Thread: Crossdressing and LARP.

Crossdressing and LARP.

Firstly, for those of you who don't already know, LARP is "Live Action RolePlay", with real people playing a roleplay in a specially designed area, with "accurate" clothing, speech and accessories etc..

I was wondering if any of you have experience with LARP's, and how LARP members would react to a CD.

I'm mainly thinking about medieval style roleplay, with me obviously showing up in time accurate dresses etc..

Banned Read only
    Oh yeah, Elisa...not me personally (no Larpers within a 1000 miles of me...)

but wait till you get a load of Zarabeth! Gorgeous!

And a few others,too...and they all seem to get along with their groups really well.

If you're a nerdy enough guy to like wearing shiny armor on a hot summer day, then you surely can accept another whose smart enough to wear pretty gowns and flower coronets. Somebody has to bring the big strong warriors a refreshing tankard now and again, eh?

Hehe.. Well.. It's a good way to come "out" anyway.. *smile*

I'm trying to see if there are any serious LARP'ing going on around dublin or anywhere else in Ireland, but I haven't found anything yet...

Have NO idea - not familiar with that group - but sounds good

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    The medieval and reanaissance stuff I was involved with was martial arts and history rather than LARP.

I gave the Vampire Camarilla thing a go briefly and went with quite a bit of flair but the game itself was pretty dull. A few folk CD'd FtM for that game as players or NPCs but no-one did so MtF (though some weeks I was wearing more womens clothes than male lol so maybe I count as an excpetion though the result was an Androgynous look)

I always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu LARP and wanted to make a Conspiracy X LARP but it hasn't eventuated yet.

I'm not familiar with LARP but I am familiar with similar groups like the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which I was a major player in for years. From that experience I would suggest there may be minor social issues with some individuals but no major issues with most of the people.

Marla

groups like the SCA and LARP are generally very accepting people. I've done both, but haven't gone en femme yet. Of course, I haven't done either one in a few years... But I know the people, and they're cool with it. They know there are better things to worry about. Like who brought the beer.
    The Secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and MISS- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Keep your words short and sweet just in case you have to eat them later.

You can either be Happy, or Right. I'll take happy.

I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary. - The Late George Carlin

Senban
    Battybattybats said - "I always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu LARP"

Wow! I'd love to see someone create a Nyarlathotep costume

Although I'm a seriously long term (twenty six years) roleplayer of the pencil and paper variety (who always plays female characters ) I only ever tried actual LARP once. I think serious re-enactment societies would disallow crossdressing as historically inaccurate although I have photos of a Japanese re-enactment group which allowed female members to play the roles of male troops etc.

But in truth there's not really any difference between my playing female characters in pencil and paper roleplaying games and you wanting to play female characters in live action roleplaying games.
    Last edited by Senban; 03-24-2009 at 09:26 AM.

I spent some time around the SCA folk when I was in college, and while I never attending anything en femme, there were always a couple of guys there dressed in woman's "garb".

As far as LARP, never could get into that, but my AD&D characters have almost always been female.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

I found a UK LARP community called Lorien Trust, which seems interresting enough, but I'm not sure if they would accept me.

Allthough in a LARP, which is not re-enactment, you take on a character of your own choosing, I am trying to figure out if they also accept gender choices.

I wasn't planning to be a part of the actual game, but more as an extra, like a barmaid or something typically female. :P

Senban
    Lorien Trust

Well you won't know until you ask them, right?

EDIT - Read page 46 in the Lorien Trust's Player's Handbook for advice on creating a character. Doesn't say anything about having to choose gender for your character. I don't think they're geared up for the kind of situation you're after though so why not also look into medieval re-enactment groups who often include camp followers and so forth?
    Last edited by Senban; 03-24-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Senban View Post
    Lorien Trust

Well you won't know until you ask them, right?
    Working on it..

Just reading the rules etc first, to see if it is actually something I could be interrested in.

At a first point of view, it appears that the RP is more about the combat, than the surrounding roleplay, and it is the surrounding roleplay that I'm interrested in.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

No one says a negative word!

As I LARP around in my closet!

Would be fun to play a medievel maiden in a period bit tho wouldn't it? Like Maribeth! Lucky girl!!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    As I LARP around in my closet!

Would be fun to play a medievel maiden in a period bit tho wouldn't it? Like Maribeth! Lucky girl!!
    Oh yeah... I just want an excuse to go out without having to pass properly, and at the same time an excuse to wear the two dresses I ordered from www.medievalcollectibles.com (The highland dress and the Bengaria Gown) There's something about that type of dresses, simple, but yet stylish, that attracts me horribly, and I fear that a lot of my money will end up in their pockets. :P

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Senban View Post
    Battybattybats said - "I always wanted to try Call of Cthulhu LARP"

Wow! I'd love to see someone create a Nyarlathotep costume
    I've seen some impressive Migo and Deep-one costumes, even a decent though not-to-scale Star Spawn of Cthulhu costume!

I think serious re-enactment societies would disallow crossdressing as historically inaccurate although I have photos of a Japanese re-enactment group which allowed female members to play the roles of male troops etc.
    What about all the historical crossdressers? Plenty of women dressed as men to go to war and quite a few men, even Kings, would wear womens clothing even when on campain. So you should just be able to find an historical crossdresser to play

But in truth there's not really any difference between my playing female characters in pencil and paper roleplaying games and you wanting to play female characters in live action roleplaying games.
    Indeed!

Senban
    Battybattybats said - "What about all the historical crossdressers? Plenty of women dressed as men to go to war and quite a few men, even Kings, would wear womens clothing even when on campain. So you should just be able to find an historical crossdresser to play"

Good point

In fact on that note it's worth reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett.