Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Cold turkey

Red face Going Cold turkey

[SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]Hi everyone,

Is it possible to quit crossdressing by going "cold turkey" like you would when you quit smoking? If people quit smoking and don't miss it at all why can't you quit crossdressing and not miss that at all?

Thanks,

Robyn
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Mistake at birth, should have been born a woman[/SIZE]

People who say they don't miss it are probably lying. No matter what they are quitting. They might not crave it anymore but they probably still miss the feelings that thing evoked.

I don't think so. The urge may come back for some. I thought I could quit cold turkey after my Father passed away but it came back a few weeks later and I have not turned back. Maybe some have stopped but why would you want to stop?

Dear Robyn,

From personal experience...NO.

Not sure I would even want to quit now.

April

I tried and it did last for 9 years. Of course my will is strong enough to quit smoking cold turkey years ago after 4-5 years of 1-2 packs a day.

Quitting is not that hard. BUT what happens when you make an effort to suppress the femme part of you? I went into a serious depression and now need meds for it. Starting dressing again has reduced the need for meds. So I would say for many of us, that you can suppress it but at what cost?

Just my experience and opinion of course. I think if you have it, your are stuck with it for life. Suppressing part of your inner self does have a price.

Hugs Edy

No!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Just from the particular situation that I'm currently in I've had to stop dressing as Samantha since October 08 and I'm having a hell of a time without that side of myself not being expressed and have found myself more irritable, depressed, and short tempered than if I had quit a hard drug... I'm not quite sure how long you have been dressing which is a big factor (the longer you do... the more you want too.) or what your reason's are for stopping but I've been at it since childhood and never wanted to stop and could never stop cold turkey for the rest of my life... Sam's just too big a part of me and will always be .... period. (thankfully its only for another 8 weeks or so).

Unfortunately...

if a person has gone cold turkey and never dressed again, they wouldn't be on this message board!

From what I understand it can come and go, but never goes away. This has been true for me these past 50 some years...

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Yeah, I second what others say. Suppression begets depression followed closely by binging, purging, and guilt (at least for me).

I'm much happier with my split persona!

Quote Originally Posted by RobynGirl View Post
    Is it possible to quit crossdressing by going "cold turkey" like you would when you quit smoking? If people quit smoking and don't miss it at all why can't you quit crossdressing and not miss that at all?
    Sure. Much in the same way you can force yourself to stop using a perfectly good arm, or leg. Try not using just your non-primary hand for a couple of hours. Really. Try it! That'll give you just a smidgen of a taste of how it will feel to repress this part of you.

As another poster above noted, if someone was successful in "curing" their CDing, they probably wouldn't be on this forum. But, in all the years I've been doing this, and with all the CDers I've talked to or met, I've not heard of one single CDer that successfully "cured" this aspect of themselves, nor has anyone I have ever talked to.

If there were a cure, the person would be making millions of bucks selling their services. There are a LOT of tortured soul CDers out there. Some of them here on this forum. If there were a "cure", we'd know about it.

Being a CDer is part of you. You can't stop it like an addiction. You can't stop it like it's a habit. You can't eventually get over the emotions of it like a long past ex-spouse. It is _part_ of you, and no amount of trying to stop it will make this part of you suddenly vanish.

Try not using your hand for a couple of hours and see how unnatural it feels. If you can get through that without once accidentally using your hand, try it for a day. That too will give you a clue how good you are at cold turkey quitting CDing. It won't work. Trust me.

Sure it is possible!

How many people do you know that have actually quit smoking cold turkey?

I would say the odds are about as a good quitting crossdressing cold turkey as they are for smoking, or alcoholism, or cocaine, or fast food ...
    Love,

Michelia

"Genius is the recovery of childhood at will." Rimbaud

Quitting Cold Turkey

I gave up cigarettes over twenty years ago and on ocassion someone will walk with one lit and I just want to grab it from their mouth and take a drag. I truely beleive anyone who quits smoking and claims they don't miss it 1) didn't smoke very long, 2) has substituted another addiction for it, or 3) is lying.

I have a friend who started eating hard candy instead of smoking. He traded 2 packs of cigarettes for a large bag of Jolly Ranchers. His teeth are terrible know and and he is diabetic.

Quitting smoking is easy I did it many times. Staying quit is still a challenge on occasion.

I know I couldn't quit dressing and stay quit. It too has been tried.

I quit cigarettes, pot, and cocaine cold turkey 25 years ago. I still drink, but only minimally. I tried to quit crossdressing, but can't. Rots a ruck.

I've quit, cold turkey, for good, never to dress again. Only about 5 or 6 times...

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    I believe that it is a hard question to answer without some more facts.... could I quit if I had to - something or someone that truly mattered to me was threatened badly by it. Yes, I most definitely could, just as I could quit/change a lot about myself if I HAD to. Would I miss it ? YES!! Would I have relapses, probably. In a perfect world, were i get to do what i want, no, I could/would not quit. So it really depends on the facts.

Cold turkey is pretty tasty and makes a great club sandwich, but I don't think it applies to CDing. I'm really starting to believe the solution is to embrace it and accept it. Only then will the nagging desire loosen its grip. Like someone else said, its like trying to avoid using one's arm for the rest of your life. Just accept that the arm is there and use it. Try to suppress it and it will return 10 fold and you will have lost the time you could have used to learn how to deal with it. In my case, I started thinking about what life is about and what if I was supposed to CD for some spiritual reason...and never did?

I quit smoking cold turkey over 20 years ago but now after a good meal or when I drink a cold beer I want a cigarette sooooooo bad.
    I quit dressing so many times I've lost count and every time the urge came back and each time it took less time to return. I will never quit again.

Renyta

No!
    Amanda

I tried a few times, but to no avail. Now, I came to terms, and have no intention of quiting again.

One of my early heroes was the jazz sax player John Coltrane. Trane was a huge talent, but at one point he was also a junkie and a bottle-per-day alcoholic. One day, he locked himself in his room, and told his wife and mother to just bring him food and leave him alone. When he left that room, he had quit dope and drinking. He went on to get interested in Eastern religions, and was a very spiritual person.

In spite of the above, he could not stop smoking tobacco - the addiction was too strong.

So people can quit addictions cold turkey, but not everyone can quit every addiction. There are things that are in so deep that they just can't be rooted out.

CDing is something that's been a part of me for as long as I can remember. I very, very seldom acted on it, but it was always there. At the age of 35, I acted upon it.

So as country folks might say, the cow's out the barn now.

Quite simply, I think no. For the very same reasons so many of us can not explain why we were attracted to femme things in the first place with a compelling drive. It's apparently part of our inner-being, and will be with us as long as we live.

"Resistance is futile..."
    Julie

quit cold turkey!!just dont purge....
    where has all the glamour gone?
    marlene dietrich is my idol

In my mid teens, oh I'd say from 13 to 15 I counted days, then weeks and months since I had dressed even a little. I think I went something like 2 years between. I though about it every day, I was obsessed with it. Each night I would go to bed and be grateful I had made it another day...

After 3 purges, that was still the longest I have gone despite my hardest efforts...

Once we start, I don't think we can ever quit.

Meghan
    "No matter how far you've gone down a wrong road, turn back."

~Turkish Proverb

I think it depends on how much you crossdress in the first place. You probably could do it, but the urge will probably still be there.

Me? I haven't dressed in a few months and at the moment it isn't eating away at me and I could probably go quite a bit longer. But to say that I no longer have any interest in female clothing would be a big fat lie. There are just more important things going on in my life now that crossdressing doesn't seem so important.