Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q: about strangers photographing you

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar

Q: about strangers photographing you

After a local GLBT "Prom" night last night, some of us went out to the local club to dance (*more*). Anyway, while I was dancing a table full of foreign students asked if I would pose with them for some photos. I did, and I don't really care too much about that. In this case it was obvious they wanted a picture with the TG lady .... I've had this happen to me most of the times I've gone out lately. This is Iowa and seeing a CD/TS out dressed is somewhat unusual. My friends thought it was rude.

I'm wondering if others have this experience while out dressed, do people come up to you and ask if you would pose with them? Do you think it is rude ?

Aspiring Member
    No, I have not had anyone ask me to pose with them and take a picture. No, I do not think that the people who asked you to pose with them were rude. Whether they wanted to show their friends back home one of the "sights" in America or if they just wanted a picture to remember their outing in Iowa should be considered flattering. When the pictures are reviewed upon their return to their native land, I'm sure that you will produce an interesting conversation. If you had had a camera yourself, you might have asked them to snap another for a memory about some fun-loving people who shared some time with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleneT View Post
    I'm wondering if others have this experience while out dressed, do people come up to you and ask if you would pose with them? Do you think it is rude ?
    If someone approached me asking to take a photo AND I did not sense that it was a "freak show" photo, I'd be happy to. I don't care if it is a "topic of conversation" photo or a "look - I met a crossdresser" photo. So long as I don't get the impression that it is the "whoa - check out the freaks you meet out there" kind of thing, I'd be happy to be their captured memory and topic of conversation. I'd probably ask to take a few for my self. Why not?
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar

It's nice

if they ask but truth is we get our photos snapped practically every time we're out in a crowd. Ever notice how many people suddenly have to make a phone call when they spot you?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Nope... and they couldn't afford my modelling rates... lol
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Ive been in pictures and I didnt think it was rude.Im sure in a certain way it can but,some people just think you are interesting.I dont think there is anything wrong with the people who are curious and respectful about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I was asked for a picture a couple of weeks ago and I obliged. I don't think it is rude, I used to get asked to pose for pictures when I worked at Bowlpex. So far all of the girls have been from the UK. I am quite happy to pose for photos, I quite like the attention.
    living the dream

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Never been asked for like that, but I have asked strangers to do it to me
    ~Samm
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Aspiring Member
    If you go out in public it goes with the territory... every body seems to be carrying a camera these days.

Although I have not gone out in public solo* for a long time, when I did, I have had my photo taken on occasion. I enjoyed the attention because I was having fun.

As to "freak show", there are a few individuals in the city who go around town in broad daylight wearing very frilly sissy maids dresses... the whole nine yards! I have seen the photographs. And they have been asked to pose with and for tourists and were glad to oblige. Lesson in that somewhere...

Of course, if one is uncomfortable being out and about, one may regard being photographed as rude, an invasion of privacy... and even if you are cool with yourself I realize many will feel that way for other very good reasons. dd
    Last edited by Deedee Dupree; 06-29-2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: solo*

If one is out and about there is no 'reasonable expectation of privacy.' Which means that if someone wishes to take a photo they are entitled to do so for personal, artistic or journalistic reasons. The images can not be used for commercial use without the consent of the subject. It is nice when someone asks permission to take a photo, I have been asked a few times and have always consented.
    The time I remember best was a few years ago when I went to a gathering of Emerald City in Seattle, we were having dinner when a bachelorette party came through and the girls asked to be photogaphed with us, it was good fun for both groups of girls.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

On everyone of our past 37 crossdressing cruises, our group on a formal night before dinner is posed by the ship's photographer usually on the atrium circular stairs. As we wait for the pictures to be taken there are always at least 100+ other passengers taking pictures and often asking us to pose with them for photos. This is called educating the public. Our group is usually the best dressed of any group and very dignified. We will do it again on our upcoming May 10 Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Unfortunately the cruise is sold out.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Banned Read only
    Oh Lordy! I absolutely hated being made to pose for piccies with that crowd of horribly ugly and bad mannered young women at the bachelorette party in that club in Manhattan last summer...

Oh yeah...hated it.....

