Thread: Inspired by the "Who knows you CD?" thread

Inspired by the "Who knows you CD?" thread

Several people have mentioned that their doctor knows that they CD. I am curious to know how they reacted to learning about this portion of your life.

Were they surprised, concerned, amused, creeped out?

It seems like, if anyone, doctors should be aware that some of us have gender issues.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Mostly Harmless...
    I've had no reaction what ever. I dress the way I do and go to the doctor when I need to go there. They do whatever is needed to be done and ask for the next patient to come inside.

They see lots of different stuff through out their life. The same goes for nurses. The probably that you are the first one they ever have seen is rather small, unless the doctor is rather new in the business.

I'm sure people will have more issues with doctors if they have lots of piercings than if you go there dressed as a girl.
    I look like a Girl
    With Makeup on my Face
    In Reality
    A cute Kitty I am!

I have not done so yet, but one of my goals for this year is to visit my doctor for an exam and under-dress (panties, stockings, probably cami). When I do it, I'll report.
    warmly, Linnea

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    My GP was professional and courteous. She arranged the appropriate referrals and said she was happy to manage my transition on a local basis, as required.

Sarah...

I haven't troubled my doctor with the information yet but I did tell one of the local priests last year.
    This was in a kind of confessional situation, though I wasn't "confessing my sins". He wanted to know what was going really well in my life at the present, so I decided on the spur of the moment to tell him about my CDing. I could see that it took him quite off-balance because I was not at all shame-faced or furtive about it: I told him how it had improved my marriage relationship, and given me all-round happiness and relief from stress, and I could see the poor man struggling to say something postive in return.
    Perhaps it was sort of cruel to surprise him like that, but I also regard it as good piece of educational work by me. He might think differently about CDing as a result of our little talk.
    [SIZE="2"]Always be true to yourself because the people who matter don’t mind, and the people who mind don’t matter.[/SIZE]

Speaking for myself, I am a dresser, period. Not wishing to transition.
    I should like to tell a relation, but am reluctant, as---same scenario as to one's partner when one has one, ---they might turn cold and distant, which I naturally want to avoid!
    The person I would tell, is my brother, younger by 2yrs.

Sonia
    "T'aint nobody's bizness, if I do".....Billie Holliday

Devonian Miscreant

Well...

Everybody in my family had different reactions. I get all sorts of reactions, one of things about being carefree with my crossdressing is that I meet people in the street who have known me for years and didn't know I'm a CD.

My mum is slowly coming around to the concept of crossdressing as being something straight men do. I'm talking her round - well, trying.

My brothers just love me for who I am and my sister encourages it, enthusiastically letting me borrow her clothes. She's a 12 (UK) and I'm a 6, so that doesn't always work out, but great nonetheless.

My girlfriend knows I crossdress, but asks me to keep it on the down low when she stays or I see her. That's fair, I think. A fair compromise.

My favourite reaction of all time has to be an ex-girlfriend's mother, who saw me in the Co-op (British supermarket) and recognised me by the eyes. After the second glance, mind you... =]

"Uh... wow! You're looking very... uh... dashing, tonight... umm... I forgot to... I need to get some milk... excuse me! *hurries away*"

You know, to this day I'll never know whether she needed milk or not.

Undressed, it's pretty obvious that there is something "different" about me.

My doctor (young and female, if it matters) opened the door on our very first visit by asking lots of questions about my long polished nails, tattoos and piercings. She was totally cool with the explanation, just said she appreciated my being open with her, and has occasionally mentioned it at our subsequent visits, but never in a negative or disapproving way. She has even complimented me a time or two on my evolving bodyart collection. I would say she regards my gender expression as just another personal fact about me like my eye color, weight or latest test results, something to factor into her diagnoses when it matters and to pay no attention to otherwise. I couldn't ask for better.

I am seriously thinking about showing up dressed to one of my future appointments. My doc will soon be on sabbatical for a year so that won't happen until 7/2010 at the earliest, though.

Some of the other medical professionals I've dealt with have clearly not taken it quite as nonchalantly as my primary doctor, but I've never been treated in an openly demeaning or unprofessional way.

- Diane

My therapist knows and she's quite supportive. In fact, she's the one who encouraged me to join my local Tri-Ess chapter! Two of my sisters know about Audrey. One says it's no big deal to her the other is concerned that I'm going to start showing up around town in a dress and would prefer I only dress at home. I assured her the only other places I dress is at my meetings and at the fetish convention I attend every August.
    -Audrey

My therapist knows about me too. I had to tell her, I wouldn't have had much to say otherwise. She was completely cool with it. I took a couple photos with me, she seemed to enjoy looking at them.

Gold Member
    No one knows about my CDing and it will likely stay that way..at least for a while. As for doctors, since I shave my legs regularly now, I wondered what the doctor at the Vein Clinic would say....no notice whatsoever. Even the technician who mapped my veins made no mention of my shaved legs. I really didn't expect them to, but I was curious nonetheless. So, in short, only my dust bunnies know for sure!!

We were talking about my depression. She wanted to know what was causing it. I didn't really want to tell her. She said I could tell her now or I could wait and tell her the next time biut I was going to to tell her. So I told her I love to wear women's clothes. She said that I wasn't the first man that ever told her that. She was more concerned about me being depressed about it. We talk about ever now and then. I told we talk about doctor visits here on this forum and that some have gone to the doctor underdressed.
    She said if a man was wearing panties and she saw them she would have to make a comment. Not bad, but like interesting choice of undrwear. Then we both laughed. She does wonder why I do it. Thinks it may from something that happen during my childhood.
    I think it the same reason I like tatar sauce on mashed potatos, because it's just me.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My doctor has known since I first started going to her, I think that finds it amusing; but she is cool. I had a problem once where the back of my heel was hurting, and she mentioned that she called it pumps bumps when she was in school.

Several years ago, I was seeing a therapist for a different reason and told her all about my CDing. She was fine with it and several times I showed up for my session, dressed.
    Dana Ryan

I think we would be amusing to all the medical fields, from psycology to just plain family medicine.. I think also that if you have problems with your being a cross dresser then you should see a shrink.. however I have never seen my cross dressing as anything wrong with me.. if it were to bother someone else then maybe they should discuss it with someone.. I think if you are bothered by it and wanted to stop some how then see a shrink.. I never wanted to stop, and if someone wanted me to stop they should talk about this with someone...LEAVE ME ALONE!!! I'm happy and that's just alright for me..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Last year sitting naked on the table with deep red polish on my toes and she said "Cute". Then she asked if there was a reason I told her I was a CD, she asked if I wanted to be a girl, I said not now maybe 25 years ago but now was too old. Then she asked if I preferred men. I told her I preferred females but.... Then she said "Just be safe."

We'll see how it goes this year.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The very first time I saw my new, at that time, doctor I asked her if she had any problems seeing a TS. Her answer was absolutely no problem and she then shook my hand saying congratulations for having the courage to be who you are. Now we are actually friends.
    Kisses, Linda

They are human...

I've told a number of my doctors and I've gotten good feedback and I've gotten the look of, "Why the heck are you telling me this?"

My dentist and his staff thought it was cool, my podiatrist, was more like the latter. I told my podiatrist because he couldn't understand why orthotics wouldn't work for me (I've got way too many shoes and strappy ones to boot to be practical).

I was told by a T-girl who's a surgeon that her profession is filled with too many jocks, so she didn't feel comfortable telling them her secret.

So bottom line, they're human just like you and me and some may be great with it, others not so much.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I told my doctor a few weeks ago. She's middle-aged and was educated in Montreal, a very cool city. I was a bit nervous, but have always known her to be a pretty down-to-earth person.

I live in a very conservative area. There is little to no ethnic, cultural, or sexual diversity here. It is changing, but very slowly.

She responded very professionally.

She called the area "provincial" (ie. from wiktionary - Not cosmopolitan; countrified; not polished; rude; hence, narrow; illiberal), we talked about it a bit, she said it was unlikely I would find a professional in the area that would be able to help me. Actually I'm seeing her Tuesday so she can complete the referral letter into the Gender Identity Clinic at CAMH in Toronto.

-Gillian

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSchapes View Post
    So bottom line, they're human just like you and me and some may be great with it, others not so much.

-Tracy
    Here is where I am. I believe that you will run into some who are cool and some who aren't. The problem with the ones that aren't is that some are professional enough to not say anything but may rush the job because they are uncomfortable. I would rather avoid that. Human nature comes up in all interactions and this is one that I want weighted in my favor. I want to be sure I have a doctor that is comfortable sitting in a room with me and will chat a little.

Now, this is easier for me as I am not transitioning, taking hormones, or anything like that. So I keep one pair of briefs around for doctor visits and make sure the nails are clean when I go. Then all I have to say is that I prefer to not have body hair. Easy enough for me, but I know it isn't so easy for many here.
    Last edited by PretzelGirl; 05-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile On my way to transitioning very soon..

My HRT doctor wanted a general physical by my primary doctor to have a base line of my health. Had to have different exams done due to my age. Decided that as I'm TS and starting hormones soon that I should go to the exams as me, wearing what I'm comfortable in.. Well as I am 52 years old they recommend some exams such as a colonoscopy and a digital rectal exam. Well I went to the the doctor had the digital rectal exam for the prostate wearing my normal spandex pull-on pants and String thong panties. And I was surprised that when they asked for me to pull down my pants I felt no shame. I was just me Kimberly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

DON'T tell your urologist!

Back about 11 years ago, I went to see a recommended urologist. Because I WASN'T having any kind of sex back then! Nor did I want any. I wondered what was wrong with me!

I revealed my CDing, ( which was in it's infancy), to this "experienced" Doc. I told him I had NOT had sex while dressed yet. But, thot someday I mite.

He told me that CDing was BAD! And that I should NEVER have sex while doing that!

This is the SAME jerkoff who, after keeping me waiting nearly 2 hours for him at our appointment, spent the first 1/2 hour telling me how "successful" he was!

Needless to say, I dumped him, and ALL his "professional" advice immediately!

AND, the bottom line is;
    I kept CDing, and my sex life returned better than ever!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!