Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What women say

What women say

You might find this amusing. I certainly do.

Here is something that has happened to me repeatedly. Quite a few times, in fact.

Women who I don't know approach me when I am dressed. They say, "You look better in a skirt than I do." The language of their comments is remarkably consistent, and hardly varies at all. The women are quite pleasant, and not sarcastic.

I just smile and say, "Thank you."

Like anyone else, I appreciate a compliment. But I wonder if there is something of a deeper meaning in what these women say.

What do you think about this? Is there something here that I am missing? Or do I simply look good in a skirt?

By the way, I favor rather tight skirt styles, that hug my hips and thighs.

I've got that one a few times too . . . and comments on shoes.
    If I had to guess, I'd say that they want to say something to us, some thing to show that they think we are all right, something to say that they are cool and sophisticated and willing to talk to a cross dresser. In seeking a topic they fall back to legs and shoes.

San Francisco girl
    I believe that it is the conversation itself that is relevant, not the actual subject. I find genetic women coming up to me often, making a compliment about my clothes, my makeup, or even my hat. I always thank them, and tell them that I appreciate their comment.

What I think is really going on is that some women appreciate us, and they acknowledge us by making a random compliment.

It is wonderful when it happens, and always brightens my day.

Wendi

I get it by women too and some get jealous.I was shopping today for a sexy black dress,a woman about my age side said I looked better in the same dress she was trying on

I agree with the others so far (Kimberly, Wendi, Gretchen).

Women often open conversations with other women, including strangers, by giving them a compliment. And typically the compliment will be more "that looks so good on you" than it will be just "that looks so good."

By saying it to you, in the form that they are, they are recognizing you as a crossdresser and trying to appropriately invite you into a dialog.

The customary woman-to-woman response would typically include:

"Thank you!" then some tag back to where you got it (sharing), "I got it at Macy's on sale" or "I've had it for a long time, I can't even remember where I got it" then involving her by either asking a question or replying with a compliment, "Do you think it is just a little too short/long?" or "That's so funny, I was just going to tell you how great your dress/purse/earrings looked on you."
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

All the above is true but one fact remains, you are not married to them and you are not a threat to them. You are a curiosity and they want a closer look. They would be less likely to compliment a strange woman in the same manner.

It's official I am a curmudgeon
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    I've got that one a few times too . . . and comments on shoes.
    If I had to guess, I'd say that they want to say something to us, some thing to show that they think we are all right, something to say that they are cool and sophisticated and willing to talk to a cross dresser. In seeking a topic they fall back to legs and shoes.
    I Agree 100% Kimberly

Quote Originally Posted by wendiwoman View Post
    What I think is really going on is that some women appreciate us, and they acknowledge us by making a random compliment.

It is wonderful when it happens, and always brightens my day.

Wendi
    Not only that, but, A woman recognizes the effort that went into trying too look good in women's attire.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    The customary woman-to-woman response would typically include:

"Thank you!" then some tag back to where you got it (sharing), "I got it at Macy's on sale" or "I've had it for a long time, I can't even remember where I got it" then involving her by either asking a question or replying with a compliment, "Do you think it is just a little too short/long?" or "That's so funny, I was just going to tell you how great your dress/purse/earrings looked on you."
    Great advice, I usually start by trying to find something to compliment them on.

I've had conversations started about my purse or skirt, but, usually its " You get around better on those heels than I do ", I usually wear a 5 inch heel
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

I get the same, but it is always my legs. They say "you have better legs than I do!" At least that is what I used to get until I changed my hair style. Now I also get it on my hair. I also get asked out quite a bit. Which NEVER happens in guy mode.
    Love,

Michelia

"Genius is the recovery of childhood at will." Rimbaud

It is somewhat more than a customary remark though because you are the one wearing the skirt/dress whereas they are most likely in pants. So they recognize the extra effort involved in appearing more feminine. It is also a reflection on women's dressing habits and body issues. Many women are reluctant to reveal their legs because they do not match up to the high ideals of beauty. Hence it is a remark about your bravery to show off your legs.

If you were an actual GG then the compliment would most likely be directed towards your hair, handbag, shoes etc.

As men we do not normally compliment women because that is usually reserved as a seduction routibne. But en femme you should feel comfortable complimenting women without them thinking you are hitting on them.

That's awesome.... never experienced that yet....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Yes me too. Have gotten comments about toes, hands, clothes, etc. I was at the doc Thursday & forgot to remove my toe nail polish & the lady gave me the strangest look & said she'd seen most things but never a man with painted toes. Told her my daughter did it as a joke, did she believe??? She said she loved the color, just not on me & that my feet looked better than hers. The joy of being a Tgirl LOL.
    ]Teresa M.

From a GGs perspective...

It's a physiological fact that my GM SO has better legs and a firmer bottom than me. I, like many GGs, have a layer of subcutaneous fat that tends to cellulite and flab. My SO has muscle tone and no excess fat (something I've noticed even in overweight GMs) on his legs or bottom. Therefore my CDing SO does look better in certain clothes - tight skirts, leggings, tight jeans, mini skirts, sexy knickers etc than I do (although obviously I do still look fantastic!).

The other thing I've noticed is that my SO might wear something I'd never think of wearing in colours I'd never wear and lengths I'm far too demure for! When I see a look come together I am on occasion very slightly jealous in a non-jealous sort of way.

I don't believe the compliments are sarcastic, just well-meant, so do enjoy them.

Last edited by Sarah_GG; 04-24-2009 at 06:43 AM.

I get this now and then, whether it is the outfit or makeup, and it does make you feel good. I try to compliment women when I see them try to look good also.

Keli

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    All the above is true but one fact remains, you are not married to them and you are not a threat to them. You are a curiosity and they want a closer look. They would be less likely to compliment a strange woman in the same manner.
    It's official I am a curmudgeon
    I am in agreement, yet one other fact remains.
    Most women have something about themsleves that they are not pleased with; legs, hips, facial features, waist, hair, etc. .
    Women also use these type of commits to break the ice for friendship. So I would say, for those of you who have the courage to go out in puplic to accept these commits as they are intended and that would be compliments.

I haven't been out enough to collect such lovely comments but my wife insists I have better legs thatn her. On the few occasions that I have been out, I have received the usual "oh wow! [jaw drops and fingers on cheeks] you look amazing" so I guess I should be happy about that.
    Regarding what is written above: Avoid friendly fire, it causes unnecessary tension. Seek clarification if theres any hint of misunderstanding.

Take care.

I have had a few nice comments from women while out shopping, more from men though. I will say, I have had more positive reactions/comments than negative. It really is a confidence booster when you here one from a woman. Men.....they just want to get into your panties.

My wife tells me that I look better in skirts than she does. Does that count? She really doesn't like her legs.

At this one place that I used to work at, we could wear shorts during the summer. A couple of women that worked there and a couple of gay guys that worked there used to say to me "you have really nice legs for a girl". I would just say thank you. None of them knew about by crossdressing.

I have yet to experience a negative reaction when out "en femme", and I ascribe this largely to the care I take in dressing both stylishly and age-appropriately while conducting myself in a lady-like manner out in public.

Even when I am "read", I get the sense that GG's appreciate the fact that I have done my utmost to emulate them rather than come across as a mockery of them or a caricature.

I am often better dressed than they are, and I am sure that irony is not lost on those SA's in women's clothing stores who are typically in pants, jeans, tee's and runners, whereas I invariably wear dresses, skirts, hose, and heels i.e. more in line with what is considered traditional female apparel compared with what they are wearing. This seems to create some sort of sub-conscious bond, with me being treated as an "honorary" GG during the time that I am interacting with them.

I really can't put a finger on this or give a concrete example of what I am talking about - it is more of a vibe that they give off which hints that they appear to be genuinely intrigued with me rather than being put off, and they seem to go out of their way to be nice and make me fell comfortable within their environment. And I believe that this has a lot to do with a kind of subliminal kinship which may be related to the underdog/victim type of bonding one sees in the "Stockholm Syndrome" which occurs in some hostage taking incidents.

Whatever the reason, it certainly adds to the enjoyment of my shopping trips "en femme", and I now look forward to interacting with SA's and fellow women shoppers as the occasion arises, rather than being terrified by the prospect as was the case when I first began going out in public.

The one thing I look forward to is the GG's coming up to me and making wonderful comments about my clothes, legs, hair or whatever they liked about my appearance, to me GG's naturally notice things about other women, and us as crossdressers since we are wearing feminine attire, and women always say nice things about what appeals to them, that is one of the many things I appreciate about GG's. We need to take lessons from the GG's about saying nice things to other peaple.

If that wear to ever happen to me.. I don't know what I would do.. probably float away...
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

After reading all of your posts, I think they are all relevant and meaningful,

but I have to agree with Lorileah. GGs are interested in actually seeing a guy

in a dress who has the guts to be out in public. The compliments/conversation

may just be an ice breaker to check us out closer - they may compliment us,

and be amused by us, but deep down, they would not want to be married to

us.

JoAnne Wheeler
    "I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

Banned Read only
    It's not hard to look better than real women these days.

Aspiring Member PrettyFlowingGown's Avatar
    I've heard it from ladies the both times I've been out so far. On my first night out a GG came up to me and said "Thats a very beautiful dress you are wearing, but if I bought one it probably would'nt look as good on me as it does on you". I was speechless after that, and on saturday night I was wearing a long flowing gypsey skirt, and a GG said to me "You look so pretty in the skirt, I wish I could look as you when I go out".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I love my gorgous flowing evening and ball gowns. I love swishing in them, and feeling how beautiful and shimmering they are. I love to feel like a princess. I love to be elegant, feminine and ladylike.

JoAnne Wheeler wrote:

"The compliments/conversation may just be an ice breaker..."

YES!!!

But take one step back.

My outfits are devices to break the ice. What woman will not be curious about the man in a skirt and heels? Without my having to do much at all, I have found a means to get women to approach me and initiate conversational exchange.

Since I am a little shy, by nature, this is my way to bring the women to me. And... it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda G View Post
    It's not hard to look better than real women these days.
    Hi Melinda

How you think this will help

I don't know how you think we can look better than real women that's an impossible task We can look different but not better

I am sorry but "Better" gives the impression you are very judgemental of how women dress

I hope this is not the case ?
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations