Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phony Avatars

Departed

Phony Avatars

I don't fault anyone for using an avatar that's not them. It takes a lot of courage to post a real picture of yourself on the Internet for all the world to see. The reality, of course, is that there's a snowball's chance in hell that anyone you know will ever find that picture and realize it's you, but that's another story.

What baffles me however is when members who use pictures that are obviously real women (unless you started transitioning at puberty) get compliments from other members. Geez, ladies, we all are XY and that Y creates some serious side effects that hamper your ability to look female. If you see a picture of someone who looks like a woman, it probably is.

Now I know places like Austins Angels do a phenomenal job of getting us to look like a real GG and you can tell the pics are professionally done. But when you see a picture that looks like it's a real GG in a natural setting or from a catalog, don't you wonder?

So ladies, before you pay out those compliments, think! We are all (mostly) men and it ain't easy for a man to get himself all pretty like a woman.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I just had to vent.
    Last edited by Julie; 07-05-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar

Arrow

I would put up a real pic of me, but I don't have all the make-up I need. I'm also growing my hair out, cause I can't afford a wig... Kinda on a budget right now. Like you said, no one I know would ever see me here. So there's my answer, beside my advatar depics my personality better, always on the defense.

Hugs, Katie
    DK Productions LLC, Giving back to the Rainbow Community. Need a DJ, Every Song Has a Story, We Make The Memory

I agree to a degree about some of the Avatars Julie, perhaps if posting an avatar of a GG a little footnote may be in order but,

If you see a picture of someone who looks like a woman, it probably is.

?????
    I'd suggest you take a look at your own, if I saw that anywhere else it wouldn't occure to me that your not a GG, and what about Amelie she's a babe then there's Mona, Cindy barnes, Mand the list goes on (sorry girls if I've missed anyone).My point is there are a lot of masculine women out there and a lot of femmanine Gurlz here. Sure some of the avatars are obviously GG's but if your fairly new to places like this and your not expecting to find GG's here it's easy to understand how you might be fooled. I know before I came here I tended to think all crossdressers were like Drag artists and way over the top.....Boy was I in for a supprise!
    [SIZE=4] Jayne xx[/SIZE]

Susan Walker

Compliments

Compliments on phony avatars. Some people are easily amused.

When I first joined, my avatar was of me dressed but from neck down. I did not have my wig yet and since then I have posted a full length avatar. If your self concoince of your looks, then just crop the top part of your pic, so only your body and legs show.

Bunny's submissive girl CharleneCD's Avatar
    Julie, I see your point and can somewhat agree. I have been fooled once by a GG avatar pic. But you need to be careful in your way of defining how to tell if the avatar is real or not. If I did not already know what gender you were born with, I would think that you were a real woman, based on your avatar pic.
    Charlene

Learn To Love Yourself And You will Find That Others Have Always Loved You But You Can Now Accept It.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleneCD
    Julie, I see your point and can somewhat agree. I have been fooled once by a GG avatar pic. But you need to be careful in your way of defining how to tell if the avatar is real or not. If I did not already know what gender you were born with, I would think that you were a real woman, based on your avatar pic.
    I'll [SIZE=5]2nd[/SIZE] that.
    Hugs,

Teddie

Platinum Member
    well all i can say abought phony avatars is some people always think thay need to be some one or something that thay are not...now some that have them came out and said this is not me ...and thats cool ...i mean be up frought if it is good if it is not don't be a plastic person.....and yes thay are my real boobs in mine....

Point taken Julie will this one be OK it is me
    [SIZE=5] [SIZE=6]Christina Jonien [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]...
    [SIZE=5]......................Tiamo[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]...........[/SIZE]

LOL I got one of those glamour shots from a makeover artist for my avatar like Julie refers to. I have never again taken a pic that good...guess I should pull it down and put up something that looks more like Deidra on a typical dressing session.

I agree with you Julie but i don't have a picture of me small enough yet on my computer so when i do i want to post it.

Bye Adrianne.

