Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't You Just Hate When This Happens?

I've had that sinking, sickening feeling of being out of place more times than I'd like to remember--less and less these days, however.
    warmly, Linnea

Today!!!

It happened to me today with the wife!!! But she came to my rescue and said "do you want me to find you something?" Damn...it's a thousand baby steps out of the closet!!!
    Love all the posts...Thanks girls.
    Kris
    Kris

What puzzles me is that this happens to me all the time. If I walk into the women's department or, worse yet, the lingere department in drab, I get all nervous and end up just glancing at a few things as I rush through.

BUT, against all expectations, when I am out dressed I can spend all day browsing through racks of dresses and skirts, and wandering up and down rows of panties and bras.

So the odd thing for me is, all things considered, I am MORE comfortable in some situations out in public en femme than I am when out as a guy! I would never have expected this, and still can't ge over it.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that even if I am not passing and am seen as a guy in a dress, there is almost the feeling that at least I belong in that department because of the way I am dressed.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

happened to me today, walked into the store looked at all the great clothes as my feet took me to browse the male clothes in which I had not even the slightless interest in and walked out, all maybe in less than 5 minutes.

Some days are really easy to just go, browse and shop some days its way hard but there is always tomorrow, sigh!!!

I also experience this, specially since I'm still "undercover"...I would totally have this resolve that I would go and buy something new (mostly dresses) and I would get all excited but as soon as I venture to the women's department I get this cold feeling and that all eyes are on me...Sometimes I snap out of it by psych-ing "I am a customer and my sale is important to them" but most often I turn around and end up sighing and frustrated...I guess it takes experience to muster up the courage...

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar

Smile

It happens to me a lot! I don't know why.. sometimes I have an afternoon where I jump on the tube to Oxford street determined to go to M&S or John Lewis to buy underwear. My success rate is probably 50% of the time and thats usually only after circling the Lingerie Dept. a dozen times. When I find myself pretending to be a lost boyfriend then I know the game is up and I'll change shops! Its a pain in the arse, I don't know why so shy I don't care what the assistants think..
    Maybe Ebay has lessened my resolve seeing as I do so much shopping online. I know exactly how you feel tho!! you definitely not alone!
    Peace through superior dress sense..

High Maintenance Marlena_Sparkles's Avatar
    I used to get that way. Not in a long time though. I got plenty of confidence from all my friends & even some strangers.(yea they help too)! Nowadays I go everywhere as a lady. No problem.

P.S. - I cut out an article title from my local newspaper a long time ago. It goes like this...Don't let fears stop you from pursuing dreams. It's on my fridge & I look at it several times a day.
    Don't let fear stop you from pursuing your dreams

Yeah, been there many times. A lioness on the prowl going into the shops, quickly turned into a fleeing gazellle for no apparent reason other than just plain old chickening out.

Tash

been there, got the t shirt, but not in a long time. I have had SA's tell me how lucky the lady in my life was and what good taste I have in womens clothes, I figured they where just being nice, and don't really care who it's for, but if they will be nice so will I, and buy something from them.
    Tina

I have shopped with my wife both in drab and in womens clothing. I really don't care what other people see or think. I like looking and feeling womens clothing and lingeie on the rack or shelf. If my wife buys some thing, she'll ask if I want anything and I'll add my things to hers and only pay once. Most of the time no one will say anything, if someone does say anything, by respectful and listen and then go on about your business.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

Thanks for all your additional replies, girls.

We are/have followed the same journey with it's ups and downs along the way. However, i wouldn't change it for the world!

Sara xxxx

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I am like Karren, it has never happened. In fact, my late wife used to say that I was more at home in the ladies departments than I was in the mens. I think she may have been right. Certainly I spend a lot more time in the ladies departments, no matter which one!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

I have a slightly different twist on things. I'm not out to my wife, and quite often we go shopping together, mostly to look at clothes and shoes for her. Needless to say, it can be quite stressful helping her handle the merchandise and make fashion decisions--without looking too eager and interested or having a clue--maintaining that level of "normal" male detachment, whatever that's supposed to be. We basically wear the same sizes which makes things seem even worse. But I do have some fun, just can't tell her how much.
    Julie