I'm a member of a particular hobby based internet board. This board only holds a certain number of posts before they scroll off and cannot be read any more. I moved house over the weekend as I had no internet access from Thursday night until Monday morning; as such, I missed the start of the following topic which occurred in this time.

One poster had completed her transition, though I don't know the time-frame for this since I missed the first post. She also has a disability. She was turned down for a job and she commented that she received looks of shock at the interview. She never said whether it was because of her transition or because of her disability.

One responder to this post also claimed to be a HR manager and stated that he or she had nothing against transsexual people but wouldn't employ one if for example they features that gave away their transsexual nature as this would upset other employees as well as customers. Despite the fact that the HR manager claimed not to have a problem with transsexual people, the language used was very negative and this person would be happy to discriminate.

By the time I got to the boards, everything that needed to be said had been said, but the point remains that laws can help, but even with laws the discrimination is out there. But you all know this anyway.

Either way, this incident stirred me to become active. Yes, bats, the time is now and when I get off work today I'll hunt around and see what I can do to help.