I guess it is a confidence thing, when I first joined I used an image of my wig taken from ebay!! As confidnece builds then we get to see the real person,

Fiona
    xx
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

If you don't want people to see your face, then how bout just a leg shot? I know a lot of forum sites use cartoon characters or symbols as avatars, but in a forum like this I think it helps to see the people who are talking.

Wow, austinangels looks like they do REALLY good work (probaby better than glamour shots "do they even exist anymore?"). The TG shop out in chicago is called rori's, and judging by the pictures they have on their site I'm not real impressed. I don't think they do a much better job than I can do.. austin angels looks like they do really glamourous work.
    Last edited by jo_ann; 07-05-2005 at 11:52 AM.

I haven’t got a problem with any one reconising my Aviator on here or other sites like it, these sites don’t just appear as pop ups, I have spent time searching for them or getting links from friends, so in my view any one who is lurking around on here is doing so for one of two reasons, they are either a TV or an admirer.

I can hardly see them saying to their mates down the pub guess who I saw on a Tranny site.

What are you talking about Julie...that's me.

...and hell yeah I'm the motherf--king princess!

I don't have a problem posting pics of myself because I always chop off the head!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    I don't have a problem posting pics of myself because I always chop off the head!
    We could get together and make a complete person.

You can always disguise a real pic of yourself as I like to do.
    I think it was Ronna who said that Photo Shop can make a silk purse from a sow's ear!!!!
    L&P
    Mariej
    xx

I've changed mine to a pic of me. Hope you all like.

My avatars change with my moods and needs, but I keep a real pic of me in my profile. Sometimes my avatar is of commercial models, such as my current one, sometimes an Anime/Manga character, sometimes a "sexy robot", sometimes just a thing. Occasionally I use my own pic if I can tolerate seeing myself.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brooks
    Occasionally I use my own pic if I can tolerate seeing myself.
    Stephanie, hand on heart, I think you are adorable. I don't know if it's the cool glasses, the cute hairstyle, or the terrific smile, but I actually miss seeing your avatar when it's not up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Cereal Killer Ashley in Virginia's Avatar
    I know this thread was meant for me and my avatar. I just know it .....

Amelie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley in Jersey
    I know this thread was meant for me and my avatar. I just know it .....

Ashley,,,You mean that's not you in the avatar?

My avatar is phony,, my real name is Mic Jaggar, I got this photo from some homeless, punk drag queen in the East Village.

I will admit that I find it difficult to differentiate between a GG and a CD at times. Failed that quiz thingy in one post.

Compliments are great for our confidnece, so go ahead and compliment those you like. I just hope the person being complimented can be kind and courageous enough to say "Thank you, but that's not me."

Likewise, I hope if someone wants to call a person 'out' on their avatar, they do it personally in a PM.
    DonnaT

Departed
    To clarify things, I wasn't commenting on people who use a picture other than theirself. There's a bunch of avatars you can use if you're apprehensive, don't have a decent pic or whatever reason you don't want to post a real picture of yourself. You can put up any avatar you want as long as it follows the guidelines listed in the rules which basically say it can't have a copyright on it and it can't be a nude or lewd picture. Read the rules and follow them and it's no problem.

I fully understand the reluctance of some not to put their face up on the Internet where millions of people can see them. I was nervous the first time I did it but after a year of being on two forums, nothing has come of it. And besides, I doubt anyone I work with would be caught dead coming here and even then, would they recognize me?

The first time I went to Escapades in drab the bartender, who knows Julie very well, had no idea who I was. I had to stand in front of him and speak to him before he knew and it still took him several seconds to realize who I was. That told me I have little to fear of being outed by my pictures online.

What I was saying is there are some avatars that are OBVIOUSLY GGs (unless they started HRT at or before puberty). The ones I can think offhand are full body shots with enough skin showing to let you know that's no crossdresser. Why compliment them on their looks when it's not even them? That was pretty much the gist of my post.
    Last edited by Julie; 07-05-2005 at 01:19 PM.