Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crossdressers Economy

London girl at heart... unwritten2108's Avatar

The Crossdressers Economy

Hey girls. This has been on my mind lately so I thought I'd share.

About a year ago I posted a blog talking about living life as a CD and dealing with a potential recession coming. Face it, living part time or full time as a girl can be very pricey, especially when you still need to buy your boyish necessities too. And let me tell you for a college student, it isn't easy.

But now a year later that recession that was supposed to be coming has hit harder than many thought. So how are all of you coping with it? Have you had to cut down on the amount of stuff you buy, or even cut down on dressing to save some money?
    "The ultimate woman...is a man."
    Hugh Laurie - House MD

www.myspace.com/unwritten2108

I was just unemployed and found a job. I didn't buy much but had a lot of time to dress. I need a home-based business.

I have no idea yet. . .am about to be unemployed tho. . .so I'm sure I'll have more time to dress but less money to spend. I'll have to budget my money I suppose

Jacie
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually ... Nope.. Haven't slowed spending one bit!! Last years was my best ever.. Actually made money in the stock market too.. And now I'm back in and stock prices couldnr be better!! . The son dropped out of college with saved me $50,000!! Bonus is coming next month and it supposed to be a good one!! Life is good!! And getting better all the time!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by unwritten2108 View Post
    Hey girls. This has been on my mind lately so I thought I'd share.

About a year ago I posted a blog talking about living life as a CD and dealing with a potential recession coming. Face it, living part time or full time as a girl can be very pricey, especially when you still need to buy your boyish necessities too. And let me tell you for a college student, it isn't easy.

But now a year later that recession that was supposed to be coming has hit harder than many thought. So how are all of you coping with it? Have you had to cut down on the amount of stuff you buy, or even cut down on dressing to save some money?
    What had hurt me was being off for my hip replacement surgery for three months. I used my sick time to cover my time away from work. But things are back to normal. Just bought a pair of Stuart Weisman heels from Zappo's for around two hundred bucks, and they were on sale. Plus taking advantage of sales at Macy's and Bloomies. I think this time of year is a good time to update your wardrobe with all the sales going on. Just doing my part to help get us out of this recession. LOL!!

Huggs, Renee

Huggs, Renee

Fortunatly I still have a job and don't think anything is going to change there I have been away from dressing for about 8 months and ready to hit it full force again I actully made more money last year than ever before

I have cut back on spending and dressing. Cut back on dressing due to having two jobs to make all my payments. Have no time to dress. This really sucks (pardon the word). Don't spend any money due to lack of girl time.

London girl at heart... unwritten2108's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brittanny View Post
    Fortunatly I still have a job and don't think anything is going to change there I have been away from dressing for about 8 months and ready to hit it full force again I actully made more money last year than ever before
    Yeah my hope is I can get that first job out of college. Money constraints have put my chance to dress again on the backburner for the last 11 months. Luckily I get my chance to femme up this Saturday!
    "The ultimate woman...is a man."
    Hugh Laurie - House MD

www.myspace.com/unwritten2108

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Actually ... Nope.. Haven't slowed spending one bit!! Last years was my best ever.. Actually made money in the stock market too.. And now I'm back in and stock prices couldnr be better!! . The son dropped out of college with saved me $50,000!! Bonus is coming next month and it supposed to be a good one!! Life is good!! And getting better all the time!!
    Karren, I sure would like to know who your broker is. On this end I have lost a ton in the market, with hopes of some positive return in the future. Not holding my breath tho.

Being in a business that is not recession proof is tough. I am lucky to have a boss who has seen MICHIGAN Recessions before and SHE does not panic. Yet, bonus is not part of the vocabulary today. I am in the same boat. Tora's budget has been slashed. Still alot of inventory in the wardrobe. Have to live with what I have for now. Would not be fair to cut from the family funds. We will get through. If Washington could just keep out of the way! Heck they are the ones who caused the Banking SNAFU, that caused a world wide recession.

I have some but then there are great buys at your local thrift store. I just spend a little more wisely. Keli

Quote Originally Posted by diane51 View Post
    Karren, I sure would like to know who your broker is. On this end I have lost a ton in the market, with hopes of some positive return in the future. Not holding my breath tho.
    I'm manage my own portfolio... And November before last I cashed out and put everything in a fixed 5% fund and stayed there through the crash.. Just jumped back in last month. And bought stock for 20% of what it was 9 months ago.. I have friends who's accounts are 1/3 of what they were last year..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Aspiring Member
    i'm happy for those whose income has stayed steady. for those having problems, i hope you have enough clothes to last you. be sensible with your buying, we all have bought things we do not need at the moment. but the urge to have new and different items is very heavy. bite the bullet and hopefully things will turn around for you.

I've really cut down on buying clothes, I don't buy any male clothes at all only more Samantha clothes. Same with toiletries, none for him more for her.
    Samantha K
    It's so hard being me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]Now I shout it from the highest hill,
    Even told the golden daffodil.
    At last my hearts an open door,
    And my secret love's no secret anymore.
    [/SIZE]

See Sams pics at;
    http://cid-b4480c99b9b4cdd9.skydrive...e.aspx?lc=1033

Ladies just look for the bargins and use coupons and you will be good.

JCPenney's has a lot of good clothing depending on your size for cheap at times on clearance in fact they have a 75% off going now.. Toss in a 15% off coupon and it makes it even better. You can find some here: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...light=jcpenney

Or you can shop at Kohl's and use the $5 off coupons. For example right now they have some panties on sale for $3 so buy 2 and use the $5 and pay .50 each.

