Thread: Had a Not-So-Good Experience

Had a Not-So-Good Experience

Hey everyone. I know I haven't been posting much lately, but I have been lurking. Today my girlfriend and I went out shopping, and since I've been in the market for some lingerie, she went into La Vie En Rose to ask them if they allow men/crossdressers to try on their lingerie. The answer? A shocking "No!" This is the first time I've faced/been subjected to any kind of real rejection like that, and it felt awful. Their reason wasn't that bad (they're worried about men and women sharing changing rooms), but I was still very offended and it put me in a depressed funk for most of the day.

On a more positive note, I did get to try on lingerie at a different store (for the first time admitting that I was doing it as a crossdresser, I've tried on corsets before but said it was for Halloween) and I found some that I liked so my extremely generous and supportive girlfriend bought it for me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that negative experience so that anyone who is wondering about La Vie En Rose knows that they should just skip it. I and my girlfriend have both decided we're done shopping there altogether, at least for a while.
    "Why are you wearing those stupid girls' clothes?"
    "Why are you wearing those stupid mens' clothes?"
    --Adapted from Donnie Darko

Gold Member
    Just so you know, most places don't really want people trying on lingerie, I mean especially panties cause it is not real hygenic.

that would have been my first thought
    xoxoxoJennifer Easton
    Mighty bold talk for a one-eyed fat girl!

Yeah, I should clarify. I'm not talking about panties or anything like that, but bustiers, gowns/nighties, robes, etc. (what I was looking for was a bustier). All my girlfriend asked was if it was okay for men to use their changerooms, and the answer was no. Men are not allowed in their changerooms, period. The reason, they say, is for the comfort of female customers but this still did not sit well with me.
    "Why are you wearing those stupid girls' clothes?"
    "Why are you wearing those stupid mens' clothes?"
    --Adapted from Donnie Darko

I would have thought the reason they didn't want a guy (cross dresser) to try that stuff (delicates as it were ) is because you might rip it slightly while trying it on.. I know I hear a ripping (very slight but it is there) sometimes when I take off my shirts (tops)..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Fun Loving Party Girl Ashlie Marie's Avatar
    so Hun I can take it from your story you were not dressed at that time? I used to hate shopping for myself not dressed nothing fit right once I got help and dressed up lol then it was back to the store. but I know that ever since I started dressing all the time while shopping I have never been given a sec look even at Victoria secrets I got right to the dressing rooms and try things on.. good luck on future shopping trips just keep a postive attitude :-)
    ----------------------------------------

All that is important is that you are comfy with yourself --<<--@

Come Visit me: My FaceBook Page

I don't buy it... they sell men's stuff. Are they trying to tell you a man buying stuff in their store doesn't have the same right to try on what they are buying as a woman shopper does! nonsense. Something is not right about what the sales lady said. ...curious to see what their head office tells you.

loves shoe shopping
    Which La Vie En Rose location was this? I've been to the one at Markville Mall in Markham, Ontario, which is a fairly big location, and they have fitting rooms that do not always have an attendant. I've never tried stuff on there yet though (I can never find stuff large enough for me), but like Sally said, they do have a fair amount of men's clothes, so I don't know why they won't allow men in the fitting rooms.

I think I'll email La Vie En Rose through their website and ask if men are allowed to try on lingerie in the fitting rooms at their stores. I've done this with stores in the past, and most emailed me back to say that men are allowed and that they don't discriminate, but one lingerie store in Toronto said that they don't allow it.

I don't know but I never tried on lingerie at all or has my SO at stores... but yeah not sure?

I am pretty sure that they thought there was a good possibility that you two would be having sex in that changing room! Or, they might have experienced previous episodes of shop-lifting that involved two people in a dressing room. Perhaps the policy was a response to a previous incident.

Did you check to see their response if you wanted to go in and try things on by just yourself. Perhaps it would have not been a problem if you changed the occupancy of The Room to one person.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    Last edited by sterling12; 03-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Boycot those stores, sisters

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Silver Member
    I would not return to that store either. You were not treated fairly and they do not deserve your business.

Banned Read only

Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko: That blew my mind. big love. how do you open a pair of sealed knickers?

loves shoe shopping
    Well, I emailed La Vie En Rose and so far, they have yet to send me a reply. Perhaps a second email attempt should be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by amy canada View Post
    Well, I emailed La Vie En Rose and so far, they have yet to send me a reply. Perhaps a second email attempt should be in order.
    You should send another email stating "Did you receive my email on [insert date here]?
    Whenever I have worn a skirt in male mode, there have never been any issues at all.

It's really unfathomable that, in these economic times, stores are turning customers away. Stupid - and no reason for you to feel bad, at all. It's their loss, not yours.

Crysten

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Nicole View Post
    Anyway, just thought I'd share that negative experience so that anyone who is wondering about La Vie En Rose knows that they should just skip it. I and my girlfriend have both decided we're done shopping there altogether, at least for a while.
    Don't discount all La Vie stores! My wife and I routinely enter the dressing rooms together and its never been a problem - and we don't ask. We're not there to try on panties but some things need trying on and spouses approval and customers shouldn't be required to parade around the store to obtain said approval!

I think I'll email La Vie En Rose through their website and ask if men are allowed to try on lingerie in the fitting rooms at their stores. I've done this with stores in the past, and most emailed me back to say that men are allowed and that they don't discriminate, but one lingerie store in Toronto said that they don't allow it.
    I wouldn't want to be a store owner faced with such a question. I would want to say "we don't discriminate" but at the same time I wouldn't want a guy in there entertaining himself with my product.
    I think stores should have policies that can allow for try-on or at least a have a liberal return policy.
    It would be really nice if stores offered sensitivity training and discretionary measures for such occasions. I'm always eyeing the layout in case I do muster up the courage to try something. Some stores are much better than others!

Be patient, they probably need time to assemble a team of experts and a focus group to address this question.