Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy & ride a womens bike?

Would you buy & ride a womens bike?

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low top tube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

Or maybe I should just ride my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA!
    Last edited by KateSpade83; 04-13-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Saskatchewan, Middle of the Canadian Prairies
    I bought a ladies bike at a garage sale and i rode it as a man to work. Someone metioned to me once it was a womans bike all I said was yep and rode on. They are easier to get on and off of regardless of what you are wearing LOL!
    My Father is male, my Mother is female that makes me 50/50!

Quote Originally Posted by KateSpade83 View Post
    Yep! I already have three of them! But I really want one in bright pink.

My all-male serious-bike-riding buddy saw my bikes in the garage last week and said, "You really need a new bike. Those are junk, and besides, they're women's bikes."

I said, "You know, I've always wondered about that. After all, if you're going to fall forward, do you really want the family jewels smacking into that bar?"

He thought about it, probably about how it has happened to him more than once, and said, "You know, I never thought about that. But you're right, it makes sense."

So, yeah, I plan to buy a woman's bike fer sure!

There is one thing I do wonder about though. When you're riding in a skirt, how do you keep the wind from blowing your skirt up?
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

A properly fitted sized frame will always fit better than a generic 'womens specific' generic frame. The problem is the style of frame you are thinking of is not sized, its just a set top tube length and seat tube height so it will never be as comfortable to ride and could cause you pain if you try to ride it very long. Therefore, no I would not ever get a womens bike. Also a high quality womens frame still have the same style top tube just different length and some different angles. The other option you could look into is a compact frame style road bike it will have a sloped top tube instead of a conventional horizontal top tube.

I,ve ridden several women bikes

If I wanted a bike then yes I would buy a ladies bike, I'd buy a pink one to match my pink trainers leggings and top.
    Samantha K
    It's so hard being me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]Now I shout it from the highest hill,
    Even told the golden daffodil.
    At last my hearts an open door,
    And my secret love's no secret anymore.
    [/SIZE]

See Sams pics at;
    http://cid-b4480c99b9b4cdd9.skydrive...e.aspx?lc=1033

Mostly Harmless...
    I'd gotten the chance to as my mom offer to give hers to me for my working trip in the mornings. However I could not accepted it as the mornings were already cold and icy, it would have been too dangerous to drive around with that bike in the mornings when it was dark and one could barely see where one was going already on foot.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

Banned Read only

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low Toptube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

Many women that ride wouldn't be caught dead on a women's bike. However, look at it this way: a traditional triangulated frame would give you an excuse to go shop for a skort...

We have a couple at home so I just use on of those when I want to go riding enfemme...

Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I have a men's but would ride a ladies anytime. Now a days it makes no difference. I ride mine several times a week at dusk en femme. Good luck. Wal-Mart has some cheap fairly good ones.
    ]Teresa M.

Aspiring Member
    One thing about the woman's bike, if for some reason your foot slipped off of the pedal, you won't have that bar there to cause discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    We have a couple at home so I just use on of those when I want to go riding enfemme...

OK Karren, you just look like the ultimate soccer mom. Absolutely convincing, one of your best pictures in my opinion!!!

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low headtube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

There's been much debate about dressing it up at all costs versus being more casual but this proposal has to take the cake. I can think of no good reason to want to bike in a skirt suit. If transportation other than a car is required to get around, I'd suggest taking a bus.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member

I Did & I Do

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low headtube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

I have two bikes one womens & one mens I ride the womens most
    of the time. When we go camping thats the one I take on the
    back of the motorhome.
    .................................................. ...........thanks...........ORCHID

I guess if one wants to perpetuate the binary gender myth of society. I can't think of any other reason really. It's about as pointless a riding a horse with a side saddle in my opinion. It never did make any sense to me anyway why the boy's bike had the crossbar, since boys have the family "jewels". I think the curved bar was maybe because girls wore dresses which is mostly moot nowadays.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Gold Member
    If your going to ride as a girl then get a girls bike, heck all bikes should be made the same any ways, I have smacked my n**s on that bar many times!

My bicycle license says "sissy" on it. I've owned and rode three girls bikes over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Macaw View Post
    I have a men's but would ride a ladies anytime. Now a days it makes no difference. I ride mine several times a week at dusk en femme. Good luck. Wal-Mart has some cheap fairly good ones.

Bite your tongue! Wally worlds best bikes are not equal to the least of a decent bike shop's bikes. listen "If" you are serious about riding then the 2 things that you want are quality and fit. A woman's specific bike is designed with an eye towards the difference between a woman's body dimensions and a male's body dimensions. Go talk to a reputable local bike shop, you wont be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon B. View Post
    One thing about the woman's bike, if for some reason your foot slipped off of the pedal, you won't have that bar there to cause discomfort.
    Actually talking of discomfort... Try riding a long distance tucked!! Really uncomfortable!! Need one of those big silicone seat covers!! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Semi Sane innocent angel
    My first bike was an old school schwin bike. Second bike was an BMX torcher master. It had that hard plastic seat. Every once in while when you hit a bump, the seat would angle up.
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

I don't think anyone had riden a bike in a skirt since Schwinn stopped making bicycles in Chicago, which would have been around 1960.

Do you have a parasol to go with the outfit?

Just kidding...
    Karen Francis

Mostly Harmless...
    Actually talking of discomfort... Try riding a long distance tucked!! Really uncomfortable!! Need one of those big silicone seat covers!! Lol.
    How long's a long distance? I've been delivering mail with a bicycle for the past year with it being tucked away without a problem, in fact it feels better than without. Maybe I'm just strange that could also be it.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    I ride a Whyte 46. So as I'm riding it that means it's a girl's bike.

Sarah...

What a wonderful idea

Riding a bike through the countryside with the sun shining....pretty summer skirt with pink pumps and a pink t-shirt......hair blowing in the wind.

I'd have to stop every so often just to show I can be dainty and get off and on in o such a feminine way.

That's a winner with me.....

Gender distinctions in bicycles have become blurred in recent years. Some of them, gee whiz, you can't tell for sure if they're male or female.
    I worry though, leaving male and female bikes together, what they might get up to.
    In a few months time you might hear the patter of tiny spokes.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

I understand, I tucked under my male clothes once and rode my motorcycle sixty miles and thought the darn thing was going to break off. Wished it would for a few miles LOL