Here's some on ebay (no they are not mine):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20-KOHLS-5-OFF-C...1%7C240%3A1318

Also there are always a lot of womens clothing and shoe deals posted at:
    www.slickdeals.net

*****To the mods I in no way profit from any of the suggestions or links so please do not delete them as I put them there as suggestions to help other.

Karren, you must go with the "buy and homework" way of thinking which works out well. I had a stock market project for my business class. You know the "if you had $10000 to invest..." type deal. This was for December and the first week of January. IF it was real money, I would've been making money.

Currently I still have my job with the company that I've been with for 6 1/2 years. I may potentially have a job offer from another company within the next few weeks/month. I was contacted yesterday about a position that might be opening at this company that I interviewed with last July. For my "Cindy spending", I really didn't buy anything last year and rarely dressed. I did buy a new outfit a few weeks ago though. So, I guess the recession hasn't had an effect in that sense. I've had a couple of creditors cut back on my spending limit though, if that counts.

I'm pretty insulated regardless of what the economy does, just made smart moves along the years and owe nothing on anything.
    As for CDing I plan on buying a few things I need soon but I won't go in over my head, but with this hobby thats not easy.

edit: As for stocks, your biggest returners will always be penny stocks, 100-1000% returns are very common and I've watched a few go way beyond that, (formerly Owens Corning-OWENQ) was at a low of .01 to climb to $5.75, while in bankruptcy proceedings no less.
    Thats how I recouped loses in 2001, just buy some pepto bismol first before you play them.
    Last edited by Jess_cd32; 02-05-2009 at 09:36 AM.

MODERATION is the key

JoAnne Wheeler

I have always tried to be frugal with my femme purchases, even in a boom economy. I had to put my family responsibilities first and that meant sacraficing a lot of pretty clothing. Now that I am widowed and living alone on a fixed income, frugality is of utmost importance.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I'm one of the lucky ones to have a stable job. But I feel for those of you who are on hard times. I hope this downturn turns up here pretty soon!
    The views expressed in this post are not necessarily the views expressed in this post.

Twitter @beth785cd

I was getting more overtime then I wanted and now I getting almost none and that is a few hundred $$$ less each month so it dose cut the shopping down.
    Angie

Just bought 4 body shapers from e-bay, wearing one now at work. No slowing down for me.

I, too, have been hurt by the economic recession that most us us are currently experiencing, but at the same time, I see it as an opportunity to step up to the plate and help out the beleaguered retailers of womens' clothing, shoes, and wigs etc. along with their SA's who have been so kind, helpful and supportive of us cross dressers over the years.

I'm talking about the Lane Bryants, Catharines, Fashion Bug, and Target stores etc. in the US, and the Addition-Elles, Penningtons, Winners, and The Bay department stores (among others) in Canada. All of these chains have reported massive cut-backs in staff and/or store closing in recent weeks and months - a situation which wasn't helped by the disastrous Christmas season most of them experienced. Just today, The Bay here in Canada announced a massive restructuring which will eliminate 1,000 jobs, or 5% of their work force. In US terms, that's equivalent to 10,000 layoffs in that country.

Even Payless and similar discount chains deserve our on-going patronage, but being in the lower end segment of the retail world, they are probably still a bit more immune to the economic downturn. I don't know too much about what our UK sisters are experiencing these days, but I would imagine that Marks and Spencer et al are also suffering from declining sales and profits, endangering their long-term viability as well.

It is probably safe to say that with our laser-like obsession and focus on womens' fashions and shopaholic tendencies, a multiplier of between 5 and 10 can probably be assigned to the ecomomic activity that we cross dressers generate with regard to the purchase of womens' shoes and apparel as compared to the average GG. So, that makes us an economic force to be reckoned with in that retail sector, and I read somewhere that around 30% of Lane Bryant's sales were to cross dressers. And let's not forget the wig stores. Probably 75% of them wouldn't even exist if it weren't for cross dressers.

Let's look at this as our own particular brand of bail-out or economic stimulus package to our supportive retailers in their time of need. Sure, times are tough, and I am not suggesting that we spend recklessly since we have our own backs to cover as well. But let's not all hunker down in our caves either and cut back on our spending altogether, even though it may be considered to be entirely discretionary on some level. We need to keep some of this buying activity going, and not only for the benefit of these retailers - our mental health demands it as well, and that in itself is justification enough for me.

And lets' face it, if these retailers fail, do we really want to go back to the Dark Ages when cross dressing was still an underground and covert activity and we were at the mercy of catalog or on-line merchants specializing in servicing our community, but who also charged exhorbitant prices for their wares since they were the only game in town, all the while preying on our shame and insecurtities?

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I havent slowed down at all, in fact I am spending more than ever. I work for a company that makes utility cabinets for the IT and telecomms industry and we are very busy atm. I am really spending more than I should so I am trying to cut down, but I keep seeing more things that I have to buy likea nice pair of heels or short skirt, lol. I am so wrapped up in the pink fog.
    living the dream

I have enough clothes and shoes

I am now hell bent on wearing it out of the house rather than keeping it in the closet. So that is what I will be doing during this recession. I was hoping to laser off my beard, but I guess that will have to wait.
    Love,

Michelia

"Genius is the recovery of childhood at will." Rimbaud