Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaining more social acceptance

"Look at the posts and what do you see? Do you see people trying to figure out how to live as transgendered people in a non-transgendered world, or do you see people trying to be deceptive? Do you see people who have been hurt and are trying to deal with it, or do you see people trying to be mean to others? Do you see people with a sense of humour or a bunch of dour angry people who know the One True Path? Do you see people trying to have a little fun and enjoy life, or do you see a bunch of hurtful people?"

Crossdressers are people, non crossdressers are people, rapists are people, serial killers are people were all people !!! Lighten up and don't be so judgmental!!!!!!!!!!!
    Surely we shoudn't have to defend ourselves on this site!!!!
    L&P
    Mariej
    xxx
    Last edited by mariej; 06-30-2005 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fractlgrrl
    We need it because not everyone is as strong as you, Amelie.
    I might have overstated my opinion.

Seeking social acceptance is fine if that's your wish, and I encourage and congratulate you. It can only help all of us.

Not giving a damn is ok too, if that works for you. It does for me, but I would never push it on another.

Both choices take strength. Let's remember that we're all sisters in this!
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 06-30-2005 at 03:20 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

Education is the answer!

Hi all,
    I strongly believe that the day will come CD will be accepted. Please it is only MY humble few.
    The way I see it, I am sure there are a lot of very studied girls on this Forum. I think to write Editors letters in Newspaper and so on, or even some article about CD and being Gay.
    Please don't stone me for this remark, but the wide puplic still thinks: bloody poofters.
    Sorry I am so blant, but this I believe is the very first hurdle to overcome.
    So public education in this direction is a start I think..
    Just my thoughts,
    Love and big hugs to all,
    Norbie
    TRUE FEMININE = TOTAL WOMAN!

education is the key to understanding.
    it wasn't all that long ago that being gay or transgendered
    were considered to be mental disorders.look how far we've come.
    as science learns more about genetics,it will be discovered that
    nature plays a large part in who we are.be patient.
    hugs,karen.

Quote Originally Posted by mand
    So how do you gain more social acceptance?................I know this is much easier said than done, get out in to the world and show people that we are nothing to fear, I think it's our secret lifestyle that is our own worst enemy.

love mand xxx

Hi Mand

You’re right we are our own worst enemies; while ever we hide away people will wonder what we have to hide. The gay and lesbian community took the bull by the horns; it’s reached the point its no big deal to admit you are gay or lesbian. Cross-dressing is the final taboo, and that’s up to us as a community to rectify.

Cindyxx

Departed
    It will be done at a generational level. No one in my generation is going to change their attitude towards CDing enough to matter. The kids today will raise more tolerant and worldly-educated kids and so on. Each successive generation will relax a bit more on our Victorian beginnings. TV, the Internet and music all have helped in making the necessary strides to accomplish this. But don't expect the baby boomers to wake up one morning thinking, "You know what? Crossdressing really isn't that bad at all!"

First, the public needs to become aware of gender, how it differs from sex, and the non-TS population in the TG spectrum. It would help if DSM IV didn't say that we don't exist. :mad: Then, of course, people must come to believe it. I'm guessing that it will take another 50 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by karen marie
    Education is the key to understanding. ... be patient.
    Up to a point. There are always those who won't be educated. I don't have time to be patient, but things are still much better than they were 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie M.
    It will be done at a generational level.
    I think so. Ours was the generation that began the acceptance of lesbians and gays, an incomplete process.
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 06-30-2005 at 03:09 PM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Ann
    I think so. Ours was the generation that began the acceptance of lesbians and gays, an incomplete process.
    We will finish it... even if I have to do it single handedly

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by FionaAlexis
    Emmi,

Doubt there were too many crossdressers in Mao's China or on the Starship Enterprise - I'm thinking sneaking back to my cabin to slip into Uhuru's uniform. Oh bum, I've picked up Sulu's by mistake again!

Fiona xx
    [size=4]Actually, Scottie wasn't against slipping into a skirt on occasions[/size]

[size=4]It's no a skirt, lassie, its a kilt![/size]

[size=4]Oh, sorry[/size]
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

I agree with the idea that if you want acceptance, you go out and show the folks you're not a freak or a perve, or whatever.

I would be the first (well, no, there are others that already do this so I can't be first) one out and about in skirt (no wig) if my wife would let me. You don't know (well maybe you do) how bad I wish I had that freedom, but I love my wife more.

I can't see letting what anyone (other than my wife) may think stop me from doing something not illegal that is not hurting anyone.

If you don't have anyone stopping you, other than you, then go on, get out there. Society in general will not do it for you, especially if they are unaware of our existance. And believe me, many are unaware. Just like we were unaware that there were others like us when we were growing up. And many are unaware that we are not perverts.

Only you know if you've a real concern about going out, and only you know if it your own internal fright.

As I mentioned above, there are those of us out and about everyday in thier communities. What happens is that the folks see them all the time, in good light, and it becomes more the norm. Pretty soon, hardly anyone pays attention to what they are wearing.
    DonnaT

Eileen1969

Arrow I believe...

education would be very good for society at large! teach these people in our communities that we are special and a blessing!
    "Love my legs and envy them...."
    "Love is all I need....
    "Sexy and know it!"