Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to say to the world?

What do you want to say to the world?

Hello sisters,

A friend of mine is the editor of an alternative monthly newpaper in Portland, Maine. Yesterday I told him my story of recently discovering I am transgendered and asked if he would be interested in an article about my experience, and he said yes...for the very next issue. So I get to write an article, under my femme name, about being TG and about crossdressing which will be read by thousands of regular folk in my region.

It's a rare chance to educate people about who we are, and to advocate for understanding and acceptance. So I wanted to ask, especially because I'm still such a newbie myself, what should I tell them? If you could get one message through to the world at large about crossdressing and/or being transgendered, what would it be?

Please, won't you share your thoughts with me? What is the one thing you most urgently want to tell the world?

Thanks,

Lisa

AKA Elizabeth, Latin Girl
    I would say to them. Accept everyone for what they are. Keep to yourself and worry about yourself, and don't put your lifestyle into mines. I don't care what you do, therefore, dont' care what I do. I will accept you for what you are and accept me for what I am. Plus, clothing does not represents whether I am a man or female, it's just clothing.

I can say more but I won't.

Hi Lisa, I would emphasize that there are millions of transgenedered people out there. Both in this country and all over the world. Maybe you could point out that it's not a "perversion" but that this seems to run in families and it's probably somehow neurological and hormonal in nature. You could mention that we are all perfectly happy to be this way. I mean,some people think we're "lonely" and "sad" and we'll all be "unhappy when we get old and all by ourselves".

Samantha

That we are not what you see in the media. we are not buffoons who use giant water balloons to make outrageous breasts nor are we all desperate psycho killers or bank robbers. We are not all gay. We definitely are not child molesters. We are husbands and lovers, doctors, firefighters, teachers, scientists, politicians, truck drivers, store clerks and any other profession there is. We laugh, we cry, we fall, we get up again. We have feelings. We care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. We are not ogres, we are people just like you

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

That we r NOT perverts! (Most of us, anyway)!

But, Lisa, u must say that WITHOUT using the word "pervert". Or, even any word(s) that imply it!

Good luck with that!

Congrats on helping EVERYONE here!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Some people consider that CDing is an addiction and liken it to smoking sine it is so common. Unlike smaking CDing is part of the personality and may lie dormant for years but will emerge in some form or other eventually and cannot be "got over" like the external addictions. A CDer can never reach the situation of being "one dress away from relapse". Urge people to look to their own addictions.
    Ali Cats Creameries

Home is where the cream is.
    I was born into a life of cream.
    Cream is Forever.

Empathy

It's important to try to communicate how common crossdressing is, but because of the stigma that goes with it, most try to keep it to themselves.

I would ask for empathy. Try to relate to something in you that isn't necessarily common, or to some skeleton in your closet. Then use that understanding of yourself to try and relate to the millions of crossdressers of the world.

Kathleen Ann

....one idea is that the general public meets and comes into contact with TG/CD's on a daily basis and doesn't even know it. The cab driver, the airline pilot, the doctor, the mechanic, the bus driver, the guy at the grocery checkout, the plumber that just fixed your water line.

TG/Cd's lead normal lives just like everyone else, we are just born a bit different but overall nice and decent people. We don't chose to do this or be TG/CD's, its born within us.

Have a great interview, and post the story link when its published, good luck.

Edit: I skipped the posts and responded first, guess we have like minds here now that I've read them
    Last edited by Jess_cd32; 02-12-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Love me.

You don't have to understand me or agree with me...just love me. My life is hard enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    That we are not what you see in the media. we are not buffoons who use giant water balloons to make outrageous breasts nor are we all desperate psycho killers or bank robbers. We are not all gay. We definitely are not child molesters. We are husbands and lovers, doctors, firefighters, teachers, scientists, politicians, truck drivers, store clerks and any other profession there is. We laugh, we cry, we fall, we get up again. We have feelings. We care for our families, our neighbors and our communities. We are not ogres, we are people just like you
    Perfect.

One more thing I would mention is that of all the groups of people in this entire world, we as TG/CDer's are absolutely the most misunderstood group of any by society.

Why would a man want to dress as a woman most wonder about us, and its a very legitimate question for them to ask. The answer however isn't as simple as we'd like it to be, most however that I've spoken to believe its an inborn part of us and to different degrees in each individual. What does one really know about ones own identity when they started cd'ing at 4-7 years of age? Transexual male to females have been shown in MRI scans to have a brain more similar to a females compared to the average heterosexual male, is that a choice? I think not.

The urges an average crossdresser will have to dress can be compared to someone trying to stop smoking, actually the smoking cessation would be mild to most cd'ers compared to stopping the crossdressing altogether when the two are compared. The more people come into contact and understand cd'ers, the less fear they will have of them, as was said we're pretty decent people overall.
    Last edited by Jess_cd32; 02-16-2009 at 08:30 PM.

I like to look pretty Prissy Linda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess_cd32 View Post
    One more thing I would mention is that of all the groups of people in this entire world, we as TG/CDer's are absolutely the most misunderstood group of any by society.

Why would a man want to dress as a woman most wonder about us, and its a very legitimate question for them to ask. The answer however isn't as simple as we'd like it to be, most however that I've spoken to believe its an inborn part of us and to different degrees in each individual. What does one really know about ones own identity when they started cd'ing at 4-7 years of age? Transexual male to females have been shown in MRI scans to have a brain more similar to a females compared to the average heterosexual male, is that a choice? I think not.

The urges an average crossdresser will have to dress can be compared to someone trying to stop smoking, actually the smoking cessation would be mild to most cd'ers compared to stopping the crossdressing altogether when the two are compared. The more people come into contact and understand cd'ers, the less fear they will have of them, as was said we're pretty decent people overall.
    I don't think that comparing crossdressing to smoking is a wise idea since smoking is something that a person decided to start doing, CDing goes much further into a persons make up of who they are.

Smoking is not viewed very favorably in todays society so comparing the two might give people the impression you can stop through will power or a cessation program. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prissy Linda View Post
    I don't think that comparing crossdressing to smoking is a wise idea since smoking is something that a person decided to start doing, CDing goes much further into a persons make up of who they are.

Smoking is not viewed very favorably in todays society so comparing the two might give people the impression you can stop through will power or a cessation program. Just my thoughts.
    Point taken, but I'm also a believer that some of us are also predisposed to smoking, drinking and some using drugs. If comparing smoking cessation to cd'ers (urges to dress) gives a wrong impression to most then I agree wholeheartedly with you.

What then would you use as a comparison to enlighten the public of how powerfull these urges are to us? That was my first thought as a smoker myself, I could relate to it, but you have a good point.

As others have already said, I would like the readers to realize that CDs and other trans-gendered people are just like anyone else. There are extremes (I really don't know what those are), but most of us fit on a nicely rounded bell-curve of typical human beings. We are not any more nor any less perverse than any other group of people. We enjoy a behavior/lifestyle that many people seem to regard as an aberration, but it is nothing of the kind. And the proclivity for crossdressing is practically as old as human beings themselves.
    warmly, Linnea

Chloe Tisdale
    Maybe this sounds a little strange, but I'd want to say "It's natural to feel wary of things you don't understand. What's important is that you stay willing to understand."

Smile

How do you describe an intense desire to understand how a woman feels, or how she preceives the her world,How does Her style and garments feel?
    As I understand My trying to bridge that gap is a poor approximation of the wonders of the female experience. My trying female garments, cosmetics,and accessories to get a hint of what it means to edge a little closer to their world is akin to trying to explain the color blue to a blind person.
    this curiosity,and the feeling that I am missing something that is special and precious since i was very young results in trying to capture the essence of the feminine in copying as much as i am able, unfortunately with disappointing results staring back at me from the mirror.
    many of the Gurls on this forum do a wonderful job of capturing the essence of the feminine, and Honor the subject of our admiration.

Leave me alone. Respect my privacy, uh,,, unless you are a tall single gg, looking for a mate!

Live, and let live. Life is too short to waste on hate.
    Former member of the Georgia Perimeter College GSA. Member of the Atlanta Pink Pistols.

There's no need to fear us and no reason to ridicule us.
    Samantha K
    It's so hard being me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]Now I shout it from the highest hill,
    Even told the golden daffodil.
    At last my hearts an open door,
    And my secret love's no secret anymore.
    [/SIZE]

See Sams pics at;
    http://cid-b4480c99b9b4cdd9.skydrive...e.aspx?lc=1033

Dispel the myths! Draw a distinction between hetero CDers, drag queens, and full TS's. And as trite as it is for us, the rest of the world still needs to hear the "why is it OK for women to wear pants" argument.

Man, there's so much ground to cover... is it OK for you to take over the whole magazine, or divide it into chapters across multiple issues?

Guys (or gals if you prefer), bear in mind that this isn't really "telling the world". As we discussed with the Milwaukee paper, the target audience of an alternative paper is already predisposed in favor of the nonstandard, so it's not like this is our opportunity to convince Joe Sixpack that his churchgoing next door neighbor that he loves to go to the football game with is also your typical crossdresser.

Still, any exposure (wait, that's a totally different kink) helps.

ralph

For myself, dressing is as much a part of me as eating. some times you can cut back or eat a lot less per meal but eventually you just gotta have what it takes to get a belly full.
    I have been a crossdresser for over 50 years now and it truely is a part of me that I have never been able to give up or quit for more than a few months at a time. I gave up giving up several years ago, now I just go with it as it comes up and I am able to fullfil my desire to dress as a woman. I also believe that there are just as many differant reasons for someone's desire to crossdress as there are crossdressers. I appreciate what you are trying to do and wish you the very best of luck in your attempt to do it.
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

I think the best way to tell someone about crossdressers to tell about yourself. Telling the story in the first person has a more compelling story. Especially explaining how you first started. How you discovered yourself. Then lead into how you found others from different walks of life. Explain the closet fear of discovery and how you found a way past that. Explain your experiences out in public.

The best way to educate people about crossdressers is to educate them first about you. Show them you are the guy next door. The guy at the football, basketball or baseball game. Our acceptance is best described by the fact that we are just other guys except we wear women's clothes.

Don't be afraid. Let people know you and you will show a lot of people a sensitive guy who could be their brother or father. Then you have won the battle.
    Michelle

PH, Heels, & Pretty Dress Rachel Lea's Avatar

clothes

Just let me wear what I want to wear, as long as it's not indecent.

You know the garment industry could have a sharp increase in sales if we were more free to purchase and wear
    what we want. It's very expensive to stay on top of all the items I would really need if I was out, what a stimulus package for the economy.

The men don't turn around their wardrobe very often, stuff just doesn't change and not very exciting item, but we girls always need something new, additional make-up etc etc etc..
    Rachel Lea

Please post your article here for all of us to read!

Tara

Want

[SIZE="2"]All I can say is DO NOT JUDGE US, BEFORE YOU GET TO KNOW WHO WE ARE !!!![/SIZE]
    Gale