Aspiring Member

Ot

Hi Melanie, I have been aware of the Dignity Cruises(right?) for a long time and when I fully retire (soon) I would love to attend one of them. Been on my short list of things to do as well as the NOTG. Read the book too, many thanks to you and your SO for that... very helpful. dd

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
    On everyone of our past 37 crossdressing cruises, our group on a formal night before dinner is posed by the ship's photographer usually on the atrium circular stairs. As we wait for the pictures to be taken there are always at least 100+ other passengers taking pictures and often asking us to pose with them for photos. This is called educating the public. Our group is usually the best dressed of any group and very dignified. We will do it again on our upcoming May 10 Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Unfortunately the cruise is sold out.
    Last edited by Deedee Dupree; 04-25-2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: title OT

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Well, I did not take it as rude, my friends did. When I am out I notice a lot folks taking my picture. Some try to be subtle, some don't. I do not worry about it, and do think of it as educational outreach. Hence why I try and be kind and smile when I am asked to pose with people. I hope that by posing with me, they will be a *tiny* bit more accepting of CD/TG/TS folks. Last month there was one who was pretty clearly thinking of me as a unique item ( ok, freak ) and his friends were smirking as they took the picture. SO, I kissed him as they took the pix -- right on the old lips -- and then off to dance. He deserved it

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Golightly View Post
    Nope... and they couldn't afford my modelling rates... lol
    I WISH they would pay my std modeling rate !! BUT these are just bar pix and I seriously doubt many look very good ( harsh flash light in a dark tunnel...).

IF they wanted something nice or artistic, then it would cost
    'em real ducats.
    Last edited by Holly; 04-25-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts... please use the EDIT button to add content or the multiquote function to reply to multiple posts in a single post. Multiposting is not permitted on the forum.

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    "SO, I kissed him as they took the pix -- right on the old lips -- and then off to dance. He deserved it."

Way kewl, Charlene! I love it!!!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

This happens all the time when I go to Renaissance fairs. I always let them do it. My only complaint is that I never get to get any copies.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I think that would freak me out!

Quote Originally Posted by ria_ts View Post

I don't think it is rude if people ask if they can photograph. I think it is rude if people take pictures without asking.
    In my entire male life, I can't remember a stranger asking to take my pic! Nor am I aware of anyone "sneaking" a pic of me.

If I EVER go out dressed, I would NOT WANT ANY STRANGERS taking pics of me, PERIOD!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

After a reasonable approach, followed by some some friendly conversation; I have been asked on several occasions if a pic would be all right. I almost always agree to pose with the folks asking, usually younger women. If someone just came up to me and asked for a pic point blank, I would probably refuse. If they want candid snaps like that....they can go take pictures at The Zoo. I am not a performing bear!

My Support Group always takes lots of photo's at events. For those who do not want them posted to our Yahoo Group, or on our public site, we provide them with a name tag in red. This system warns Joann (our usual photographer...and a lot of you know her,) that a picture is verboten! That seems to solve that problem.

It's only common sense, and common courtesy; whether a person is in public or not, whether you can grab a shot with your cell phone, NO PERMISSION.....NO PICTURE!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Even in big cities it happens often. Usually it's the young women but not always. Some TS girls get a little tired of it at some point and refuse. Most T-girls however like the attention of the camera.

I actually find that it's not the "freak show" thing at all. Until recently I didn't get asked individually to pose, just as part of the overall group. Some of my younger, and prettier friends got asked all the time to pose. Lately I've begun to get those same requests as I've gotten better with my presentation and a little more stylish with my choices of club wear. I think they really love the sexy look of an attractive t-girl.

How can it be rude? They asked, you said yes, nuff said.
    Sally

One last thing to keep in mind and it's important to some of us: If you don't what to show up on the web,and I mean forever, don't let anyone take your picture.

Yes... And no?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Nope, never been asked to pose with anyone except when I am with a group of 'girls'.
    I am a professional photographer and I know the rules. I even carry release contracts in my portfolio. I have two types of contracts, adult and youth.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

myspace.com/kayleephoenix Kaylee 85's Avatar
    You know, I was down in Fort Lauderdale not too long ago and this guy asked to get a pic. I figured there wasn't any harm and we were all having fun so I sayd ok. Turns out he was a photographer for out (a gay lifestyle magazine) and I ended up in it! If you want to keep your alter ego a secret you should ask the camera wielding stranger if the photo will be published next time. I didn't mind personally, actually I was glad and showed my friends how famous I was but not everyone wants that kind of recognition.

Would you believe that for all the time I spend out in the world I've never had anyone except other Tgirls I was hanging with as for a pic? I feel cheated now!

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    snip . . . I feel cheated now!
    Kim you are so darn good looking. Maybe you 'present' too well and none realize that you are even remotely a man or someone special other than being you.
    This, in it's own right, is a complement of you and your efforts.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.