major style as a transgendered ?

Nadia-Maria
11-25-2008, 02:49 AM
How would define your mode of being transgendered, according to these definitions by Ekins and King ?

Please do the effort to choose what fits you the best !
For the case you hesitate between 2 or more modes, take the corresponding option, but your are kindly invited to comment your choice.

<< Depending on their relationship to the binary male/female divide, transgendering processes are classifiable into four major modes or styles.
These we term, respectively, ‘migrating’, ‘oscillating’, ‘negating’, and ‘transcending’ (Ekins and King, 2001). >>

OSCILLATING involves moving to and fro between male and female polarities, across and between the divide, as in the case with the part-time cross-dresser.
MIGRATING involves moving from one side of the binary divide to the other on a permanent basis.
NEGATING indicates those processes tending towards eliminating the binary divide – a move to the ungendered: the ‘gender-less’
TRANSCENDING presupposes going beyond the binary divide – a move to the ‘gender-full’

Reference :

Transgendering, Migrating and Love of Oneself as a Woman: A Contribution to a Sociology of Autogynephilia1
By Richard Ekins, Dave King (2001)

http://www.symposion.com/ijt/ijtvo05no03_01.htm

Raquel June
11-25-2008, 04:22 AM
I oscillate, but that's mostly because of work. If I didn't have to worry about working with military contractors, I'd be somewhere in the middle. I mean, I wouldn't be wearing tons of makeup or forms everyday just to try to be more femme, but I'd have long hilighted hair and eyeliner.

I'm confused about the terminology, though. Would a guy with girly hair and eyeliner be seen as "negating" or "transcending" or what? I see those as feminine things, and I don't want to "negate" their femininity, but even "transcending" doesn't seem to acknowledge that these are feminine things.

It sounds like maybe "transcending" is going for more of a bi-gendered or 3rd gender type idea, which is how I feel.

Most people would have to say they oscillate. Even people who are transitioning are usually going to oscillate. I really think the only people who don't do much oscillation are the type of guys who would never entertain the idea of tidying up their eyebrows.

I mean, say you're an M2F on hormones. Your personality will probably oscillate a little and you'll act more guy-like around childhood friends who knew you as a regular guy even if you're not actually dressing guy-like anymore.

But the big difficulty I see with answering the question is there's no distinction between whether or not someone is forced to oscillate because they're afraid of losing their job or something like that. So I guess I'd have to say "oscillate" for work and "transcend" for myself. Even if I did fully transition, I'd be in more of the tomboyish "transcended" category than trying my hardest to be ultra-femme.

MJ
11-25-2008, 07:23 AM
TRANSCENDING as i am a woman . this Autogynephilia junk i totally disagree with it. the shrink labeled me with that. but after two years i got my letter for srs so why mess with it.

Karren H
11-25-2008, 07:29 AM
I couldn't find the box for "I just like to look pretty"? :)

Nadia-Maria
11-25-2008, 08:04 AM

Of course it is a joke, and a good joke. :heehee:
However, beyond the humour, I believe many of us just like to look pretty.

So do I.
And you can do it in either of the 4 modes, though.

As for me I'm mainly "Oscillating", like I voted, since I am a part time TGirl (about a third of all my time) and happy with my male self as well.
However at times I feel "Transcending", what means sometimes, whatever the mix of clothes I'm wearing, I may feel having at the same time a male and a female self, with integrated feelings : clothing become secondary.

On several occasions, Arianna Daniels gave more enlightings about this very special state of 'Transcendance".

TRANSCENDING as i am a woman . this Autogynephilia junk i totally disagree with it. the shrink labeled me with that. but after two years i got my letter for srs so why mess with it.

I can understand you don't want to "buy" this Autogynephilia concept. However it may describe rather well the sexual world of a great deal of transgenederd people.
I have been for most of life a typical instance of an autogynephilic being. But I "pass" also very well as a straight man.

I can't understand why you wrote : "Transcending as I am a woman".
I understand you have been MIGRATING, and have already reached the end of your migration, being a woman. I can't see no Transcendence in your journey, even as a secondary mode, and rather sort of a denyal (Negating) instead , as a secondary mode, if any.

Kelly DeWinter
11-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Karen,

I could not agree with you more ! , It should be added as a option for the poll.

Nadia,

Without humor , how could we do this ?

Nadia,

Everyone has a pet therory, as to why we do this, Every year someone comes out with a new set of 'Lables' such as the ones in this poll, you really don't give enough information to allow someone to make a cognative (thoughtful) choice. I would suggest a link to a site that explains in detail what the definitions mean ?

Kelly

MJ
11-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I can understand you don't want to "buy" this Autogynephilia concept. However it may describe rather well the sexual world of a great deal of transgenederd people..

thats the thing I'm not sexual in anyway it never was ever ... thats why i don't understand the diagnosis of Autogynephilia.

I have been for most of life a typical instance of an autogynephilic being. But I "pass" also very well as a straight man.

and there lies the problem i never was a man oh i had the parts for a man but i never felt like one. the definition of autogynephilic does not apply to me.
the fact that they would let a male who is autogynephilic transition seems scary to me...

I can't understand why you wrote : "Transcending as I am a woman".
I understand you have been MIGRATING, and have already reached the end of your migration, being a woman. I can't see no Transcendence in your journey, even as a secondary mode, and rather sort of a denyal (Negating) instead , as a secondary mode, if any

Transcendence as i feel i am there. i guess it's a state of mind. don't get me wrong if i could have cross dressed it sure would have made life easier thats for sure. but i just could not go back and forth that would drive me nuts. i envy those who can.

geri-tg.
11-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I just want to dress and look as enfem as possible.I feel so lucky to be a crossdresser.

Nadia-Maria
11-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Nadia,
Without humor , how could we do this ?

Hi Kelly,

Most agreed.

And I believe that, without humour and an opening to others' ideas, most discussions (about the why) end in sterile debates, as I can see a few ones degenerating sometimes, even on this good-quality forum. :2c:

Nadia,
I would suggest a link to a site that explains in detail what the definitions mean ?

I agree completely with you.
I agree so much with you that I already gave this link in my opening post of this thread.:love:

Kisses

Annie D
11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
i think that until we take that final step and have SRS, most of us are migrating or changing our feelings and emotions about ourselves. Even with permanent surgery, we would constantly change our attitude about ourselves. From the first time that we experienced the feeling of putting on our first pair of panties, it has been a journey and we have been constantly changing. That is life! Even if we were to decide to purge and vow never to dress again, that is change in itself.

Most of us have set boundaries about our crossdressing and once we bounce up against them, we set new boundaries for ourselves. Yes, definitely migrating!

docrobbysherry
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
My dressing is only an attempt at duplicating the "illusion in my imagination"!:daydreaming:
What would u call that?

( Maybe, "delusional"?) Ooops. Got to go, 1812 Overture just came on the radio!:thumbsup:

Nadia-Maria
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
My dressing is only an attempt at duplicating the "illusion in my imagination"!:daydreaming:
What would u call that?

Hi Doc,

At risk to be overly simplistic, I would definitely imagine you as living on the "OSCILLATING" mode. :2c:

And you are a master of illusion as well.:)

Kisses

Nadia

Carly D.
11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
me... the missionary position.. that's not what you're talking about?? ok.. cool enough...

Ruth
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Nadia, if this stuff works for you, fine. But not everybody needs or wants to get into descriptive systems like this. Forgive me if I don't vote in your poll, but I don't think I fit anywhere in the system.

Kate Simmons
11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Transcending and then some Hon.:battingeyelashes::)

sterling12
11-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm like some of the other's. Anything with the word "autogynephelia" in it, is just a huge turn-off. You do understand that these people just love to put us into their little labeled boxes and then dismiss us as some type of treatable, psychiatric, abnormality. Most of their stuff is written to win them tenure, fortune, and fame....most of it is wrong!

Broadcasting waves "oscillate." I don't accept that transpeople do the same thing. I personally believe in the idea of a "spectrum." All of us make up a part of that spectrum and with time we move around. Sometimes up, down, sideways, backwards, but that's what makes up individuality. Hard to label individuality, Dr. Zucker and his cohorts don't like that! They prefer to just think of us as "Oscillating."

Peace and Love, Joanie

Kristen Kelly
11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I hate labels but NEGATING is the closest thing to discribing me, I have often said I am unique, and only 1 other person voted the same way, but no matter how I dress I act the same, and I am never totally "drab" for I love how I look in women's jeans compared to the baggy men's jeans.

Nadia-Maria
11-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I hate labels but NEGATING is the closest thing to discribing me, I have often said I am unique, and only 1 other person voted the same way, but no matter how I dress I act the same, and I am never totally "drab" for I love how I look in women's jeans compared to the baggy men's jeans.

From all what I read on this board, I tended to believe that there might be more CDers acting in the NEGATING mode.

In a poll worded like this, you have to worry of the power of the words.
NEGATING may seem to convey some negative connotation, whereas it shouldn't. Why negating his/her born gender would be seen as "bad" or "wrong" ??

I believe this poll has few to do with labels, if any at all.
This poll has more to do with behaviour and preferences.

Do you like fruits or chocolate the more ?
If you answer "chocolate", I won't necessarily put on you a label of "chocolate-lover" .... :love:

Nadia, if this stuff works for you, fine. But not everybody needs or wants to get into descriptive systems like this. Forgive me if I don't vote in your poll, but I don't think I fit anywhere in the system.

This stuff doesn't especially work for me, since I could have answered at least both modes out of the 4 (oscillating, transcending, and even a little migrating).

In any case, participation in any poll is not forced.
As a rule I try to participate to all of them on this board, but sometimes I feel not concerned at all, so that I would skip to the latest thread.

Moreover I believe you fit reasonably well would you choose the following option :

<< I don't know or don't want to know >>

I consider this vote as just as important as any other including mine.

Kisses:love:

Mona
11-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Big words hurt my head!

StaceyJane
11-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I guess right now I'm ocillating but I would one day like to be migrating. I switch betwenn male and female a lot nowdays but I would eventually like to live as a woman.

Melissa A.
11-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Reading this started hurting my head, too! Then I looked up a few things. Like MJ, I'm a transitioning transexual, and it just doesnt apply. And as it applies to GID, seems to me, alot of poppycock. Too much emphasis on the term arousal.

We are all sexual beings, to some extent. But the fact that I am a woman, who is attracted to men, makes me just that, albeit born with a major birth defect. It doesn't, in my opinion, make me a person with "anatomical autogynephilia" Maybe I'm misunderstanding the interpretations and definitions I read, But my transition has very little, if anything, to do with sexual arousal. Now that my meds have pretty much destroyed my male libido, I'm more sure of that then ever. Who I want to present as, and the gender I wish to share romance and sex with are the still the same as when I began my transition. So I would say "none of the above". I also know many crossdressers for whom dressing is seemingly simply theraputic and has little to do with sex, for them. Funny, though, my therapist is an activist for tg's, is involved in the re-writing of the Harry Benjamin standards, and also involving herself in the upcoming DSM V. The term autogynephilia has never come up.

Hugs,

Melissa:)

Genifer Teal
11-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Karren, My head is still spinning from reading all the choices and definitions. Thanks for summing it up in plain english so a girl like me could understand. lol

Gen

Veronica27
11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=Nadia-Maria;1508879]How would define your mode of being transgendered, according to these definitions by Ekins and King ?

Hi Nadia

I honestly don't think that any of these options apply to me, as I do not think of myself as being transgendered. I am simply a man who enjoys crossdressing as a means of relaxation, escape and adventure. The four choices all imply taking on a female persona, whereas it is all superficial with me. I am a man wearing female clothing and creating an outer illusion of womanhood, while inwardly remaining my male self. To do otherwise would spoil some of the thrill. Yes, my clothing tends to oscillate, but is that what the poll is attempting to achieve?

All the best

Veronica

suchacutie
11-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I definately want to oscillate, being able to slip easily, and completely, from one gender to the other, effectively being two different people. I don't just put on a dress and makeup, but even in my newness at this, Tina is clearly a unique person with her own ideas and perspectives.

On the onther hand, how can one do that and not find one's self in the position of negating? Just go down the list from moisturizing to eyebrows to hair to nails, and all the other myriad of things we must do to ourselves in order to be able to flow from one gender to the other. Certain things have to change and many of those are "on display" in both genders. So, I think that if one truly oscillates from one gender to another in a serious way, we also must consider that "negating" is a part of the process.

tina

Nadia-Maria
11-29-2008, 04:16 AM
On the onther hand, how can one do that and not find one's self in the position of negating? Just go down the list from moisturizing to eyebrows to hair to nails, and all the other myriad of things we must do to ourselves in order to be able to flow from one gender to the other. Certain things have to change and many of those are "on display" in both genders. So, I think that if one truly oscillates from one gender to another in a serious way, we also must consider that "negating" is a part of the process.

A thoughtful remark, Tina.

From all what I read on CD forums, and elsewhere, I would expect more people to be in the "Negating" position. For instance, you will find many CDers shaving (or epilating) themselves more or less obsessively. I expect some of them somewhat denying their own hairy body, possibly as a testimony of a gender they deny, whereas it's just their own body. A few of them seem to have sort of a phoby of an hairy body.

As for me, CDing is rather a bonus ; it is adding something to me. It essentially "adds" another gender to the existing one. At times I would eventually shave small parts of my body to be able to achieve a better photography, but I remain essentially hairy. Because, it's me too, and I like who I am.